IGNORED

Battery

crazygaucho

Haven't been able to ride for a long time for health reasons and although I was starting the bike every now and then, the bike failed to star this weekend battery was totally dead

going to charge it overnight and hope for the best :fingers-crossed-emo

in case this doesn't work I'm going to need a new battery

what are your recommendations and or experience with different types or brands

money is very tight, so want to spend as little as possible but I know this bikes are heavy and I'M feeling old cripple to be pushing my RSTD

thanks in advance

Dan

Unless your health issues are near a conclusion, I would hold off getting a new battery until you are ready to be riding again.

Just starting and idling for a while will not put back the power that was used to start it. It takes a half hour with the engine at some speed to fully recharge from the start.

If you are going to let the bike sit a lot, get a battery maintainer for it.

And if its lead acid you might wanna check your cell acid levels before sticking a charger on it.. The last battery I bought was a cheapy lead acid off Amazon. If memory serves me, I paid 32 dollars for it shipped, had to buy acid for it at Autozone, about another 8 bucks.. For 40 dollars I was into a new battery.. BUT,, there are certainly MUCH better batteries available that I am sure you will hear about..

I would be careful starting your bike on a weak battery,, the hardest thing on a starter, IMHO, is a low level battery.. Just an FYI..

Good luck and glad to hear your getting back on two wheels!

Puc

I hear you about the money very tight....but I would recommend the small battery charger/tender like the one My Brother and wife gave me for my bikes batteries....from Sears....like 30 ish bucks....nice setup. .....unless your battery has a lot of age on it.....it brought both mine from dead back to life again by de-sulfication...and then charging when done...all automatic...ain't fast....at 2 amps...takes a while but works very good and has a cig lighter charge cord and clips and another flat 2 prong type. Fresh acid or electrolyte might help it a lot also. Good luck

Gaucho, I agree with Dan there. If your not going to be ably to ride it for an hour or so I wouldnt put a battery in it until your ready to ride. If its the type with the acid/water in it check the level. If its up charge it for awhile slow. Short trips are killer on any vehicle battery. Most of the time the charging systems are made that vehicles have to run 30 min or so to charge back what they used to start.

I bought a AGm battery from Bohannon battery up by Jacksonville for around $90 shipped to the house. I think Wal mart may have one for around $45.

OK so I was wrong. Checked Wally world and Autozone. They want more for the acid type than bohannon does for the AGM Deka.

Thanks you all ......... a biker neighbor lend me a small charger last night and still charging it's showing 12v now.

I going to live it a while longer at 1 amp is not going to hurt anything.

since February haven't ride much and only very short distances to like a convenient store and such . as per your advices I going to get a small charger and take it from there

per your advices I going to get a small charger and take it from there

Don't just get ANY small charger, it MUST be a "smart charger" . An ordinary small charger will cook the battery dead because it won't stop charging while plugged in. A smart charger is designed to be left connected and will measure the battery voltage and turn itself on and off to preserve the battery

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Thanks you all ......... a biker neighbor lend me a small charger last night and still charging it's showing 12v now.

I going to live it a while longer at 1 amp is not going to hurt anything.

since February haven't ride much and only very short distances to like a convenient store and such . as per your advices I going to get a small charger and take it from there

That 1 amp charger is actually a maintainer. It doesn't charge, but will keep battery fully charged when it already is. Most only put out 12.9 vdc which is more of a float voltage. There are a few maintainer/chargers available that put out 2-4 amps that will bring a battery back, but slowly. Best way to tell what you have is take a volt reading off the anodes while the battery is connected. It should read 13.4vdc+/-. Also if that charger is showing only 12 volts it ain't doing a thing.... :2cents:

Edited by Condor

Don't just get ANY small charger, it MUST be a "smart charger" . An ordinary small charger will cook the battery dead because it won't stop charging while plugged in. A smart charger is designed to be left connected and will measure the battery voltage and turn itself on and off to preserve the battery

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

Very important difference.

DelTran Battery Tender.

Worth it's weight in gold for two bikes and my sail boat. My boat battery is 8 years old and still kicking strong. My 950T battery is 3 years old and fine. Don't know age of VR battery but it's holding up well and sits on charger once a week for a day if I'm not riding...

I have 2 different smart chargers.

one is from sears and its 2 amp in twelve volts or 4 amps in 6 volts. With this charger in 2 amp mode, my battery boils over and drips acid.

the other is from harley and it puts out 3/4 of any amp. this one does not boil the battery over.

I have 2 different smart chargers.

one is from sears and its 2 amp in twelve volts or 4 amps in 6 volts. With this charger in 2 amp mode, my battery boils over and drips acid.

the other is from harley and it puts out 3/4 of any amp. this one does not boil the battery over.

If you're getting gassing with the Sears 2 amp charger check the voltage when hooked up. Anything over 13.4+ will cause a battery to 'boil', and don't.... use it on an AGM or Gel battery. If it is putting out around 14.2/3 vdc and not dropping down to a lower voltage when the battery is fully charged, it's NFG....

I use a .750 A charger/tender and it will charge then maintain the charge. :backinmyday:

It might ,if the charging voltage is up around 13.4 vdc, but have you ever charged a 80cca battery at 50% discharge?? Pack a lunch....

Pack a bunch of lunches.:stickpoke:

AND,, go get some ice cream in between,, and before,, what the heck,, an after those lunches are consumed.. May as well do it right if your gonna do it!!:stickpoke:

"EAT TO RIDE, RIDE TO EAT":cool10:

had the "borrowed" charger for two nights and part of the day so I did couple lunches and dinners lol. did not use it continuously because isn't mine

just now the battery itself is holding 12.5V when left alone and still charging about 1.2 Amps going to let it charge some more and going to star the bike around noon .......... I have one of those jumpers gizmos that fit on my saddlebags if I go for a ride I take it with me just in case

when I buy a battery charger/maintainer will get a good one, hate to pay battery tender prices but, will hate even more to fry a battery.

installed the charged battery fired up ok but, measured 12.3 Volts at the battery and it doesn't increase a bit no matter how hard I rev the engine :confused07:

Basically not charging at al all, found a fuse box on left side battery cover but those are label as head light, turn signal etc (all ok) also found a couple 30AMP fuses by left side passenger foot rest they are ok

does any body know if there any fuse for the charging system and its location ?

I know it has a lot to do with wishful thinking :fingers-crossed-emo

Dan

installed the charged battery fired up ok but, measured 12.3 Volts at the battery and it doesn't increase a bit no matter how hard I rev the engine :confused07:

Basically not charging at al all, found a fuse box on left side battery cover but those are label as head light, turn signal etc (all ok) also found a couple 30AMP fuses by left side passenger foot rest they are ok

does any body know if there any fuse for the charging system and its location ?

I know it has a lot to do with wishful thinking :fingers-crossed-emo

Dan

One of two things. Your rectifier might be bad... not a hard fix, or your stator is bad.. worse case scenario.. I'd start with the rectifier...

found rectifiers on EBay starting at $32

have no clue how to test mine for a lack of diagram but for $32 I would take a chance, it will be cheaper than taking it to a mechanic, worse case scenario I will have an spare lol thanks again

One thing you may want to do before popping for the rectifier is check the plugs for heat damage. The rectifier is located at the front of the engine just behind the bottom of the radiator. Take a look at the wires and plugs. If they kinda look brown-ish that may be your problem, and the connectors need to be cleaned up.

tested the rectifier and is ok

the stator tested at the rectifier plug and seems to be ok it has all equal resistance and isn't grounded ................. I was trying to find the 3 white wire connector on the left battery cover side and couldn't all I see is a thin different colors wire connector

took the main fuse holder out and that "gizmo" seems to be some kind of relay on the main power supply

does anybody knows what it does and how to test it??

sorry disregard the question just found out what the "gizmo" was is the starting relay and I guess is working because the bike stars

it is raining now and my back hurts a lot going to get back at it tomorrow morning

Edited by crazygaucho