IGNORED

Bike Totaled

MikeWa

I have been searching like crazy for my next venture. Let me know the mileage, price, and year you are looking for. I will keep an eye out.

Thanks

Preferred 2010 or newer, under 25000 miles. The price depends on the bike. Of course less is better. A heavily discounted new hold over could also fill the bill nicely.

Mike

Oh man,,, wish it was earlier in the season,,, LOTS of great deals out there on left over new bikes a few months ago.. Lets see,, what would I do,,,, buy a nice 1st Genny for a few hundred bucks and take the rest of the cash and TOUR THE COUNTRY :rotf::rotf: cant believe I said that...

Buy a bike to get by on and wait till off season and buy a new left over and work the deal so the dealership that I bought the left over from would put my "get by bike" on their floor when the ride season started back up, thats what I'd do.. THAN I would take my brand new left over RSV and commence to wearing that puppy out!!!

Seriously Mike, sounds like the insurance company is treating ya good! Sorry to have heard about your accident but glad your OK brother! Like Coff, I too will be keeping an eye open for you around here,, ya NEVER know what might pop up!! If I find that super deal here locally you could fly in to GR, I will pick ya up and house ya while we get that puppy ready for ya to cruise on home on! AND,, may take a little sweet talking on my part but I could probably talk Tippy into her and I following ya west a ways just to make sure that new bike is road worthy! :thumbsup2:

I just got the official word. My insurance company has totaled my Venture following an accident last month. This means I am now shopping for a replacement Venture or reasonable alternative.

Mike

There is NO alternative to the RSV !!!!! :-)

I don't remember seeing you post about an accident. As long as you are okay and didn't get hurt. Details on the accident ?

How badly was your old bike damaged? Is it worth buying it back from the insurance company for parts or for the extras you put on it? You could transfer over to your new bike what you want to keep and part out the rest.

I agree with you on the 2010 or newer... you'll still have some warranty left in case there are any warranty related problems with the new bike - just keep in mind they don't cover everything you think they would.

How "new" are you looking to go? Some brand new 2013's are still at dealers.

Man, that's a shame. From what I recall, your accident was more of a "tipping over" scenario, not really a "crash". Strange that there would be that much damage. I hope you are recovering quickly. It was nice talking to you at Venture West.

Dale

See my post about 2007 Midnight Venture, 15K miles

Yes I have been looking at your post. I just have a very hard time traveling cross country right now. So I am hoping to find something closer to home.

Mike

There is NO alternative to the RSV !!!!! :-)

I don't remember seeing you post about an accident. As long as you are okay and didn't get hurt. Details on the accident ?

How badly was your old bike damaged? Is it worth buying it back from the insurance company for parts or for the extras you put on it? You could transfer over to your new bike what you want to keep and part out the rest.

I agree with you on the 2010 or newer... you'll still have some warranty left in case there are any warranty related problems with the new bike - just keep in mind they don't cover everything you think they would.

How "new" are you looking to go? Some brand new 2013's are still at dealers.

I haven't started a thread about my accident yet. I have posted some info on a couple of other threads. As soon as I get some issues resolved i will post a fresh thread.

Mike

Man, that's a shame. From what I recall, your accident was more of a "tipping over" scenario, not really a "crash". Strange that there would be that much damage. I hope you are recovering quickly. It was nice talking to you at Venture West.

Dale

Yes but it was more of a flipping over than tipping. So the bike hit pretty hard. I think the big thing was it bent the frame and forks and sheared off the steering stop.

Mike

I just got the official word. My insurance company has totaled my Venture following an accident last month. This means I am now shopping for a replacement Venture or reasonable alternative.

Mike

Steve / M61A1MECH is on the verge of selling his 07 RSV since he is soon to be picking up his new wing. I do not wish to speak for him, but I believe he will be looking to sell right after the IR. perhaps giving him a shout may ease your search. BTW, in case you haven't seen the bike, it's immaculate with plenty of lights and chrome. I hope you are healing and doing well otherwise...

I purchased a 2010. Right now I have both bikes in the back yard so I can transfer the bling. That is very hard to do one handed. Looking at my old bike, it doesn't look that bad. I would not have guessed it would be totaled. Of course repairing the steering stop is a major job. I am not going to fret over it. I will just swap over my chrome & extras and be done with it. I ended up even money. What I got for my 08 paid for the 10.

Mike

Once the steering stop is sheered its automatically a total. I'd would buy it. Where is it ?

IronMike

It is currently in my back yard. Near SeaTac airport. Allstate insurance will be picking it up from Auburn WA on Friday.

Mike

Ok I have both bikes in my back yard and I am swapping out some safety chrome. But now that I can finally move around a little bit I don't see the main reasons they said they totaled the bike for. The steering stops are not sheered off. In fact the steering seems fine to me. At least on the jack in the back yard. The stops are there and the stop points match the replacement bike. I also can't see where the frame is bent either. But that could just be my limited mobility. I do see a damaged front fairing. Sand and repaint R-side or replace. (I have matching paint) The trunk is bashed in and needs replaced. Front engine guards are bent. Lower fairing is damaged. Possibly inner and outer. Passing lights are banged up. But they can just be removed. A lot of the safety chrome sustained damage but now that it is removed the bike looks pretty good.

Allstate wants $2500 salvage. If I shop for parts and repaint myself I might be able to get by with $3000 in parts. The bike already has new tires and brakes etc. So the question begs is a 2008 with a salvage title worth more than $5500? What would you do?

I'd have to say strip off the old bike what you can, and let it go.

Make sure you take off any discontinued parts or things that were on the '08 that aren't on the '10. Was you '08 an 'S' ?

Yes it was an S but so is the 10. I will just make sure I get my cup holders etc. etc.

Mike

I would have offered them 1500 for it and kept it for parts at least or made something radical out of it. If the frame is bent it is toast. But some dude out in California has a machine the straightens them, saw it on TV.

I agree Mike. That's what I offered them $1500. But no deal.

In a way it is a relief. I don't have another project which I don't really want anyway. And later I won't have to look back and say woulda, coulda, shoulda. $2500 plus maybe $3000 in parts plus labor and a salvage title just doesn't work for me. I asked them about a clean title and they said no. So who would pay $5k or 6k for an 08 with a salvage title. Even if I parted it out there would be very little profit for a lot of work. So it is off to the bone yard for this puppy.

Mike