IGNORED

I was thinking along the lines of GodLover's recent post

SilvrT

Guest tx2sturgis
If they were to water cool it like HD did their bike this year, money would be flying outta my pocket to acquire me a new CCT.

On the current line-up, (not counting the V-Rod)they only added liquid cooling to the heads, near the exhaust port, and only on a couple of high-output, $40,000 models.

I'm not in the market for another HD, but if I was, the price jump of 20 grand for a bit more power and comfort, and a couple of tiny radiators, would be a reason to stay with air-cooling...at least for me.

Actually, ALL motorcycle engines are aircooled. (either directly or air across a radiator) ..some just add water cooling (or additional oil cooling) to help get rid of internal heat a bit faster.

The new HD 500 and 750 Streets will have full water cooling...if you are in the market for a 'small' Harley.

:happy34:

I couldn't care less what transportation Buddy, Peg and the rest of you use to get to the events. It's the PEOPLE that make the site enjoyable. All this nonsense on what rides and on here for X years....just stop. For $1 a month you get unlimited advice, tips, service questions asked, family gatherings, humor, accessories, ideas, companionship and lasting friendship. Where can you get all of that for $1 per month????? Perhaps we shouldn't take the site for granted. If you don't contribute, then start! If you're starting a new chapter in life, SHARE. Everyone learns and feels grateful for some person, article or post from here at one point or another. For me, I wanna see. Buddy, Patti and the rest of the gang, regardless of ride, or other assorted reasons...

Yeah all of that Barry...... Just wish we could see you all more often :crying:

On the current line-up, (not counting the V-Rod)they only added liquid cooling to the heads, near the exhaust port, and only on a couple of high-output, $40,000 models.

I'm not in the market for another HD, but if I was, the price jump of 20 grand for a bit more power and comfort, and a couple of tiny radiators, would be a reason to stay with air-cooling...at least for me.

Actually, ALL motorcycle engines are aircooled. (either directly or air across a radiator) ..some just add water cooling (or additional oil cooling) to help get rid of internal heat a bit faster.

The new HD 500 and 750 Streets will have full water cooling...if you are in the market for a 'small' Harley.

:happy34:

Hey Brian,

You can buy the new HD Ultra Glide water cooled for $26K-ish. I just left the dealership about 30 minutes ago. I was there buying passing lamp besels and I looked at a couple of them and talked to the salesrep. They did have one that was like a screamin eagle type bike that listed for $40K, but the standard water cooled Ultra is in the mid to slight more than mid $20K's.

From my perspective, it makes no difference to me if a bike is "water" cooled or not. The Vic is air and oil cooled and they have a fairly large oil cooler. These engines run cooler than an HD and bike engines have been air cooled since the beginning. Some complain about the excess heat but that is coming from the exhaust on these bikes, not the engine so much. The catalytic converters are the source of it and those are right under your feet. Remove them and it's a world of difference.

Yes, that anniv edition is a sharp looker.

I agree oil cooling is a big deal, and it's certainly a good thing that the Vic has it. However, I've always heard, therefore I have formed a belief that water cooled engines keep a more constant temperature, which in turn helps with the overall longevity of the motor. We hear stories of folks getting high 100K's to even 200K's on the Venture motors, I personally know someone that put well over 200k miles on a Goldwing with no engine work. However, when you hear of air cooled engines that are at that mileage it always seems like they have had some work on the motor somewhere down the line to get them to the that high mileage.

Just my ywo cents.

However, when you hear of air cooled engines that are at that mileage it always seems like they have had some work on the motor somewhere down the line to get them to the that high mileage.

Just my ywo cents.

Those were probably harleys ... :whistling:

One should keep in mind that a lot of the Harley owners tend to beef up their engines by doing some motor work ... heads, big bore kits, etc so ya, buddy has 120,000 but he's done a bunch of motor work... was it needed to get to that?

There are a few Vic owners reporting over 100,000 and no issues but these bikes are too new to have a lot of them. There are quite a few tho that are pushing 80,000 without any issues. All a good sign.

What about the old days when we rode the in-line 4's ... all air cooled. I've had a few of them and have put a lotta miles on them, ran the crap outta them ... never an engine problem.

just sayin yanno....

Glad you (and Godlover) decided to stick around Silver, I agree with what others have said about this site being about wayyy more than what type of bikes we ride!!!

Concerning air cooled/oil cooled/water cooled bikes.. In the dirt bike world (made my living spinning wrenches on/selling MX bikes back when the sport was hot) the air cooled bikes had to have looser tolerances than those of water cooled bikes.. The closer tolerances possible with water cooling allowed for the faster/higher revving bikes like the new 4 stroke dirtbikes, the crotch rockets and stuff.. It also allowed them to become very efficient compared to the counterparts..

I have a hunch (my opinion) that one of the main reasons that HD is fooling with water cooling their exhaust valves has more to do with being able to pass emissions (run em leaner/more efficient), get more power out of the displacement..

Personally, it amazes how far technology has taken us in motorcycling, I cannot think of one of the modern day bikes that I wouldnt be proud to own and ride.. The main reason that I love and ride these old Yam V-4's is because of their affordabiliy and that allowes me to ride more.. If I could afford it I would be like Jay Leno and have one of everything,, including a Victory Vision :stirthepot:

Then I would ride a different bike everyday, camping all across the country, going from rally to rally playing with all my good friends and family found on here CAUSE for me,,, THAT is what its all about!!!:bighug:

It's been almost a year since I bought my Victory and I've been spending a lot of time on those forums. I still come here on a regular basis but I'm finding that there just aren't many threads that grab my attention anymore. In addition, aside from a bit of humour now and then, I've little to contribute.

My subscription is coming due soon and I've been struggling with the idea of renew or not renew.

Well, I've decided!

I've kind of been feeling the same way since I bought my HD in 2011. I always chime in on posts that arent really motorcycle related etc. And I usually check on the chat room every night, but even that isnt what it used to be. Well the day before yesterday my subscription ran out, and I thought "I'll just let it go, I dont contribute that much anymore" It took one day to renew it. I came back yesterday to just see what was going on for the day, and the first thread I looked at had a picture with it. I couldnt look at the pic, so I immediately renewed. I guess a guy doesnt have to contribute to still stay informed......

I've kind of been feeling the same way since I bought my HD in 2011. I always chime in on posts that arent really motorcycle related etc. And I usually check on the chat room every night, but even that isnt what it used to be. Well the day before yesterday my subscription ran out, and I thought "I'll just let it go, I dont contribute that much anymore" It took one day to renew it. I came back yesterday to just see what was going on for the day, and the first thread I looked at had a picture with it. I couldnt look at the pic, so I immediately renewed. I guess a guy doesnt have to contribute to still stay informed......

:sign yeah that:I just re-up'ed myself. It's all about the good people on this site and the tech knowledge. THANKS!

It's been almost a year since I bought my Victory and I've been spending a lot of time on those forums. I still come here on a regular basis but I'm finding that there just aren't many threads that grab my attention anymore. In addition, aside from a bit of humour now and then, I've little to contribute.

My subscription is coming due soon and I've been struggling with the idea of renew or not renew.

Well, I've decided!

You'd better stay here, even if you made a traiterous Deal on a so called "Motorcycle" ....

TWICE !!!!

:p:p:p

Who else would i give a nice little smack right between the Eyes every now and then ?

Geez.. I was thinking that if the Victorys, Harleys and Goldwings left, all we would have left to harass is the 2nd Gens...:shock3:

:sun:

"Brown Sugar" is just down to be gone over. She has a few issues that are needing looked at but still my favorite ride. 2nd Gens still come in 2nd....:whistling:

You'd better stay here, even if you made a traiterous Deal on a so called "Motorcycle" ....

TWICE !!!!

:p:p:p

Who else would i give a nice little smack right between the Eyes every now and then ?

Lutz ... YOU are the MAIN REASON I stayed .... :whistling:

Lutz ... YOU are the MAIN REASON I stayed .... :whistling:

Rick, thank you for the Flowers, but really, i feel for you

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Since it's looking like we're going down a nice and romantic Alley at the Moment, how about you take a intense look at the Light at the End of that Alley and recognize not only the V-Shape of the light but also that there are four emiting Points, not only two ...

:stickpoke::stickpoke::stickpoke::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Ok, honestly, i'm glad you decided not to fade away. Too much Members have gone dark for one or another Reason. I somewhat understand some of their Reasons as far as know about these, but nevertheless i'm sad for the each and every Loss we had, especially of those who had to left us too early because of medical Reasons or Crashes.

I might not have been on the same side of the Fence with them all the time, but anyway, i just miss them all ...