IGNORED

2014 Venture West Rally pulse

Lone Eagle

It is time to start thinking, and making / penciling in plans for the 2014 Venture West Gathering and Rally - June 19 - 21 - The Dalles, Oregon. Who all is thinking they will be able to attend this? Condor and I would like to get somewhat of a "pulse" on a headcount.

I have looked into lodging in the area; I checked out Hood River and The Dalles. As anywhere on the West Coast, room rates between Memorial Day and Labor Day go up - especially in the popular areas. Between the two cities, The Dalles does offer a little better pricing choice.

Motel 6 - http://www.motel6.com/reservations/motel_detail.aspx?num=4268 - would run approx.: 2 queen beds – 2 adults - $59.39 + tax per room 1 adult 50.39 + tax.

This is a (3) story building - so you wouldn't be able to park your bike in front of your room.

Cousins - is more expensive - but there is a gas station, restaurant, saloon, and if we wanted, meeting room for a closing buffet on the property which we would be able to use. We can also park the bikes in front of the room - there is room to gather around and tell tales, etc. This is a much nicer location, but truth be told, approx. 1 block away from Motel 6. 2 queens – 105.00 + 9% 1 queen – 96.90 + tax Deluxe rm – bigger rm – 119.00 + tax . I may be able to get a slightly better rate for this property - these rates quoted are about 25% the normal rate. Personally, I will be staying here - (as I have had many hit and misses with "other places mentioned above).

I also checked the Super 8 - 2 queen beds 94.49 + tax / 1 queen – 85.49 + TAX. Pricing in general - in Hood River - was slightly higher than the pricing shown above.

What is everyone's thoughts? :whistling: :think:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cousin's sounds like a plan. It may a tad 'pre-dicker' high but we're only talking 3 nights. They might also offer senior discounts?? Also being able to stumble out of your room and get gas, or coffee...or breakfast?? is a plus. For those on a budget M6 would work. They do offer several different types of discounts. Senior.. AAA?? Just bring a complete cover for prying eyes. I've never had a problem when leaving the bike well covered and out of sight, but I understand how some could feel uneasy...

Like Vic sez, a head count would help with the number of rooms we would need to ask for.... 6 to 60??

I'm in...

2600 mi.... no problem.

Leaving the truck and trailer at home this time .... Don't want a Cody, WY

repeat...

WooHoo...

Roadtrip, Roadtrip, Roadtrip...

:Venture:

Last time I went on a trip, ask if they gave Harley discounts. The clerk replied why yes we do...

About 5 min later she went outside for a smoke break and had this big smile on her face..

Hey... before you judge me... never once did I say that I rode a Harley... she just assumed it.. Ha!

I like this lawyer speak... could get used to it....maybe even become a politician......naaaaaah!

Edited by CaptainJoe

Normally i would be looking forward to this,it's in my neighborhood and I have always wanted to ride that area and riding with the the Venture Riders would be great. But I am in charge of another Rally at the same time for a local club. Sorry guys another time.

I'm in...

2600 mi.... no problem.

Leaving the truck and trailer at home this time .... Don't want a Cody, WY

repeat...

WooHoo...

Roadtrip, Roadtrip, Roadtrip...

:Venture:

Last time I went on a trip, ask if they gave Harley discounts. The clerk replied why yes we do...

About 5 min later she went outside for a smoke break and had this big smile on her face..

Hey... before you judge me... never once did I say that I rode a Harley... she just assumed it.. Ha!

I like this lawyer speak... could get used to it....maybe even become a politician......naaaaaah!

I hear ya Joe. I trailered mine to Cody #1 in '09. I don't want to mention my fuel bill at over $4 bucks a gallon... :) :mo money: Road to Cody #2 in '11. Big Savings!!! Looking forward to seeing you again.... :thumbsup2:

I hear ya Joe. I trailered mine to Cody #1 in '09. I don't want to mention my fuel bill at over $4 bucks a gallon... :) :mo money: Road to Cody #2 in '11. Big Savings!!! Looking forward to seeing you again.... :thumbsup2:

The gas was about $2000 for the Cody trip, but the blown engine in my truck was $6,500, plus was lucky I wasn't stranded as still had the bike.. so $8500 without Motel/meal/rally expenses...

Thinking about towing the camper out west.

Any campgrounds closer than Independence ,OR? Perfer mom and Pop... KOA's suck... IMHO

Edited by CaptainJoe

Had a chat with Mary today about attending and it looks like we are both in. Motel 6 is more our speed.

I've been thinking of taking an extra couple of days on either side of the rally to make a few stops on the way there and back. This is the route I have tentatively laid out. Anyone got any suggestions for interesting roads, places or things to see along the way?

Just saw event calendar.

So it's June 18-21 Wed. thru Sat? as in a get together Wed night? with rides starting thurs?

Just need to make sure as, I will need to need leave WV Saturday June 14th. That would be four, +500 mi. days with an easy day Wednesday. 2600 miles from home.

Looking forward to seeing Mt.Hood, and, while in the area, Mt. Saint Helens up close...

Woooooo Hoo!:Venture:

Road Trip, Road Trip, Road Trip, Road Trip, Road Trip...

AWESOME NEWS: The Dalles is ranked #7 among True West Magazine's 2014 Top Western Towns. Our town will be featured in the February 2014 issue, on newsstands on January 7, 2014.

Woot Woot! Be sure to check out The Dalles Chronicle article on the amazing distinction our town has received:

www.thedalleschronicle.com/news/2014/jan/02/dalles-listed-among-2014-top-western-towns/

:thumbsup: :dancefool:

To answer couple of questions:

How many bikes: At our last Venture West - we had approx. 50 bikes - 60+ people in attendance if I recall correctly (the event was couple of years ago - too long:crying:):

Captain Joe: you are correct on the dates: realizing many will be coming from various directions and miles to get to the event, some may come in earlier - but - figuring most might be pulling in Weds - then leaving on Sat / Sunday (like myself - I will be riding straight through on Sunday - about 670 miles for me). This is a casual event - flexibility and fun being the operative words.

Tent camping - there are couple of parks I believe within 10 miles of the "base sites" - I haven't had a chance to look into that yet. Should have some info within couple of weeks.

SilvrT -your boss needs to have a) a sense of humor, b) change plans, c) allow you to "work remotely" - :doh: :whistling:

Ride Routes: so far I have I have penciled out a ride up Mt. Hood to Timbercove Lodge - backdrop for the movie "The Shining". Over the next couple of months, we are going to be putting together shorter rides around The Dalles, routes to the various mountain ranges within riding distance of The Dalles.

Motels: Cousins will be the "base camp" - Motel 6 is right next door (is what I was told) - I will be getting in touch with both properties and setting aside some rooms. More to come on this as those plans now get finalized. :happy65:

Hey Lone Eagle, somewhere along the Columbia River is suppose to be the BEST hamburger joint in the world, some joint that grows their own beef and all that.. Anyway, I read about it years ago but never did find it out there.. Any idea of what I am talking about, location, near Dalles??

These guys LOVE to eat (me too), find that place, include it on a ride or two and you will probably increase attendance 20 fold.... :lightbulb:

Hi all,

Great response. I am a 9/10 of my 3rd Iron Butt away in Los Angeles. I wasn't planning on taking time off work for a ride this year - usually do Sturgis but wife has other plans for my vacation this year. But, there are so many of "us" coming that I feel I would really miss out if I didn't join in. Can't commit yet due to other issues but I am definitely leaning in the right direction.

VentureFar...

Hi all,

Great response. I am a 9/10 of my 3rd Iron Butt away in Los Angeles. I wasn't planning on taking time off work for a ride this year - usually do Sturgis but wife has other plans for my vacation this year. But, there are so many of "us" coming that I feel I would really miss out if I didn't join in. Can't commit yet due to other issues but I am definitely leaning in the right direction.

VentureFar...

Now THAT hurts Venturefar,,, between you and that Freebird :stirthepot: while the rest of us are :cold: makes me wanna :stickpoke: someone.. Oh well, guess I will just:bawling: in my coffee somemore..

Oh yea :worthless:,,,, especially if ya wanna REALLY add some :225::225::225::225:to this thread:backinmyday:

RIDE ON BROTHER!!!! GOOD LUCK ON IRONBUTTIN IT!!!:thumbsup:

Cowpuc if it makes you feel any better, it was a bit "chilly" after the sun went down :stirthepot:

I actually flipped up my baggershield for the first time in 10,000 miles ( since March).... oops did it again...

VentureFar...

Oh yea, that helped out a lot VF, hope your flip up got bug covered and slicker than the ice on my driveway ya troublemaker..... :detective: