IGNORED

Biker killed, how fast do you think he was going?

Venturous Randy

I always remember Owen's comment as to why he got rid of his VMax, that he could feel his IQ dropping 10 points every time he got on it. I have met a lot of people over the years who's "first bike" was something like a GSXR or even one with a Hayabusa. I also find it interesting that nearly all of them were men. Very few of us "lady riders" are dumb enough to think that we can handle something that big as a first bike. I went up the ladder, ie. 50cc, 500cc, 650cc, my RSTC, and now my RSV. Anyone who starts at the top of that list or larger sizewise, IMHO, get what they've asked for.

left behind a girlfriend with two small kids. His just got the GSXR in December. was a member of the social street racers society. Go figure:doh:

Sorry for the rider and his family, however you can't cheat death but so many times before it catches up with you. There is a kawasaki dealer in Thomasville, GA that is one of the most knowledgeable people about motorcycles I have ever met. He raced bikes for many years. He told me guys will come into the dealership and they want the fastest kawasaki he has. I don't remember the model of the bike but he said you can be going 120mph and twist the throttle and the bike will stand up. First thing he asks is "how many years experience do you have riding a bike and when they say this will be my first bike he says "sorry I won't sell this bike to you." Of course they then ask him why and he tells them, "I don't like going to funerals and if I sell you this bike in about 2 weeks I will be going to your funeral." The dealer said he made one exception when a guy said he had ridden a friends bike for several months. The dealer then told me to look up the street and said, " you see that shopping center, when I said yes, he said well the guy went through a plate glass window there about 2 weeks after buying the bike.

Wow,, thats a bad one, condolances/prayers for all involved.. Ok,, how fast.. Rode an R1 a few times - 102 MPH in first gear (according to speedo) and got there RIGHT NOW.. I really cant tell by the pics if it was an R1 - sure looks like it.. If he bounced it off the rev limiter and shifted into second he was well above 100.. The roof pics are amazing, the sheered off front end sure looks like a very highspeeder,,,,,,, gonna guess 140.... Definitly faster than his Angel could fly...

Sad, real sad..

Puc

To do that kind of damage would take about 110 to 120 mph minimum. I feel sorry for the gf and relatives. You just can't fix stupid! On a racetrack, everyone is headed in the same direction and you're not likely to find someone turning in front of you. That's why those speeds are normally reserved for that locale. Even at my youngest and stupidest, I knew better than to hit high speeds in residential areas - you just can't be sure what will happen. Then again, my father was a truck driver (Big rig) for 35 years and he used to tell me about some of the nastier accidents he saw - that was enough to make me a wee bit more cautious!

Andy

Sorry for the rider and his family, however you can't cheat death but so many times before it catches up with you. There is a kawasaki dealer in Thomasville, GA that is one of the most knowledgeable people about motorcycles I have ever met. He raced bikes for many years. He told me guys will come into the dealership and they want the fastest kawasaki he has. I don't remember the model of the bike but he said you can be going 120mph and twist the throttle and the bike will stand up. First thing he asks is "how many years experience do you have riding a bike and when they say this will be my first bike he says "sorry I won't sell this bike to you." Of course they then ask him why and he tells them, "I don't like going to funerals and if I sell you this bike in about 2 weeks I will be going to your funeral." The dealer said he made one exception when a guy said he had ridden a friends bike for several months. The dealer then told me to look up the street and said, " you see that shopping center, when I said yes, he said well the guy went through a plate glass window there about 2 weeks after buying the bike.

That sounds like a dealer I wanna be associated with. He's spot on.

Like they said, too fast.

Brenda H Yesterday the tent I had just seam sealed and waterproofed was stolen while in my back yard to air out the Waterproofing.

That line about His IQ dropping ten points soon as he got on the V Max was the First thing since my tent got stolen that made me laugh. :rotf:

What if that pickup truck had been a child on a bicycle or similar? Sad day anyway you look at it.

Exactly what I was thinking. If someone had to die here, at least it was not some innocent victim. I really don't know how someone can think it's ok to drive that fast, especially in the city, and think nothing bad will happen. It turns out he was not invincible after all.

Dale

looking back, not being able to afford a really fast bike on my days it was actually a blessing.

they call me crazy for a reason but I think there is a very bad combination going on,

very fast bikes plus a generation of kids that grew up playing nintendo and playstation .......

Yes he was going stupid fast but it seems the truck pulled out in front of him and that's not right either.

As a professional driver of over 30 years and millions of miles. I always say if you are speeding and someone pulls out on you, you are equally at fault. You clouded their judgement by speeding.

If they look left right left and they see you on one look way back there and you're doing triple the speed limit, you're going to get to them three times faster than they thought.

Now if you are doing the speed limit or even within 10 MPH of it and they pull out on you, get mad if you want, although it won't change anything.

But if you or any rider, whatever.... is having fun with the throttle and someone pulls out on you/them, it's no foul. YOU were in the wrong!

Everyone gets on it sometime or another. But in any place that has cross traffic or even driveways, it's a dumb idea. Really dumb.

For testing Carbs and for vibration tests and such I have a little road a mile from here, farm land on both sides for 2 miles, no driveways or intersections almost straight. I have seen police on that road a few times. But I don't have to worry about anyone pulling out on me.

Re: IQ drop

THAT's the reason I don't have one of those bikes. I rode during high school, but then did the got married thing and bikes went away. September will be 3 years I've been back riding and I would absolutely love to have a fast "street" bike. The problem with that would be, if I had it, I would ride it...and I have never been able to do anything just a little bit. I have too many other things I want to do before leaving here to own one of those, and risk the results of my IQ drop should I get on it.

As a professional driver of over 30 years and millions of miles. I always say if you are speeding and someone pulls out on you, you are equally at fault. You clouded their judgement by speeding.

If they look left right left and they see you on one look way back there and you're doing triple the speed limit, you're going to get to them three times faster than they thought.

Now if you are doing the speed limit or even within 10 MPH of it and they pull out on you, get mad if you want, although it won't change anything.

But if you or any rider, whatever.... is having fun with the throttle and someone pulls out on you/them, it's no foul. YOU were in the wrong!

Everyone gets on it sometime or another. But in any place that has cross traffic or even driveways, it's a dumb idea. Really dumb.

For testing Carbs and for vibration tests and such I have a little road a mile from here, farm land on both sides for 2 miles, no driveways or intersections almost straight. I have seen police on that road a few times. But I don't have to worry about anyone pulling out on me.

Well said. It is all about accountability.

I too am a professional driver of over 36 yrs and millions of miles and I make part of my decision on pulling out in front of someone based on their speed. Again speed played a huge factor in this but I get tired of the biased against crotch rockets I see on this board and others all the time. You can't totally absolve the p/u driver in this. I bet if the guy in question had been riding a RSV we would see a different angle on these posts.

Every kid on one wheel going down the highway has the RIGHT to do that but when you get caught don't blame cops. Enough Accidents happen to people who are driving responsibly. It's because people don't act responsibly that we have to enact helmet laws, speed laws, etc. If I may say many people do not approve of irresponsible riders no matter what they ride. And to have motorcycle parts on a roof instead of scattered on a lawn says no matter how well you ride you are not riding to survive nor paying attention to the speed limit which is in place to protect the kids, in a residential area. Don't do the crime if you can't afford the fine and the fine for daredevil stunts no matter if it's riding or extreme skiing, racing boats fast can be fatal

Must be why car adds say done on a closed course.

I used to have a Madura 1200. 1/4 turn on the throttle gave you 150 mph right now. I really liked that bike. In fact I did get clocked at 150 but no way could they catch me. Just after these bikes came out there was a picture of an accident on the 401 where the bike was going full bore and a car pulled out in front of him. He cut the car in half. Killed four in the car and himself. That speed and power is addictive. The cops actually asked me to slow down. After a few years with it I decided that it might be a good idea to live a little longer and sold it. I am very happy with my Venture now.

Ok I'll jump on board. He got exactly as he deserved. Glad he got what he had coming. That truck driver is a hero for taking that jerk off the road. I guess every time we did something stupid when we were younger we ALL should have been a grease spot on some road with no sympathy whatsoever. Happy!!