IGNORED

Question about crossing the northern border

CMCOFFEY

I have never been to Canada, and will find myself about 5 hours away from Canada on Labor Day weekend. I want to ride on up there so I can say I did.

The only problem is that I will have just purchased the motorcycle I will be riding. I will have the signed over title and a bill of sale. Will I have any issues getting in and out of Canada, or should I just stay in the USA?

Guest tx2sturgis

Got a Passport card?

If you want to be SURE you can ride back into the USA...you should get one.

:happy34:

I have never been to Canada, and will find myself about 5 hours away from Canada on Labor Day weekend. I want to ride on up there so I can say I did.

The only problem is that I will have just purchased the motorcycle I will be riding. I will have the signed over title and a bill of sale. Will I have any issues getting in and out of Canada, or should I just stay in the USA?

I've crossed back and forth several times and have never been asked for proof of ownership. However, I HAVE been asked to show proof of insurance valid IN Canada. Before any trip into Canada, I've obtained a 'Canadian insurance card' from my insurance company.

But all that is moot if you don't have a passport or passport card. As Brian says; Canada may let you in and out, but the US won't let you back in without a passport. And there is probably not enough time for you to get a passport before Pork in the Pines.

BTW, congratulations on finally finding your 'birth' bike.:thumbsup:

I have a passport (book and card). I will have insurance and can probably get a Canadian card before I head up there.

Is South Dakota a state where the bike keeps the plate, or does the person keep the plate?

Chris,

I will have to keep the license plate with me. SD now has the plate belonging to the owner, not the vehicle. I will have a temporary paper plate for you to have in your possession. I do not know if this will suffice for Canada or not. Besides, you wouldn't want a plate with the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor on it since you are Air Force!

Looking forward to meeting you.

Dave

They ALWAYS ask for my plate # on the way into Canada. The US never has. You must have a passport and you must have a Canadian insurance card. As long as you have no criminal record and you MUST NOT carry a weapon. No fire arms or "hunting" knives.

Personal health insurance is also highly recommended.

I trust this means you finally found the February bike you had been looking for. If you are at the Dakota border, Fiesman from the forum is not too far north of that. He is in Regina.

Edited by kevin-vic-b.c.
more info

When I went across last year I had to present passport, Canadian ins card, I had to provide them with the plate number on some sort of form they filled out. Also a reason for being there, and how long we expected to be there oh and the last time I was there.

Guest tx2sturgis
When I went across last year I had to present passport, Canadian ins card, I had to provide them with the plate number on some sort of form they filled out. Also a reason for being there, and how long we expected to be there oh and the last time I was there.

Jeeze.

I USED to want to visit Canada.

Seems like they would appreciate Americans leaving money on that side.

Guess not.

:stirthepot:

We just did the alberta crossing at glacier. Tip and I both have enhanced drivers licences, the licences would not work into mexico in texas but worked perfect into canada and back. The u.s. crossing took a little longer. I run hold on, just got interupted

Jeeze.

I USED to want to visit Canada.

Seems like they would appreciate Americans leaving money on that side.

Guess not.

:stirthepot:

Brian I'm with you. The last time I crossed into Canada I swore I would never go back due to the hassle at the border. I will say this that I was crossing the border to do work and I know that is frowned upon. But the hassle they put me through was not called for and I have traveled all over the world do to work including Australia. Now it's even worse since 9/11. But I have got to warn people our Customs and Border Protection agents are no better. BTW if you have been arrested forget it.

See what our people did to some Boy Scouts. :(

http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jul/27/border-agent-draws-gun-boy-scout-taking-photo-troo/. :no-no-no:

Guest tx2sturgis

Its crazy sometimes. There are a lot of youtube videos of people who are annoying, disrespecting, and ignoring Border Patrol agents at in-country checkpoints. I go thru these checkpoints frequently and they have new signage at many of them warning the public that you must comply with any demands. If the K9 signals the handler that your vehicle smells funny, you get to have your belongings ransacked...including having your vehicle interior disassembled.

As far as pictures, I wonder how they explain away the fact that many people have dashcams in use?

I have taken a few pictures and videos of these checkpoints mainly to show friends who are unaware of these facilities when traveling our southern highways.....of course, I dont wave the camera in the agents face or brag about it, either.

Samples?

Here ya go:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Just don't dress up like a Boy Scout and try to take a picture while crossing. I heard that Customs will take you down at gun point if you try to:

On my honor, I will do my best

To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;

To help other people at all times;

To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2014/07/23/troop-leader-says-border-patrol-agent-pointed-gun-at-scouts-head-agency-is-investigating/

:sun:

Geee..... I never have any problems crossing the border either way. when I go to the states where are you going how long are you staying and some times how much money do I have or am I bringing anything with me. when I come back how long have you been gone, have you anything to declare and do I have any alcohol?I find it all depends on who you get at the crossing. Women are easier to deal with when you go either way. Also it's easier and faster when the border is busy. They don't ask if you have been arrested it will show up if you have. And then it's usually for something more serious the a DUI that will keep you out. I think lenght of time since the offense may have something to do with it. I know a guy who has been arrested/convicted for both DUI and Fraud and crosses the boarder on a regular basses. :stickpoke:

Have never had an issue either, crossing either way. SOmetimes a line up to get through but nothing more..

Most of the time I drive up to the window, stop, take off the helmet so they can see who I am , answer 2 or 3 questions, and then continue on, the agent never even sends a guy out of the building most of the time.

Brian

At the end of the day, a lot depends on the mood of the customs agent and what kind of person they are. I've had some who asked about the bike, my club where I got parts and basically were quite friendly (While making sure they got all the info they needed in a non-confrontational way) and sent me on my way. This has been true of both sides. Other times I've caught some who obviously were having a bad day, had a "God" complex or (Watch out for a 2nd person in the booth) were training someone, when very "T" gets crossed and every "I" gets dotted. The fact is, the guy / girl in the booth has the power and they know it. Just as with any profession, you can get the unprofessional, s*&t disturbing rectum or you can get the professional "I'm just doing my job" person. Fortunately, the majority seem to be the latter so it has usually gone smoothly. Remember - they can't bend too many rules or a wacko from one side may get to the other as well as the fact that the agent can lose his / her job. I'm sure we can all relate to having to follow the rules. And of course, it's possible that the agent you pulled up to had some jackass on a loud pipe cruiser playing a wannabe badass biker giving him a hard time so he might not be too fond of bikers just then. That's when it pays to smile, pull off your helmet answer questions in a friendly manner and let him / her know we're not all jerks like the other one was. I don't mean to pick on cruiser riders (Our Ventures tend to be considered cruisers) but, in my experience, it's the "wannabes" riding them that seem to cause the most trouble. Just my 2 cents worth!

Andy