IGNORED

What the $%&* is it with Prius drivers ????

KIC

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so glad its not just me! Prius drivers as a group are the worst..... they drive as if common sense and courtesy don't apply. They tend to maintain a speed and lane position regardless of road, or, traffic conditions. In parking lots (like the mall) the take up an entire lane waiting for a space and damn the 20 people trying to get by.

Lane changes without signals, and they don't adjust sped for the change 45mphi in left right or center lanes

My original post really didn't attack the car, but the fact that it seems that 7 out 10 near misses are from Prius drivers. Just figured there must be a buyers pre-requisite that you had to hate motorcycles or something.. :shock3:

I am a Prius owner and driver and I may be able to shed a little light on the subject. Most people who buy a Prius do so to save money on gas so they drive like they want to save gas. As for them cutting people off here in Ga. Prius drivers share that title with just about every other make and model made. The Prius has a big blind spot where the two post come down and support the front windshield. In fact Toyota tried to eliminate that buy putting two tiny little windows at the bottom but it does very little good as the blind spots are still there.

I usually drive 5 to 10 mph over the speed limit. It is not that I don't want to drive faster but driving faster burns more fuel and I can drive more relaxed since I don't need to constantly be searching for police with radar or lasers. I just set the cruise and go. I am not a left lane driver and I detest those drivers.

Now for the statement about buying a small car for $14K and saving $8 to $10K. Bull. If you compare apples to apples you are incorrect. You can not buy a small car for $14k with the same equipment that comes standard on a Prius. Yes you can buy a stripped down car for $14k but then you are not comparing apples to apples. My son bought a Prius C for a little under $21 which is what most sell for. I have driven it 3 times. It averaged 66, 67, and 63mpg.

Now I know this was not an attack on Prius drivers but just an observation on a lot of Prius drivers and I am sure it is accurate. The Prius is the best car we have ever owned and our first Japanese care. It is cheaper to operate than my Venture and more comfortable although it is a cage.

:301:

I have a 2000 honda insight hybrid I bought new in 2000 that cost about 20k back then. Glad to know relatively prices have effectively dropped on hybrids.

I agree the opponents want to try and compare cost based purely on hybrid costs against some stripped down base other model.

I have 170,000 miles on the insight been mostly satisfied with it. I have definitely never kept any other 4 wheel vehicle this long. When it was new I was routinely getting mpg well above epa rating without driving like a snail.

On lighter note I was going to suggest that maybe some Yamaha engineers any to work for Toyota's speedometer department and that all the perceived slow driving Prius were actually fills that thought they were driving actually above the speed limit because their dash was reporting 58 but true speed much less ;)

Bob Evinger

Marshall, Il 2002 midnight

I notice the Prius speedo if off like the Venture speedo. Must be a Japanese thing. You would think as good as they are in school they could build and accurate speedometer. Unless they are doing it on purpose to squeeze a little more mpg from unsuspecting customers.:yikes:

Never really noticed the Prius syndrome myself, around here its kids on mopeds with no real drivers licenses. 14 years old and Michigan law force em into the roadway (ticket time if you get caught on the shoulder) so all of a sudden a 55 zone becomes 25 mph traffic.. Talk about dangerous!!

Speaking about being invisible, I drove semi's for a while (still got my "A" License) and can tell you guys, even a 40 ton rig is invisible out there!! Scares the living heck right out of ya when cagers/bikers/pedestrians/cops/ambulances/firetrucks/mopeds/bicycles/squirrels/rabbits/deer and even shopping carts come out of nowhere and cut ya off... :backinmyday:

I've had my Prius for about 8 years now, but I sure don't drive like an idiot. I maintain a good posted speed limit and obey all traffic laws. Perhaps this has something to do that there are more and more idiot drivers out there that are just too daring and reckless to begin with. Prius owners are being singled out here. At least I belong to the 40+ mpg club. 😎

BTW, do you happen to know the most dangerous city in the nation in terms of traffic accidents?

Keeping in mind that I work for Toyota....

The Prius is a very nice car. Can't go wrong with Toyota or Honda vehicles. Even the Korean cars are really good now.

As for pet peeves... left lane hogs should get tickets if they don't move over. But, how about the ones that on a 3 lane highway drive in the middle lane and go slower than the trucks in the slow lane? Or the ones where you go to pass them and that is when they wake up and speed up so you can't pass them.

I like the hybrid or "Smart" cars....especially when I park my 8 cylinder Mustang beside them. Just the thought of a gass guzzler parked beside a car that "sips" fuel. Parking the RSV beside a Smart car with the same vehicle length... now that is funny.

And a comment on cost of a hybrid vs a gasoline car.... yes, hybrids save money on gas, but factor in the cost of replacing the batteries in 7-10 years... it actually evens out in cost of ownership. As for the environment... disposing of batteries isn't very friendly. If you are looking to buy a hybrid that is in the 7-10 year old range.... consider the cost of replacing the batteries before you buy.

Oh... and the ones that speed up as I go to pass them or tailgaters who could move to the fast lane..... nothing like dropping a gear and putting the pedal down with an 8 cylinder and leaving them in the dust.

One of the Korean car companies (sorry I forget which) starting with their 2014 Hybrid warranties their Hybrid battery forever to the original owner. Now if Toyota and Honda would just follow suit.

As for the oil I use Rotella. No more Supertech filters though, dang it. All I can find at Wal-mart is Fram. I use 87 octane gasoline in everything, Venture, Prius, Truck, Pontiac, Maxim 750, chainsaw, etc, etc... Oh and I run E3's on the Ventures.

Don has me thinking oil again. That 2nd Gen has Mobile 4T Racing?? High priced oil but you don't change synthetic as often?? I change Dino every 3k. As I say that "Brown Sugar" slipped up on me and has about 3700. It happens but not often. How often do you change the Synthetic?? And Idiot drivers come in all sizes and shapes!! Had one back out in front of me this week and then wanted to stick his head out the window and cuss me. I almost got my hands on him.

Just a couple of questions, what would be the offense to write a ticket for?

You see one of my pet peeves is people who seem to think they can take all day to pass you and then you end up having to hit the brakes for the car ahead. If I am tending to pass most of the cars I tend to stay left. If you then want to pass me, do so with conviction, the onus is on you. If you're passing me you are speeding excessively, who gets the ticket - you.

I also have only heard of less than a handful of battery replacements of NiMH batteries. As I understand things the lithium batteries will require replacement after a time even if they are never used. Consider the chemistry of the batteries in a hybrid you are researching.

As for pet peeves... left lane hogs should get tickets if they don't move over.

And a comment on cost of a hybrid vs a gasoline car.... yes, hybrids save money on gas, but factor in the cost of replacing the batteries in 7-10 years... it actually evens out in cost of ownership. As for the environment... disposing of batteries isn't very friendly. If you are looking to buy a hybrid that is in the 7-10 year old range.... consider the cost of replacing the batteries before you buy.

Edited by syscrusher
of not for

Yammer.....I used to run Mobile 4T Racing oil in my Venture. It's good for 5K between oil changes.:cool10:

Boomer....who sez switching to Rotella cut down on the whine and chirp of his Venture.:cool10:

That's what I was thinking. It would cut the price a lot with the extra miles.

Just a couple of questions, what would be the offense to write a ticket for?

In Illinois, there is a law on the books:"Left Lane Law - While traveling on an interstate highway, a vehicle may not be driven in the left lane, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle. This prohibition does not apply to authorized emergency vehicles while engaged in official duties." http://www3.illinois.gov/PressReleases/ShowPressRelease.cfm?SubjectID=3&RecNum=2581

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2004-01-04/travel/0401020404_1_new-illinois-law-construction-zones-lane

In Illinois, there is a law on the books:"Left Lane Law - While traveling on an interstate highway, a vehicle may not be driven in the left lane, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle. This prohibition does not apply to authorized emergency vehicles while engaged in official duties." http://www3.illinois.gov/PressReleases/ShowPressRelease.cfm?SubjectID=3&RecNum=2581

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2004-01-04/travel/0401020404_1_new-illinois-law-construction-zones-lane

There are soooo many laws on the books that the police seem to ignore. My friends who are police officers all have there pet peeves that they enforce and they all ignore the rest. So having a law is not the same as enforcing the law.

As far as the oil change goes both my owners manuals suggest changing the oil every 8,000 miles so it doesn't matter to me if I run conventional, blend or synthetic I change it every 5,000 miles. And Rotella nor any other oil I have found reduces the whine that I can tell.

Back to hybrids. Virginia has been trying to pass a tax on electric and hybrids of $64 a year. This is because they are buying less gas and therefore paying less taxes to use the same roads. I think the Governor just shot it down, but what do you think?:confused24:

RandyA

IMHO anytime the politicians see that the citizens are saving money they will figure out a way to get that money.

Boomer....who sez the only good politician is one who is deceased.

:cool10:

I have noticed over the last 6 months that a majority of the stupid drivers who either change lanes without looking or pull out in front of me. It has caught my attention that about 50% of the time it is a Prius.

One day alone I had two almost cause an accident..yesterday I was in the right lane on a major street when a Prius, who was 2nd in line at a stop sign to my right, pulled out behind the truck in front of them without stopping at the stop sign when it was their turn. :eek:

Of course that little piece of crap car didn't accelerate faster than a tricycle.

I am getting real tired of Prius owners !!!! :thumbdown: :buttkick:

Must have something to do with Arizona Prius drivers; may be all the heat over there decaying their brain housing groups. I own a 2013 Prius V, a $35,000 vehicle. It is in no way a piece of crap. Maybe all the Arizona Prius's are pieces of crap or maybe it is the drivers. Who knows. I drive the hell out of it; had it up to a 100 mph. I also drive in the fast lane and not too many vehicles pass me. Must be my driving style.

An interesting note.. When I was in Germany back in the early 80's the rule of thumb on the autobaun was, if your in the left lane and get rear ended its automatically your fault, get chur butt out the way!!! In Michigan its always been the other way around, you hit someone in the back end you get the ticket, gotta watch where your going...

Let's talk about the different types of oil to use in our scoots now.....:whistling:

Boomer....who sez ya can't fix stupid when it comes to how people drive.... no matter what the hell they are driving.

I have used Rotella 15/40 for years.. Do you guys remember an oil back in the late 70's that was purple in color,, I think it was called "Mystic" or something like that.. I use to buy that stuff in 5 gallon buckets from Quality Farm and FLeet.. Was always amazed at the body (viscosity..) of that stuff even after 4k miles in my 1970 351 Mach 1 Mouse... Stuff was amazing.. Wonder if its still around anywhere..

I do remember a purple oil but don't remember who made it or for what vehicles it was for. Out west in the mountains they have plenty of turn outs. These turn outs are for slow people. The law states that if you have more than 3 vehicles behind you you must pull over at your earliest convenience and let them pass. While out there I saw this a lot. Now I don't know if the drivers out there are just very polite or if the police actually enforce this law.