IGNORED

Oil Pressure

What might cause the oil warning indicator to come on during hard acceleration at high rpms? The oil level was in the center of the the sight glass.

Perhaps an inferior oil filter? I think the last one was installed at the dealer when I had some other maint done there.. But I do not know if it was an oem filter.

Maybe the pump is working good but the oil is being slowed in its return to the sump.

This happened only 2 times prior to tearing the bike down for second gear. I want to address this issue as I reassemble.

The oil warning light is for the fluid level only, not pressure. Under hard acceleration, the oil will slosh to the rear of the engine causing the sending unit to drop lower and signal the warning light. What matters is the oil is at the proper level and that the oil pump is working moving the oil.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

While you have the engine out, remove the float switch on the bottom of the oil pan....inspect float. Sometimes the ball float can be sludged up and stick down when oil level drops during acceleration.

While you have the engine out, remove the float switch on the bottom of the oil pan....inspect float. Sometimes the ball float can be sludged up and stick down when oil level drops during acceleration.

One of the things I try to do when I change my oil, is after I have drained it, I will turn the ignition switch to ON and see if the oil level icon comes on. I wonder if anyone else ever does this. :confused24:

RandyA

One of the things I try to do when I change my oil, is after I have drained it, I will turn the ignition switch to ON and see if the oil level icon comes on. I wonder if anyone else ever does this. :confused24:

RandyA

Good idea! Thanks

Sometimes mine comes on when I am accelerating on the on ramp getting onto the freeway. It only does it if the engine hasn't warmed up yet, driven maybe a mile or mile and half. Once it's warmed up it never does it no matter how hard I accelerate.

When I change the oil I pour in the stated quantity in the FSM, After I start the bike to get the oil pumped to everywhere it has to be I check the site gauge. The gauge has oil to the top of the glass, maybe a little above. If you are showing the oil level half way up the glass your low on oil; so when you "get on it" the oil travels to the back of the engine/trans and your light comes on. Get the oil level up where it's supposed to be and do it again and see what the light does then.....

When I change the oil I pour in the stated quantity in the FSM, After I start the bike to get the oil pumped to everywhere it has to be I check the site gauge. The gauge has oil to the top of the glass, maybe a little above. If you are showing the oil level half way up the glass your low on oil; so when you "get on it" the oil travels to the back of the engine/trans and your light comes on. Get the oil level up where it's supposed to be and do it again and see what the light does then.....

Doug, if you seeing the oil level "to the top of the glass, maybe a little above" you have overfilled it.

The oil level should settle to between the hash marks on the sight glass.

Most of the Ventures will pump oil into the air filter housing if the oil level is at the "max" line, so most of us try to maintain the level in the middle of the sight glass, equal distance from the "min" and "max" lines.

Doug, if you seeing the oil level "to the top of the glass, maybe a little above" you have overfilled it.

Most of the Ventures will pump oil into the air filter housing if the oil level is at the "max" line, so most of us try to maintain the level in the middle of the sight glass, equal distance from the "min" and "max" lines.

I second that motion!!

I third this. I always try to run mine in the mid range and I have never had my oil level light come on and I do check to see that it works when changing oil. And, this with the bike seeing 8,000rpm's many times. If my oil level is in the lower range, I don't get excited about it.

Interesting though that I always run my cars at the top of the range on the dipstick.

RandyA

OK what I SHOULD HAVE said was this:

When I add the 3.7 qts. of oil the oil covers the sight glass completely; after running the engine to check for leaks, fill the filter, and to distribute the new oil the level AT FIRST again covers the lens because it's draining but settles down to the high mark on the sight gauge. The FSM says the oil should be between the high and the low mark, when it's full (that's 3.7 qts w/filter change IAW the FSM) the oil will be at the high mark on my bike. Your bike might be the same or different. I recommend you follow the FSM for your bike and the good advice available here.

Edited by dna9656

Just did my first oil change with filter on the 89VR. Took my time, fudged around...figured out what was what, with a little help...of course!

Added Yamalube 20-50 ...3.5 qrts. After running for a few to check for leaks...oil level is just above mid-level.

I run same oil on my 950T vtwin. Runs quiet, shifts smoothly...so...bottom line for me is good ole dino oil.

I noticed that the air cooled engines (like my Road Star 1600AL) like and take the 20W50 as opposed to the more car light weight of the liquid cooled Venture motors. Some one told me a long time ago all bikes use 20W50 but that must have been the air cooled jobs....