IGNORED

Question About Towing Device

bongobobny

I'm seriously considering this, but am not sure of how effective they are. I know this was asked in the past, but has anyone had any experience with one of these? I really don't have the room for a flatbed trailer but this would be easy to store. My main concern is what prevents the scoot from going over when towing? I don't plan on towing the scoot for any great distance, but it may be nice to have for tows of a couple hundred miles or so, or for emergencies...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260219854774&rd=1

Opinions, please.

I'm seriously considering this, but am not sure of how effective they are. I know this was asked in the past, but has anyone had any experience with one of these? I really don't have the room for a flatbed trailer but this would be easy to store. My main concern is what prevents the scoot from going over when towing? I don't plan on towing the scoot for any great distance, but it may be nice to have for tows of a couple hundred miles or so, or for emergencies...

Opinions, please.

I think for short distances it might work, but I don't think long hauls it would be too good. I not sure there would be any damage to the drive train, but there's a lot of stuff still moving up to the clutch, and the scoot is sitting at an odd angle... I donno???......... On the side to side issue, I think the 'tire well' is deep enough to keep it stable. Just tie it down. And what is the weight rating. Figure about 60% of the weight of a 1stGen being supported....

I have trailered mine SEVERAL times and I cannot see how it would be stable like that..these bikes are VERY heavy and believe me you best have it secured in SEVERAL place or it will go over,and yes I have the set up where the front wheel is clamped to the Carrier,still has to be tied in vicinity of the handlebars extending outward towards the front . Tom

Keith, I especially liked the folding one, but as you stated, a bit pricey compared to the price of the ebay one.

Jack, good point, but as I stated, primarily for short "emergency" hauls. I believe the capicity is 500 lbs so it should be OK.

Eck, well, either find a buddy or use a winch??? (It does allow for a ramp)

So far I'm thinking it may be worthwhile for the price...

I have trailered mine SEVERAL times and I cannot see how it would be stable like that..these bikes are VERY heavy and believe me you best have it secured in SEVERAL place or it will go over,and yes I have the set up where the front wheel is clamped to the Carrier,still has to be tied in vicinity of the handlebars extending outward towards the front . Tom

So, Tom, are you saying don't waste my money on it?? It may be used by other people as well for their scoots. I would have no issues with lending it out to friends as long as they understand I'm not responsible for any damage...

Guest Bigin

I read in a manual somewhere on this bike that you should not trailer the rear wheel on the ground, or coast on long downhills without engine running due to lubrication issues.

Cant find it now of course, but was considering same thing, researched it awhile back and decide not to.

IMG%5Dhttp://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e138/TMagEnterprises/Extra%20Junk/A.jpg

It does have a tie down bar across the front. As long as the forks are compressed and held firmly (as in tie downs from bar to handlebars) the only way for it to tip over is if the towing vehicle tips over. It's kind of like the Uni-go one wheel trailers.

Even on a trailer, the only reason to tie down the back is to keep it from bouncing around.

Guest Bigin

Found it, check page 8-6 of the manual.

" Do not glide for long periods with the engine off, and do not tow the cycle a long distance. Even with gears in neutral, the transmission is only properly lubricated unless the engine is running."

I read in a manual somewhere on this bike that you should not trailer the rear wheel on the ground, or coast on long downhills without engine running due to lubrication issues.

Cant find it now of course, but was considering same thing, researched it awhile back and decide not to.

I've never read this, but i know it's true from my own Expirience.

This Setup will damage a Lot of the Innards of your Tranny. First Thing which will come up is the big Ball Bearing on the outbound Transmission Shaft.

Don't ask how i know. Only Thing a would admit, it has to do with smoking .....

if you take a close look at the way that bike is straped down in there what i see is the front tire is in a cradle but the straps hook behind the forks to the frame of the bike so when you corner your puting a lot of stress on the straps sooner or later its going to snap

at least thats what i see

you may get away with it for a while but it only takes one time and your scoot is a gonner

Kinda hard to tell where the straps are attached, dray. They could be hooked to the lower triple trees, which would be OK. Or they could be attached to the fairing stay, which would be a real bad idea!

I doubt they would be attached to the frame because you're right, sooner rather than later they would snap.

Guest Bigin

My conclusion was that a very small one bike trailer was the answer for me. Yes more hassle with maintnenance, place to store it, registration, lighting wiring, etc but would feel more secure trailering a trailer, rather than a motorcycle. Still haven't bought one, but that is how I will go eventually.

Bob, dont do it, just my opinion.

look at any motorhome towing a car, the driven wheels are off the ground.

the Venture is designed to be running to lubricate bearings, bushings etc. disconnecting the driveshaft is a fairly complex job, and then when you get to where you wanted, you gotta put her back in.

find an old boat trailer and put a u-channel up the middle. boat trailer is wide and stable for towing a bike.

get some good tie down straps, (not the cheap ones, the hooks on the ends are no good, trust me, i found out the hard way with a 300 lb dirt bike.)