IGNORED

Looking for your opinion......

bj66

My wife recently had some back surgery to clean up a herniated disc in her lower back. She has suffered for a long time with this, and after the surgery she feels much better. Anyway, we have been talking about a hot tub to help her after she has recovered from this surgery.

I am looking for some first hand advice from any of you who have or had a hot tub. Pros/cons of brands etc. I am doing some research online, but it is nice to hear from people that you know and trust.

I need a tub that is larger, still have kids at home and in college. Would like to seat 5, and not positive I need a lounger in it. Also need jets that are better for low back pain. Local dealer sells Hot Springs spas. But I dont have anybody else local to compare to. Next closest dealer is 80 miles away.

The lack of local dealers has me concerned, although Im glad he sells Hot Springs. I will travel if I have to, but it would be nice to walk in and compare brands.

Thanks again.

Bernie

Guest tx2sturgis

Indoors or outdoors?

This is important.

I need to know if I can sneak in to the hottub at 3 am on a cold South Dakota night and not wake anyone up.

:D

I purchased a Cal Spa brand from an ad on craiglist three years ago. It was two years old at the time. Sold it to me for $500.00 because he was moving and didn't want to move it. I have the original invoice from when he purchased it for $4995.00 You may want to check craigslist for a bargain.

Wife and I were looking at a Hot Springs/Limelight "Pulse". No lounger, and it does have lights. Not that I was interested in the lights, but it comes with them. I would like to look at a Sundance "Optima" too. Our yard isnt finished in back yet, so the tub would sit in the garage (garage is 34x46 with in floor heat). I have a good cd player etc. in garage. Dont want to put tub outside yet, unfinished yard means dirt in the air etc. and we have them danged mosquitoes in the summer. I'm thinking inside garage would be a nice choice for now, until yard is complete.

We have had our spa for a quite of few years. Not sure about dealers or brands in the U.S. so can't be much help there. Ours is a plain jane, 5 seater with a lounger and 30 or 40 jets all told. Only one main pump and one circulating pump. Had to replace one heater element and a seal on the circulating pump and that's it. Make sure you get a cover included and a cover lift. We use ours winter and summer, summer time we crank the heat down and leave it around 80 so its nice to cool off in, winter she runs at 104 all winter long. Make sure you can adjust the intensity of the water coming out of the jets, sometimes if its too high you will feel a bit sore instead of relaxed when you get out. Mostly we just let the heat soak in and watch the stars ( ours is outdoors on a separate area of the deck ) and enjoy a nice glass of wine or a couple of beers. Good luck with your search

About 15 years ago, I installed one inside, which is about 1 size larger then a standard tub. ( A one person size ) Jacuzzi brand, I think it is. Mainly due to my back problems.

Installed it myself, total cost at the time was about $1500. Did all installation and plumbing myself.

Anyway, as far as I am concerned, its the best money I ever Spent !!! It works, takes minimal amout of Hot Water, and gets the job done, !! And, NO, Leaves, Pine Cones, of Pine needles ever get into it !! Ha Ha

Cost a LOT less to operate then a big tub outside !! and a lot less problems!!!

Anyway, thats my story and I'm stickin to it !!

Don't mean to sidetrack or hijack the thread. As well as hot tubs, which I am not equipped to give advice, please make sure she is regularly on a stretching and strengthening program, as per a physical therapist. It is important to keep the structural area strong and pliable.

I have had a hot tub for 5years and a spa for 15 and we decided it would be our family fun and that it has been. Kids learned to hold their breath in the hot tub I would bring my scuba cyclinder and two regulators and they would be under for 20 minutes at a time. Hot tubs are deeper and more of a bigger vessel spas are where you lay down more and get under the water that way. Jets 20 ,30, 40 it dose'nt much mater if they are not pointed at you. We have a foot well a big plus for just a big jet on your feet or anywhere else. ours is a great lakes brand and has run well for 15 years , not flawlessly but well. Inside I would think about that, a friend rented one for a party put in the garage thinking it would be cold other wise the sheet rock fell off the ceiling with all the moisture (there is a lot of moisture )and you can't see the stars. We are in ours just about nightly and last night it was -22 ° and with a hat on perfect. With young kids under 100 lbs keep the water around 98 ° 99 ° any hotter you cook them like a hot dog , not enough mass .Ours runs about $75.00 a month to heat and run I keep the pump on all the time to prevent freezing and we don't run it in the summer. They are a bit of work to maintain but I think it's worth it they are fun.

Indoors or outdoors?

This is important.

I need to know if I can sneak in to the hottub at 3 am on a cold South Dakota night and not wake anyone up.

For you Brian a certain quote from a movie comes to mind. "I have a pool, and a pond. The pond would be good for you!"......Caddyshack

Our tub is a Coast spa. They are no longer in business. 2- 2 speed motors and pumps, I like this feature as you can set it low or high. Foot massagers are a nice feature, ours has a lounger and most people only lay there for a short time before wanting another seat, I'd say skip the lounger. More jets = better, you can always turn off the ones you don't want. Each seat position should have jets placed to work on a different area of your body. Lighting is nice to have. Most people I know that have a stereo say they don't last long.

Get one that is well insulated as it reduces operating costs. Ours is foam filled in the cabinet and I then added mylar faced foam insulation boards behind the equipment access panel too. Our Electric cost is between $30-40 a month during the winter. A good insulated cover with a cover lift makes it easier to get into. Go with a 220V unit they cost less to run. If you have young kids be sure the cover can be locked.

Don't use chlorine for your sanitizer, it's harder to keep in balance. We use bromine but have been considering a switch to salt. Ours is set at deck level next to the deck so all we have to do is step into it. If you drop it into a hole in a deck it makes it harder and more expensive when the time comes to do any service on it.

I've had ours for 7 years and have put 1 pump and 1 heater in it. We're on well water which also makes it harder to get balanced water chemistry right. I run my fill water thru a carbon and paper filter which helps. I do a water change every 3-4 months depending on usage.

Our tub is a Coast spa. They are no longer in business. 2- 2 speed motors and pumps, I like this feature as you can set it low or high. Foot massagers are a nice feature, ours has a lounger and most people only lay there for a short time before wanting another seat, I'd say skip the lounger. More jets = better, you can always turn off the ones you don't want. Each seat position should have jets placed to work on a different area of your body. Lighting is nice to have. Most people I know that have a stereo say they don't last long.

Get one that is well insulated as it reduces operating costs. Ours is foam filled in the cabinet and I then added mylar faced foam insulation boards behind the equipment access panel too. Our Electric cost is between $30-40 a month during the winter. A good insulated cover with a cover lift makes it easier to get into. Go with a 220V unit they cost less to run. If you have young kids be sure the cover can be locked.

Don't use chlorine for your sanitizer, it's harder to keep in balance. We use bromine but have been considering a switch to salt. Ours is set at deck level next to the deck so all we have to do is step into it. If you drop it into a hole in a deck it makes it harder and more expensive when the time comes to do any service on it.

I've had ours for 7 years and have put 1 pump and 1 heater in it. We're on well water which also makes it harder to get balanced water chemistry right. I run my fill water thru a carbon and paper filter which helps. I do a water change every 3-4 months depending on usage.

Thanks for the info, especially on the lounger. We are on the fence aobut having a lounger or not. There is quite a bit of difference in body size between my kids and wife and I. Obviously I am concerned that a lounger would be a fit for everyone. Im guessing we will skip lounger.

Indoors or outdoors?

This is important.

Depends on how loud you scream when your warm body hits the cold air when you get out or when you step on that snow/ice patch when you walk out to it.:witch_brew:

I've had 2 over the last 25 yrs. I presently have a Marquis. I've "taken a jaccuzzi" as I call it almost every night for the last 25 yrs....it's part of my going to bed ritual. My first was indoors...now outdoors for the last 15 yrs.

My input is this.... 5 seater is not enough room for 5 adults.... get bigger. Make sure you get a 220v unit.....110v units can't run the heater & jet circuit at the same time. 110v units start loosing heat as soon as you get in and start running the pumps. A220v unit will maintain temp for the full time your in it. I like my water very hot and run it at 105 24/7

Oscilating jets are great for the back....although I never use them. I'm an extremely poor sleeper so for me the quieter the better...I'm getting ready for sleep and my sleep meds...ssshhhhh.

Lastly if it ends up outside...you want the very best cover you can get....especially if your in a high snow area. If so get a good 6/3 tapered cover.

That's my 2 cents....enjoy

Bob

I have had a 3 different tubs for at least 35 years due to lower back problems, try to use the tub before you buy. Also try to get as deep tub as you can find. When you sit on the seats some tub seats are so high the most of your body is NOT in the water.

Also try to get EVERYBODY that will be using the tub at the same time ( friends/family) in the tub together so you can see how you all fit together.

About covers, covers last for me ( outside) about 4-6 years. GET a cover lift, it's a bar that when the cover is off the bar stop the cover from sitting on the ground.

Also get a Spa umbrella NOT from the Spa store, the want $300.... places like Home Depot etc sell items the sit on the outside of the tub and hang over the tub. Big Lots sell one for about $100.

I have four bad lower disc and floating ON the water is the best thing for me. Wal Mart sells a $20.00 float that has an outer air chamber with a mesh center. I can lay across my tub floating with all of my back just floating in the hot water without ANY pressure to my back. Also get for floating in the lake.

I also agree about stereos and lights not needed. If you want music just bring a radio. I list to audio books most of the time.

My local tub store will do a weekly water check for free with a computer read out of what chems. to add. Most chems, are added by weight so get a good digital scale.

OH.... to help with keeping your clean ( NOT DIRT CLEAN BUT CHEM CLEAN ) take a shower before going into the tub, your body has sweat and stuff. ALL so if you need to wear swim suits wash them WITHOUT detergent and let air dry.

I am done..... good luck.... questions ? Cb