IGNORED

the only stupid question

is the one not asked so here goes do i have to take the exhaust pipes off of both sides to get the wheel off to change the tire also i dont have my tire spoons any more they seem to have grown legs over the last year but i really need to get this tire changed as i have been riding on a bald tire for the last month i have a new one but took me 6 months to save up for it so i cant afford to have a shop do it and i really need to learn this stuff any suggestions and helpfull tips would be greatly appriciated and Squidly i would have came out to tx if i would have trusted the tire but i just didnt feel comfortable with it and i have only put 150 miles on it since i posted about tire size and you couldnt drive a needle in during that 150 miles too:confused24::confused24::whistling::rotf:

uh oh :sick: no tourqe wrench that was stollen along with a lot of my other tools durring my recovery since i could not get out side to check on that stuff well i just put a stop to it but i did talk to a new friend that use to ride hardlys :stirthepot: he use to have a shop that he can still use (he sold to a buddy) so i will be taking it there just wont have use of a lift but who needsit mine comes with its own built in lift :whistling: it just doesnt go as high ok next question does the rim seperate from the final drive or is that one piece i know newbee question but i will be around hardly mechanics :rotf::rotf::rotf::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot: and i would like to walk in looking like i know a little something oh while i in there i already have the grease for the splines when i find it i will be greasing everything that looks like it needs grease and maybe what doesnt need it :confused24::confused24::confused24::rotf:

Definately the right muffler must come completely off to pull the long axle bolt. The left muffler just needs loosening up just a bit to work it away from the nut enough to get the wrench/socket on the nut. Obviously the right saddlebag comes off, and so does the rear fender.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Paul,

Pull the right saddlebag, the right muffler, the rear brake caliper and it's mounting arm (once the axle shaft is out). Keep the pinch bolt tight on the swing arm and remove the cotter key from the left side and break the nut loose 27mm if memory serves me right.

Remove the nut from the shaft, break the pinch bolt loose 12mm and slide the rear axle shaft out. The bike will have to be on a lift in the air as you wont have the clearance to get the tire/rim out from under the bike otherwise. Pull the wheel strait towards you from the right side of the bike and you'll have to jimmy it around a bit to slide it out.

Make absolutely sure that the rim once you remove the tire from it is spotless clean. Also be sure the valve stem is tight to insure no leaks. To grease the fingers you will need to remove the external snap ring from the rim shaft and pull the splined hub strait up. You may have to pry with a small prybar. Clean those fingers off with sandpaper and apply some good wheel bearing grease. Make sure you remember to install the rubber oring back on before you install the spline again.

Before you set the tire/rim assembly back on the rearend, put some of the same wheel bearing grease on the splines. Dont gob it on, but dont be sparingly either. Reassemble the way you took it off. Remember to go into the tech library and read up on how it's done, the phone is on :)

Watch that spacer and washer when you pull axle and the way they fit in the wheel and with that bracket. Watch how that bracket goes.Not a hard job if you've turned a wrench a few times. Pull right muffler, watch spacer& washer, pulling rear end and greasing front of axle is a plus. Check brake pads as you will have caliper off. If wearing uneven swap them with each other. Will help get more life out of them.

venturous its the 84 the 99 is what gave me my careerchange last yr and 12 days in the hospital im waiting to change that i may still get the bike back and reuild it .... thanks everybody for the advice and tips it all sounds intimidating but what job doesnt the first time you tackle it and bob we understand for one its fryday the 13th and 2 your trike is screaming let me out and lets go south like all the other snow birds i know it can be very hard to try and tune that out :whistling::whistling::rotf::rotf::rotf: and brad thank you if i had the money for gas i think i would have just bit the bullet and rode west i dont have a problem riding in 30 degree weather but the rain i do have issues with i will def call if i run into a problem but with all of yall here and the reading i will do and have done i dont think i will have a problem and that is what i love about this family yall are the best thanks also word is toyota will be bringing in the next group after the first if i get that call first place im headed is west to cleavlnd tx before the treck north to tupelo even if i dont get the call before christmas i have it i my plans just getting there has been the hold up:confused24: life it must go on but its not stopping me just slowing me down a bit :stirthepot::stirthepot:

is the one not asked so here goes do i have to take the exhaust pipes off of both sides to get the wheel off to change the tire also i dont have my tire spoons any more they seem to have grown legs over the last year but i really need to get this tire changed as i have been riding on a bald tire for the last month i have a new one but took me 6 months to save up for it so i cant afford to have a shop do it and i really need to learn this stuff any suggestions and helpfull tips would be greatly appriciated and Squidly i would have came out to tx if i would have trusted the tire but i just didnt feel comfortable with it and i have only put 150 miles on it since i posted about tire size and you couldnt drive a needle in during that 150 miles too:confused24::confused24::whistling::rotf:

Wish it would make it another 155 miles. With the exception of the tire spoons I have tools and a lift. :cool10:

You don't really need a lift as the bike comes with a center stand. Putting a section of 2 x 4 under the center stand will get the bike high enough to slip the tire out without taking off the fender. Rock the bike from one side to the other to get the 2 x 4 under side stand.

If you ever did the rear on your 99 the rest of the removal almost the same.

yes i waanted to start at the top :cool10::cool10::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot::rotf::rotf::rotf: and the 2nd gen well lest just say its still sick and brokenlike my leg :sick: ok i got the tire changed 5 1/2 hrs later man that was a bear that tire just did not want to come off but after 12 yrs of being on the rim its a wounder i ever got it off i had to cut the thing off cussing under my breath every step of the way but glad i did get it off cause it was not going another 10 ft let alone 1 mile it wen flat and quick i have a pic of it but will have to post later any way it rides so much better now but i dont trust my own work not after 5 hrs on it i didnt do the drive shaft i did lose a nut and bolt holding the left muffler before i even got to where i needed to change the tire let see i broke the collecter dropped the bike on my right hand found that i have no pad woth speaking of on the back brakes got a broken bolt on the clamp to hold right muffler to collector lets see all in all i think i had a good day :bighug: i did minimal damage oh i had no tourqe wrench so i tighten thing to what i felt would be right so i have decided its 5 hrs to cleavland TX on a regular day but with this it will take me about 10 to 12 to get over there and have Squidley inspect my work one thing is for sure i think it will take a lot less time to change next time now that i know what NOT to do :rotf::rotf: hey Brad do yo have a welder the collector can be fixed by welding i do like the sound it makes but its just to loud for me i will be cutting up a soda can and wraping it with clamps for a temp fix all in all not a bad day oh my hand is fine thank god for bike jacks i had it under just in case

Guest tx2sturgis

Don’t shoot me but swapping wheels on the Ural takes about 20 minutes! If the tire has injested a nail, then figure another (maybe) 20 minutes to insert a new tube into the tire.

New tube cost? $12.

Of course a new tire is somewhere between $60 and about $100 depending on what brand, tread pattern, etc.

I know all about tire changes on the Venture. Been there. Done that.

hey Brad do yo have a welder the collector can be fixed by welding i do like the sound it makes but its just to loud for me i will be cutting up a soda can and wraping it with clamps for a temp fix all in all not a bad day oh my hand is fine thank god for bike jacks i had it under just in case

We can get it fixed, get on after it and over here and we'll make sure all is right with the world and your bike

:thumbsup2:

Brian you probably got 20 + yrs of changing bike tires so i wont shoot but i will say this thats the first bike tire i have changed in 25 yrs and the first was a front tire some25 yrs ago

Brad i may just wait til after christmass im waiting on some paper work to come in the mail that i have to sign and send back so once thats done i will let you know also with the holidays this close yall have enough to deal with close family holiday plans i dont want to disturb that because it could take a whole weekend going over this bike with a fine tooth comb but nothing major and deep