IGNORED

Car Tire ??

Guest oldman

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a greater contact patch with a car tire then a motorcycle tire, even in the turns. The tire flexes as the bike turns.

Goldwingers and Valk riders have been using them for years with no problems.

Excuse me Forest,

please can you explain me the bigger contact Patch on a Car Tire in a Turn according to the Pic you posted as a follow up ??

I will no longer offer my OP on this forum. It appears one or two big mouths who have something and a lot to say about every subject will drown out real experiance. Because I acually am using a car tire, I am now, not a long or far rider, don't know about bike handling and just plain dumb!

I don't see the problem with this thread. It has been a decent discussion. Some are adamantly against and some have run car tires are are very comfortable with it. Some are on the fence and want to hear the pros and cons. That's why this is called a "DISCUSSION" forum. We discuss things. :)

People should feel free to share their thoughts and opinions on such important issues. Then each person has the right to make up their own mind. If somebodies opinion differs from yours...so be it. Take it or leave it.

The only other thing I could do is to start deleting all threads where there isn't 100% agreement. That would sure save on server space. :whistling:

There have been several threads lately where people have sure seemed to get upset over things that should NOT upset anybody. I think that PMS is really starting to set in now. Everybody just take a DEEP BREATH...we will all be riding again soon. This tire issue seems to be almost a moot point anyway. NOBODY has come up with one that will for sure fit the RSV.

I don't see the problem with this thread. It has been a decent discussion. Some are adamantly against and some have run car tires are are very comfortable with it. Some are on the fence and want to hear the pros and cons. That's why this is called a "DISCUSSION" forum. We discuss things. :)

People should feel free to share their thoughts and opinions on such important issues. Then each person has the right to make up their own mind. If somebodies opinion differs from yours...so be it. Take it or leave it.

The only other thing I could do is to start deleting all threads where there isn't 100% agreement. That would sure save on server space. :whistling:

There have been several threads lately where people have sure seemed to get upset over things that should NOT upset anybody. I think that PMS is really starting to set in now. Everybody just take a DEEP BREATH...we will all be riding again soon. This tire issue seems to be almost a moot point anyway. NOBODY has come up with one that will for sure fit the RSV.

well said don, i was almost ready to weaken and think i was wrong arguing and then realized although i have no experience with car tires, i have many years of research and very learned engineers on my side of the fence, namely the people who design and manufacture tires. surely all these manufacturers know more than we do about tires. just never was the backyard mechanic type. always relied on research, common sense, safety, and the intellegience i was given to use sensibly. it's every man to his own opinion, but if some one is wrong like scott told me i was about using car tires on my trailer, i would like to know about it. i learned something i did'nt know on this thread that may save my horses in a horse trailer or what ever i haul on my flat bed,and i thank scott for that. bill :clap2::2133:

Guest oldman

A discussion is a good thing. Arguing is not a good thing. Trying to shove your opinion down everyone's throat is not a good thing! 2wheels don't let the big dogs run over you. I still want to hear your thoughts... As far as the insurance part, I only carry liability ins. on all my bikes, so it doesn't make any difference.

I think we have all given our opinion so unless someone can give me the correct size that will fit, Coker says Firestone 155R15, lets just leave it open for some new blood. Thanks Oldman

so unless someone can give me the correct size that will fit, Coker says Firestone 155R15, lets just leave it open for some new blood. Thanks Oldman

That's the problem no one has tried it that's been documented on the Venture. You tell me and show me that the tire will fit and I'll run one. I hate paying extra for "specially designed" motorcycle tires.

Guest oldman

There is a very good tire calculator on Discount Tire Direct's web site. Info. center - Tire Dimensions Made Simple. This should help find the correct size.

Guest oldman

If anyone is interested in reading more on this subject Royal Star Riders-VFours Rock has a lot under Royal tech discussion-anyone running a auto tire. Thanks oldman

• 3 weeks later...
Guest oldman

O.K. girls I got the tire on my bike. It is a Goodrich Radial T/A 155-80-15. I put the letters to the left side so when it's on the side stand they aren't noticeable and when I am riding I doubt anyone will see the letters because of the bags. I have plenty of room to have used the next size wider. I am trying to put pictures on here but it's taking longer to do that than to put the tire on the rim. It did take a little time to get the bead to seat properly. I took everything apart and greased it while it was easy to get to. It took 3 tries to hit the u joint with the drive shaft but then it slid right in thanks to all the pictures and hints on these forums.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk119/cwb47/MVC-015S.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk119/cwb47/MVC-016S.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk119/cwb47/MVC-019S.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk119/cwb47/MVC-017S.jpg

:cool10:

Wow, that's great. I doubted that one would actually fit our bikes because the frame is so narrow there. You'll have to let us know how it rides and handles now. What would the next size wider be? Some of your pictures aren't showing up. Does that tire have raised white letters on it?

Good thing you greased everything while it was apart, because it will be a while before you have to take it apart again. The rear tire might outlast the bike.

For those of us who like white walls, I have wondered if porta walls could be used. They've been around for decades. I see them on ebay. I've never seen one right in front of me though. I wonder what they'd look actually look like.

What do you have on the front? Radial? Bias?

Just can't see how you would have near as much of a contact patch on tight turns, with that car tire, as opposed to a MC tire. Given that, as some say, the car tire would still flex, there are 2 factors. 1. That car tire was made to take more weight than what you'll have on the RSV. So, while it will flex it will not flex as much as designed for and will probably give a razors edge on the road. 2. you have substantially more "tread" to a auto tire where as a MC tire has more flat surface. As an example, try getting any NASCAR driver to drive with tires that have tread. They would just laugh...not enough contact area with a tire with tread, hence the slicks, more contact area.

Good luck.

Some of your pictures aren't showing up.

Same problem here...only got one of the pictures...the rest were "moved or deleted".....Maybe just attach them to the post would be better/easier.

BTW...have you had a chance to give it a good ride yet?

Outstanding!!! let us know what you think about the handling, cause we all know you're going to take it to a track day! Put them sportbikes in their place! Seriously though,

after you adjust to it and it to you, let us know what pressures you keep in the tire. WAY TO GO!

Guest oldman

1. If some people would only read! The very first thing in this thread says I used to run one on a Valkyrie and really liked it!! There is no use in going over and over this. Read some of the other forums on "the dark side". Thank you......

2. I will see if I can put up some more pictures.

3. I am starting at 35# in the tire.

4. Front tire is bias. AND don't tell me I can't do that either!!! I did it before.....so...

5. Port a walls used to look like crap when I was 16, about 100 years ago. Don't know what they look like now.

6. Sorry guys, I just don't like being told it won't work, when it's been done by people a lot smarter than me.

1. If some people would only read!

4. Front tire is bias. AND don't tell me I can't do that either!!! I did it before.....so...

Some other people need to learn to read. I didn't say you couldn't do it, I asked a simple question as to weather you were going to run a bias or change to a radial up front as well. I've been told not to mix. You Assumed that I was going to criticize you for mixing.

None of my comment criticized your decision to mount anything you want on your motorcycle. Heck, if you want to mount a square tire on the thing more power to you. I was just putting some thoughts out loud down as to how I don't think some of the comments on her can hold water when I (just me thinking in my head, my minds eye) try to logic it out. 2 comments on tires in general and how, design wise the tires probably wouldn't perform the way, on a MC, they were designed to an a car. And how tread actually reduces the contact patch of a tire.

Geeze don't think everyone is out to get you!!

I have the same tire sitting in my garage right now I just haven't had a chance to put it on yet. I'm glad to see it fits Ok. I was going to go with the 165 - 80 - 15" but the circumfrance was over an inch more so I went with this size.

I have a sidecar on my 2005 so I don't have to worry about leaning in turns. The tire stays flat to the road surface. Now I hope I can get more then 5,000 miles out of the rear tire.

hi oldman

thanks for the info on runing a car tire on the rear of the rsv. you have stated your runing a bias tire on the front. please let me know which brand and size.

i am now runing metzeler me 880 on the front a 130/90 hb-16 and on the rear a me 880 150/90 hb-15 i have got great service on these tires. i like the smaller tire on the front 'cause i have short legs and this is a heavy bike.

i am going to the '08 international venture rally this summer, and will be pulling a trailer. i would like to try your tire setup.

thanks again

don:stirthepot:

Guest oldman
O.K. girls I got the tire on my bike. It is a Goodrich Radial T/A 155-80-15. I put the letters to the left side so when it's on the side stand they aren't noticeable and when I am riding I doubt anyone will see the letters because of the bags. I have plenty of room to have used the next size wider. I am trying to put pictures on here but it's taking longer to do that than to put the tire on the rim. It did take a little time to get the bead to seat properly. I took everything apart and greased it while it was easy to get to. It took 3 tries to hit the u joint with the drive shaft but then it slid right in thanks to all the pictures and hints on these forums.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk119/cwb47/MVC-015S.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk119/cwb47/MVC-016S.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk119/cwb47/MVC-019S.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk119/cwb47/MVC-017S.jpg

:cool10:

Hope I got the pictures right this time!! Also check out the carpet pad on the floor, sure saves on the knees. And flb_78 got his tire on too. I believe he has his pictures posted under "Car tire on a RSV" Thanks to everyone for your help and opinions.:bighug:

O.K. girls....It did take a little time to get the bead to seat properly....

Hey oldman, could you elaborate for me on the reason was it was harder to get the bead to seat? With some of the discussion here someone said the Car Tire bead was different than a Motorcycle Tire. Just wanted to hear what your ideas were here. I'm still on the fence on this one. I'm glad to listen though. I'm not as concerned about saving money as I think would be great to tame that rear brake. Even with Rick Butler's (AKA the Wise one) brake mode kit I can still lock up my rear tire. Probaby something to do with a foot that is used to supporting 300 pounds coming down on that brake pedal with a little extra addrenaline. Anyway, please be safe and keep us posted.

Hey oldman, could you elaborate for me on the reason was it was harder to get the bead to seat? With some of the discussion here someone said the Car Tire bead was different than a Motorcycle Tire.

The beads are not different. I should have taken a pic while I had mine apart.

Most likely, it was harder to seat up because the tire is stored on its side. This tire is also thinner then the stock size. Mine beaded up pretty quick, but I let it lay out in the sun to heat up. It helps to have a hot tire when it's mounted.