IGNORED

Buy a new bike or not?

etcswjoe

Came in from the garage the other day really frustrated at my bike (charging issues) and my wife told me to just go buy a new one. I have looked at several other bikes including Harley Ultras, Victory both the Cross Country and the Vision, Indian Chief, Voyager, ST1300, Concourse and Gold Wing but none of those seem to fit me and my wife as well as the Venture. The issues I have is since a new Venture would be exactly like my 99 I would be paying mostly for a 5 year warranty an ipod and a different color and of course everything working properly. I have found a leftover new 2012 for 14900, not sure if that is a good price or not but I just can't seem to bring myself to pull the trigger. I have not totally discounted Wings but have not found one with a seat yet that would comfortably fit both he the wife and me. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

14900 is really low! left overs around are 17400 no less!

When it comes down to it it's your call I road just about every touring bike expect Victory and I have to say by far Second Gen gives the best leg room for me anyway I love the Wing as for power and handling bar none but it tore my knees up I love the Venture yet Peg prefers the Wing for better back support

Joe,

As Buddy said, $14,900.00 is REAL low for a brand new never been titled before Venture. However, I know exactly what you mean and the quagmire you're in trying to make this decision. If your looking at purchasing a brand spanking new bike, it's extremely hard to justify the Venture that is basically the same bike that it was in 1999. I have went through this exact same mental exercise a quazillion times in the last couple years. What makes it so attractive is we all know how good of a bike the Venture or in my case the RSTD is. And if you're like me, you've added a lotta stuff to your current bike that could transfer directly over to your new Venture thus saving you even more money.

But, man, I am so tempted by all of the new bikes that you named with their fancy dancy offerings of heated seats, heated grips, fuel injection, cool tire sizes, more horsepower, no 6 disc cd changer, no cassette deck, more storage, etc, etc, etc.

Heck, I'm just as confused as you are. LOL.

The only real advise I can give you is something I have finally learned with age; Don't buy anything that you have a little voice of doubt in your head about. I don't care if it is a coke and a bag of chips, if you're having uneasy feelings about the purchase, don't buy it. I didn't say never buy it, I said don't buy it. That could mean wait for a spell until you feel at peace with the purchase. But, I have finally learned the lesson that we all have a still small voice in us, I choose to believe it is my Lord trying to guide me, that we should constantly be listening to for guidance, and we DO hear that voice on a regular basis, but go against it on a regular basis. Many times resulting in a bad experience in the end. I now, which is very different from my younger years, insist to myself that I MUST be totally at peace and elated about a purchase, or I absolutely don't do it. I wish I would've paid more attention to my still small voice back when i was younger. Could've avoided some painful purchase experiences. LOL.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

BL

"but none of those seem to fit me and my wife as well as the Venture".....sounds like you already know the answer....if you like the Venture and it fits right....why spend money on a "maybe" fit. Having come fronm a Wing myself, I have to say the only complaint I had with the Wing was the seating position......the Venture fixed that problem for me though.

That sounds like a really good deal.

You could also take off the '99 anything you added that you want to keep. The new bike could look different than the '99 depending on how you bling it out.

Or....

Rumour is that there is a new touring bike coming out from Yamaha next year, or the year after that, or the year after that. :-)

Still... $14,900 is a good price. If a new model is released, you could probably sell the '12 for what you pay for it.

Joe,

I am doing the same thing. I actually posted my bike Saturday evening for sale. The plan is to buy a left over 2012. Yes I can find them cheap around me as well. Roughly around $15K. I have thought about the Victory Cross Country as well. You can find a great used one and would get FI and some more amenities we don't have with the Venture. And I will say other than lower cornering clearance in my experience, the Victories ride great and are roomy.

I used to ride a Concours. I loved the old 1000 Concours and really love riding the 1400 but my body can't take that anymore. The other bike I have been toying with is an adventure style bike. A buddy of mine bought a new BMW 1200 GS and it is incredible. Handles like a sport bike on the street. It does decent off road as well. The seating position is pretty comfy as well. At least 1 up. The price sucks so I have been looking at the Vstrom 650. The frame is the same as the 1000 and the 650 motor is pretty peppy. I don't usually ride 2 up unless it is my 8 year old son. So for me the 650 Adventure model would work perfectly. And with the Adventure model you get a better windsheild, FI, ABS, engine guards, hand guards, side bags, warranty all for the low price of $10K brand new. It is definetly appealing to me. Of course all my riding is mostly just me. I guess if mine sells we will see what happens.

Guest tx2sturgis
I have looked at several other bikes including Harley Ultras, Victory both the Cross Country and the Vision, Indian Chief, Voyager, ST1300, Concourse and Gold Wing but none of those seem to fit me and my wife as well as the Venture.

Now...just sayin....since you named a lot of bikes that DONT make your short list, maybe its time to expand the list and see what else might float to the top.

Can-Am Spyder. http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/

Stallion. http://thoroughbred-motorsports.com/

Triumph. http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/bikes/rocket/2014/rocket-iii-touring

Boss Hoss. http://www.bosshoss.com/

Lehman. http://lehmantrikes.com/

There are a lot of options, more than I can think of here.

:happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis

The best advice ever!

I MUST be totally at peace and elated about a purchase, or I absolutely don't do it. I wish I would've paid more attention to my still small voice back when i was younger. Could've avoided some painful purchase experiences. LOL.

I agree with ya there Big Lenny, I try to do the same, and looking back even just recently-- its really paying off

I choose to believe it is my Lord trying to guide me,
Edited by Hazenson
adding more

Joe,

Buy the leftover and know that it will fit you and the wife along with all the items to transfer over.

The insurance of knowing the noise from the backseat will be a pleased passenger rather than a possible negitive noise is like no other insurance can buy.

:whistling:mike

Thanks everyone for the advice, I think I will keep shopping around, like several have said if I have some doubt I should not buy even if it is a good deal.

I had replaced my stator and R/R two years ago with the high output ones from Buckeye and about 3 months ago I had a R/R go bad so I bought another one from Buckeye and it was bad out of the box (undercharging), so he sent me a new one and it lasted about 500 miles before it started overcharging so he sent me another one and it has been on the bike for a day now will see how it works out.

Says it is a Venture S and the color is intense black so I am assuming it's a midnight. The salesman is supposed to call me today for my answer.

I bought my 12 in 12. Yes I knew the model would likely cease the next year. No, I didn't care.

1. There's enough of these beasts around to keep the aftermarket parts availability up.

2. built with 90's technology? So what. I'm built with 50's technology and I still work good. At least I can understand how it works without having to plug it in to a computer.

3. Outdated design and style? It looks to me like a motorcycle is supposed to look. Clean, functional, strong. Some of the newer designs look more like mobile sculptures than bikes.

4. I and, more importantly, my wife, think its the most comfortable 2up ride available.

I'd buy it again tomorrow. Get one while you still can.

I have heard MANY 1st genners say they notice the color change as we (Midnighters) pass them,,,, I think it is from the intense friction caused by the wind. It also causes a wind tunnel which temporally increases the speed of their bikes.:cool10::confused24:

I have heard MANY 1st genners say they notice the color change as we (Midnighters) pass them,,,, I think it is from the intense friction caused by the wind. It also causes a wind tunnel which temporally increases the speed of their bikes.:cool10::confused24:

That explains it then. LOL.

Thanks.

Guest tx2sturgis
Whats the difference between: Midnight, Intense Black, and Raven?

To me, they all look like the same gloss black. How many shades of gloss black could there be?

Just wonderin.

The Midnight has some extra bling...chromed forks...etc...

:cool17:

Guest tx2sturgis

I had replaced my stator and R/R two years ago with the high output ones from Buckeye and about 3 months ago I had a R/R go bad so I bought another one from Buckeye and it was bad out of the box (undercharging), so he sent me a new one and it lasted about 500 miles before it started overcharging so he sent me another one and it has been on the bike for a day now will see how it works out.

Does it occur to you to replace the aftermarket stuff with an OEM stator and R/R?

:think: