IGNORED

When nap time comes...

Flyinfool

It seems everyones bike will lay down for a nap at some point in time.

When that time comes, I will be able to figure out what to do fast enough to take care of me. My question is what should I coach my passenger to do when that time comes.

I am not talking about a moving crash, just about the one where you stop and your foot hits a hole or a slick spot or loose gravel or wet grass type of thing.

I already tell her to NEVER stick her foot out to try to stop the bike from falling, If it has already gone far enough that her foot reaches the ground and I have not yet caught it then she will only break her leg trying to stop 1000+ lbs.

Is it safer for the passenger to just remain still and seated and let the crash bars do their thing?

Or is it better to have the passenger try to bail off and get out of the way? (She is not real agile)

If she has allready put her foot out to stop from going down I would say to just try and step off it as it is going down, and for sure not try to help hold the bike up.

If she keeps her feet on the foot rests I would think to just hang on and let the crash bars do their work.

I dont think that the passenger has much luck at bailing off if you have a back rest and the rear trunk.

This is a good thing to talk over with your passenger. I will like to see the others answers to this.

Orlin

Tell your passenger that if she thinks the bike is tipping over to lift her feet STRAIGHT UP and OFF of the floorboards! If she keeps her feet on the floorboard it is very likely that her foot/ankle can get trapped between the floorboard and bike.

Boomer....who sez a trip to the ER to check for a possible broken ankle is not a pleasant experience for any passenger.

Linda and I have ridden for five years and had a tip over once each year. Fortunately, she has not had any serious injuries, other than some elbow scrapes and soreness. I did have some the rib injuries last year. The closest call for her was two years ago when we tipped over to the left and the rear crashbar actually pinched her shoe off her foot. This one could have easily crushed her foot.

There is no real good way to get off in a tip over, but to me, leaving your foot on the rear peg/foot board would not be the best. On a 1st gen, which will go all the way to the ground. the passenger's 1st point of contact will be their elbow and shoulder. The best way may be to swing their leg out as wide as they can and try to step away from the bike and as they fall toward ground, try to roll.

Then again, you can practice, practice, practice. :whistling:

RandyA

We practiced that maneuver a number of times. We were riding an 85, with passenger floor boards. If Marca stayed put, feet on boards and hands on grab rails, she came out maybe a little dusty, but totally unscathed. When she tried some sort of rescue, either for herself or the bike, it always seemed to hurt somewhere. So she stays put, put!!!

No matter what you suggest to a passenger on what to do in a case of fall over, you can bet their instinct WILL BE to put their foot on the ground, with their arm flying outward in an effort to try and catch themselves as they turn their head in the direction they are falling so they can also smash their face on the pavement.

Here is a test for you as the driver..

Go sit in a chair on you living room carpet, and let your mate push you over sideways and I want to hear you tell me that you can hold your arms in, and NOT put your leg out to catch yourself....and not LOOK to see what's coming...

It is a normal human instinct to protect oneself.

All the preaching in the world will never stop them (or yourself) from reacting in a normal human protective manor.

It's like this:

Yea honey, if I happen to accidently drop the bike over, I want you to just sit there and keep your feet planted here, don't move them!!! And put your hands hands together and pull them in around your chest, and turn your head AWAY from the direction we are falling..

Oh yea, I can see it now....

All I see is the driver extend his leg out in direction the bike is falling, cussing, grunting, and them JUMPING out of the way and letting whatever happens, happen to the bike and to their loved one, and hope for the best..only to find out the palm of the hand, their elbow is all scuffed up and their leg or foot is lodged between the bike and the pavement. Then as the driver goes to pick up the bike (it comes first) their mate is rolling outward using words that would make a sailor squinch. Then the driver realizes he put the bike before his loved one, and as he stands there holding his bike, fumbling for the kick stand as he looks in the direction of his mate with this strange look of concern.. he said, are you ok honey?

Yep.. I see that you saw it too.......:thumbsup2:

My understanding is the passenger is supposed to cushion the fall of the bike, drop between bike and ground, so that there is no damage to said bike!! :whistling:

Forget that. I can fix the bike. My passenger is instructed to fall so that I can land on said passenger.