IGNORED

Liability only Insurance

crazygaucho

Happy new year to all the group

I understand as long as we wear a helmet we are not required to have insurance on our bikes in Florida but, I was wondering what kind of experience or leads you have on this topic.

I was wondering how much it will be to get a liability only insurance in my bike, don't care for bike replacement, just in case if I travel on any other state I will be legal and don't get sued in case of an accident:fingers-crossed-emo

Back in the day on California I had something like that in my bike and if I not mistaking was under $100 per year

I would not think that any state requires collision or comp. BUT most do require liability to pay for any damage that is your fault. In Wisconsin you can either have liability insurance or post a $60K bond as proof of financial responsibility.

If you cause an accident anywhere, you can pretty much count on getting sued for damages unless you have deep enough pockets to cover the bills.

thank you guys but, with all the respect and it is my fault with this broken English that I speak/write , my question wasn't if one should get insurance or not.

the question was :

where to get one

what company and or premiums for a liability only ?

that that will cover me on other states in case I travel a little

I carry liability and uninsured/under-insured motorist on my 83. After Yammer Dan was nailed years ago and found out his under-insured ran out way before he got out of the hospital, after he was hit by some guy with no insurance, I upped my coverage. I personally could not comfortably ride my bike around the block without insurance, especially uninsured motorist. We have way too many around here running around without any insurance or driver's license.

Even with upped coverage limits, my cost is about $140 a year thru Farmers insurance, who I also have my house and two cars. I figure if I can not afford about $12 a month, I don't need to be out on the bike.:backinmyday:

RandyA

Just read your post you wrote as I was writing mine. Just check around with your local insurance agents, like Allstate or Progressive and get quotes. There are many out there, just call around.

Edited by Venturous Randy
more info

In Florida if you wear a helmet you are not required to have liability insurance. This is what my brothers tells me who lives there and rides and who was hit by a bike that wasn't required to pay because the guy riding was wearing a helmet and had no insurance.

I carry liability and uninsured/under-insured motorist on my 83. After Yammer Dan was nailed years ago and found out his under-insured ran out way before he got out of the hospital, after he was hit by some guy with no insurance, I upped my coverage. I personally could not comfortably ride my bike around the block without insurance, especially uninsured motorist. We have way too many around here running around without any insurance or driver's license.

Even with upped coverage limits, my cost is about $140 a year thru Farmers insurance, who I also have my house and two cars. I figure if I can not afford about $12 a month, I don't need to be out on the bike.:backinmyday:

RandyA

Just read your post you wrote as I was writing mine. Just check around with your local insurance agents, like Allstate or Progressive and get quotes. There are many out there, just call around.

thank you very much !!!

that is what I'm talking about !!!!

Farmers = $140 year

100% agree it is a no brainer

I have full coverage, because mine is still financed and it is required. The liability part I have is 100/300 Way above minimum requirements. The uninsured/under insured part is close to 2/3 of the cost of my premium I think. And it goes up every year because more and more dont have insurance. I dont know about the liability not required if you wear a helmet thing. Somehow that just dont make no difference. Not wearing a helmet makes you more careful? I dunno? :confused24:

I have full coverage, because mine is still financed and it is required. The liability part I have is 100/300 Way above minimum requirements. The uninsured/under insured part is close to 2/3 of the cost of my premium I think. And it goes up every year because more and more dont have insurance. I dont know about the liability not required if you wear a helmet thing. Somehow that just dont make no difference. Not wearing a helmet makes you more careful? I dunno? :confused24:

It is a way they believe will help to get people to wear them.

I didn't believe the Florida law didn't require you to have liability insurance if you wear a helmet because that makes no sense. But I called an insurance agent in Florida and he said that is correct. The reason it doesn't make any sense is the liability pays the other person if you are at fault and they are injured. It doesn't pay you anything, so if you hit someone and they are injured what difference does it make if you are wearing a helmet. There must be some stupid legislators in Florida.

thank you guys but, with all the respect and it is my fault with this broken English that I speak/write , my question wasn't if one should get insurance or not.

the question was :

where to get one

what company and or premiums for a liability only ?

that that will cover me on other states in case I travel a little

I use Statefarm at a cost of about $150 a year. I also have towing so its a bit higher than just basic.

According to the agent the policy is good anywhere I ride the bike in the US.

Here in Texas. I was using Progressive until this year. Had my agent check and Dairyland was alittle cheaper. They handled both companies so I got a heads up compairision, and I only carry liability on my older bikes.

Also, I had them check and recieved a discount for being part on the Ventureriders.com, " An established riders group".

I believe alot of motorcycle shops sell Dairyland insurance.

thanks a lot for all the replies I'm really overwhelmed

just to clarify a couple things:

1) the Helmet or not helmet law in Florida establish that if you choose not to wear a helmet you must have a minimum of 10k medical insurance (not sure about the exact amount)

basically what they are saying is :

you have the right to choose (which I 'm 100% agree) we just not going to pay for it

2) Never said that I don't have insurance but assuming it is human nature.

the bike it's paid for, and wanted to save some money and a liability only will be fine.

I know now by your responses that I can get it for about $100-$150

have to renew my policy before the end of the month, and having the bike with the same people we have the car and truck it is costing an extra $350-$400 and they said it was the best they could do so I guess at least the bike will be out of there