IGNORED

stock seat?

Guest rooster522

Guest rooster522

i still have the stock seat on my2006 rstd. after about 150 miles but rearend(butt) starts to not feel so good. help me find a pad or something i can add to my seat to make it better, thank a lot guys.

rooster522

You'll get a lot of different opinions on this one. Pads are much like seats, what works for one person doesn't always work for another. Some here really like the AirHawk cushion. It really didn't work for me at all. I had a seat with one installed in it and also tried one on top of a stock seat and neither helped much. I also tried a gel pad from AirRider. It was no better. I've just never found a pad that worked for me. Others have had good luck though. I also tried several seats. Stock, stock modified, stock with various pads, pillow top seat off later RSV, TravelCade Road Sofa.....none of them satisfied me. I finally ended up with a Corbin seat and it's the best I've found for me. I've done a number of 600+ mile days and some closer to 800 miles with it.

That doesn't mean it would work for you though. Some folks just HATE the Corbin seats. Same is true of pads and other seats.

There...that should confuse you enough for now.:whistling:

Have you ever tried a sheepskin? They help a lot.

The shape of the stock seat is just wrong for some people. I'm one of them. I wound up with a Corbin Dual Tour seat, and while some will say that a Corbin will take a few thousand miles to break in, I loved it right out of the box.

I use a wooden bead seat pad on a stock seat. The beads are about 3/4" dia. and strung together with heavy fishing line. This set-up allows some ventilation and reduces the pressure points. You can kind of roll around on it to get some massage action, gets the blood flowing if you know what I mean. Did 4000 miles in 10 day with no discomfort. You can find them on the internet for around $15 - $20. Nice low cost remedy before you buy a seat.

Good Luck,

Fitz

Not sure how the seat is on the RSTD, but on my VStar650, I could only go 75 to 100 miles before having to stop on the stock seat. Wife was the same way. Put a Mustang seat on. It made all the difference int he world.

Just my 2bits.

Pads didn't really help me. I think the seat pan is too pliable, it is only plastic. I switched to a mustang seat and really like it. It has a metal pan, which is what makes me think the stock seat pan is the reason everyobody hates it. (most everybody, there is someone on this site that actually likes his RSTD seat)

I have to use my mustang seat with a pad though because it moves me to far forward and I need the extra height of that pad so my knees feel like they are in a normal position. Other than that it is an all day seat. I bought the pillion pad for mamma. She can't really tell much difference.

If you are tall you might want to consider a different brand than a mustang, or take your stock seat and see if someone can custom fit it to your backside.

The other negative with the mustang seat is that if you decide later you want the backrest, you have to buy a whole new seat. You can't add the backrest later.

Best of luck.

I have stock pillowtop seat on my RSV And wooden beads from http://www.beadrider.com/ best stuff for long rides. Most truckers and cab drivers are using wooden beads and all i can say it works. I Know doesent sounds right seating on wooden beads make you comfortable... it works for me. Have many500-1000 mil's a day rides and never have tail bone discomfort. Check out Rick Butler seat mod that's is interesting koncept and make sence.:080402gudl_prv:

Guest Popeye

This has been a HUGE problem on our 86VR for Sharon. We tried some of above, but the Sheepskin [from Alaska Leather [many colors & fitted to bike, $50.], 1 in nap, was a miracle & doubled her mileage. It gave heat in Fall & cooler in Summer + less friction & more padding.

Probably the best solution....for distance comfort.

Then, she developed tailbone pain from an injury & we got a sheepskin cover over removeable 3/4 in. gelpad, with cut-out for tail bone.........worked perfect.

Some don't like gelpads, though. Sheepskins are well accepted.

Pads didn't really help me. I think the seat pan is too pliable, it is only plastic. I switched to a mustang seat and really like it. It has a metal pan, which is what makes me think the stock seat pan is the reason everyobody hates it. (most everybody, there is someone on this site that actually likes his RSTD seat)

I have to use my mustang seat with a pad though because it moves me to far forward and I need the extra height of that pad so my knees feel like they are in a normal position. Other than that it is an all day seat. I bought the pillion pad for mamma. She can't really tell much difference.

If you are tall you might want to consider a different brand than a mustang, or take your stock seat and see if someone can custom fit it to your backside.

The other negative with the mustang seat is that if you decide later you want the backrest, you have to buy a whole new seat. You can't add the backrest later.

Best of luck.

Ditto the mustang seat. I had one on my 97 royalstar and loved it and my wife loved it. I would have one on my 03 mdnt v but they aren't available. I have a corbin and like Don couldn't be more pleased. My wife still says the Mustang is the most comfortable for the back seat. I love them both. I didn't have to break in the Mustang. Good luck.:7_2_104[1]:

While in Colorado last summer we stopped at wallyworld and I picked up a set of beads for a car seat. They worked great....nice and cool for that hot riding!

Sheep skin worked great on my first gen but not so good for the second gen...got bad tail bone ache. Beads got rid of that for me. The beads were pretty pricy....8 bucks I believe...but its a full set and not that pretty to look at.

Guest Vermincelli

I've gone back and forth on my 1st Gen.

The stock one fits me good but it's low so my knees are bent more like a sporttouring position. I swapped it out for a Road Sofa which is harder and sits taller so my knees are better but the rearend isn't as happy.

I'm really tempted to find a seatpan and make a seat that's a little further back (no passengers so not an issue).