IGNORED

Ashamed of my Trike

Hummingbird

A few weeks ago I bought a 2008 GL1800 MotorTrike Adventure from a member here. This has no reflection on that member at all, it is ALL on Leola MotorTrike in Leola Pennsylvania.

When I bought the Trike, I didn't inspect it other that to ascertain that it was an IRS bike and the mileage was correct. It was a dark, overcast day and after my wife and I took a short test ride I was satisfied that everything worked.

I NEVER imagined that the paint job would be the worst example of a back yard apple tree job one could EVER see. Not only that Leola Trikes and Blackburns Trikes in Medina Ohio agreed that there were problems with the paint. There was fish eye, orange peel and clear coat flat spots all over the body of the trike kit.

I finally took it back to Leola Trikes in Leola Pennsylvania and the owner Ron said that if I left it a few days they would fix it. 2 weeks later I called ( for the 4th or 5th time) and was told by Ron (the owner) that it was ready.

btw - Leola Pa. is a 6 hour drive one way for me.

Upon arriving at Leola Trikes I was taken to the trike in their mechanical work area. There it sat - not looking too much better than when I left it. When I voiced my disappointment the painter blew up and said that he had re-painted the whole thing. TOTAL LIE ! During the time it was there Ron had told me that the painter was taking the aquashields off to buff them. It was evident that that hadn't been done either.

There was buffing marks, swirls and compound strewn all over the bike.

I could go on and on but a copy and paste from Leola MotorTrike web site pretty much belies their actual behavior - note the line in red - that evidently is also not true

Attached are a few pics

Quick Facts:

•Established in 1997

•Service to 14 states with over 600 trikes built

•Owner Ron Myers has over 22 years’ experience in the triking business

•Leola Motortrike is the only dealership that offers free warranty on their workmanship of a trike build that matches the manufacturer’s warranty of thetrike kit.

•Honda Certified Tech on staff with nearly 30 years’ experience on a variety of cycles

•Painter and paint booth in-house providing bike restoration, painting and repair

•Large showroom, full line of accessories and trikes for sale

•Dealer & trike builder for Motortrike, Yelvington, and Danson trikes.

•Providing full service, customization, and maintenance on all makes and models of bikes, trikes, and scooters, PA state inspections, parts, bike and rider accessories.

Wanna trade?? My Pontiac 2010 I wrinkled up the front of it. My fault but the body shop did a job on it that plain sucked. We go to court next week. When he offered to go to the parking lot to settle it I was there ahead of him. Magistrate told me "That's my buddy" Guess he thought I didn't know any better. Got upset when I made him recluse himself. It has been a mess. I got this 99 2nd Gen in my way now....:whistling:and everything that needs done at once.:think:

A 2nd Gen????????????????????

Wanna trade?? My Pontiac 2010 I wrinkled up the front of it. My fault but the body shop did a job on it that plain sucked. We go to court next week. When he offered to go to the parking lot to settle it I was there ahead of him. Magistrate told me "That's my buddy" Guess he thought I didn't know any better. Got upset when I made him recluse himself. It has been a mess. I got this 99 2nd Gen in my way now....:whistling:and everything that needs done at once.:think:

That's a shame. I am not a pro, but here are some of my "garage" paint jobs. If you want it redone in the spring, let me know.

The red bike is my wifes. I did the bags and ghost flames. The blue Tour Delue is Joe's (Star4772), I did the trunk. The Cinnamin fairing is for a Stratoliner. The blue, WRX is my sons. I did the right rear quarter, right rear door, right front door, A-pillar and above the doors. The rear door was rippled like crazy. It's straight as an arrow now. Let me know.

Edited by rickardracing

That's a shame. I am not a pro, but here are some of my "garage" paint jobs. If you want it redone in the spring, let me know.

The red bike is my wifes. I did the bags and ghost flames. The blue Tour Delue is Joe's (Star4772), I did the trunk. The Cinnamin fairing is for a Stratoliner. The blue, WRX is my sons. I did the right rear quarter, right rear door, right front door, A-pillar and above the doors. The rear door was rippled like crazy. It's straight as an arrow now. Let me know.

Randy, that's some REALLY nice work and a fine example of what can be done when a person cares. The painter at Leola Trikes that painted my trike is either half blind or just doesn't give a crap. Sad to say but the owner Ron made the comment that the factory (Honda) paint didn't look as good as their paint job.

attached are a couple examples of their FINE work

That is a Very nice gesture to offer a paint job. That's yet another reason why I love this site. The never ending giving....

That is a Very nice gesture to offer a paint job. That's yet another reason why I love this site. The never ending giving....

Now I'm ashamed of MYSELF - I was so wrapped in my own misery that I failed to notice a TOTAL genuine offer of help.

rickardracing - my apologies, thank you for the offer but as I mentioned, I already have my local auto body shop re-painting it.

As a matter of fact, Almasy Body Shop in Waynesburg, Ohio is taking care of it for me. The same painter that painted my 2007 Venture is doing my trike. He did a FINE job on the Venture

Thank you all for the kind words. I can see alot of fish eyes and orange peel in that paint. There really is no reason for it. If you see fish eyes, there IS an additive you can add. I have never had an issue with that before. When I painted Joe's trunk........it was way too humid. I had alot of problems with moisture getting into the clear. You don't see when you spray, but when it dries.......YIKES. I had separators at the tank and the gun. But in the end, I got it right. Orange peel..............absolutley no excuse. If your base coating (color) then clear coating, wet sand the clear then rub out. I always put atleast 6 good coats of clear on. When dry, I start with 1000 grit, when I see the roughness almost gone, I switch to 1200 grit, then when it is completely smooth, I finish with 1500 grit. Then wheel it out with Mequire's Diamond Cut 2.0 and a cotton wheel. Is it alot of work? You better believe it. But when you can take a picture like I did of the side of the blue car and you can see the grit of the asphalt of the driveway reflecting in the paint, THAT my friends is a smooth paint job. Prep is 90% of a paint job. Paint WILL NOT hide crappy prep. Then to just get lazy on finish...........why bother to even start. I take pride in my paint. It ain't leaving my garage until-----I AM SATISFIED. That's just how I roll.

We talked to the owner of motor trike while at americaide last year. He told us that if anyone of his shops does not to the best work he wants to know so he can correct the problem.

I had NUMEROUS emails and phone calls to MotorTrike in Texas - they were sympathetic but no help. My ONLY option is to trash Leola MotorTrike as often as I can.

I must add that MotorTrike had nothing to do with the lousy paint job, it was all on Leola MotorTrike in Leola Pa. (near Lancaster Pa )

I'm not generally a vindictive person until I've been lied to, then all bets are off, it then becomes an open playing field.

My last email from Texas was that because I was the second owner and the paint was 1 1/2 years old that it was pretty much my problem. I guess the warranty that matches the factory warranty that LEOLA MotorTrike advertises doesn't mean a thing.

I hesitate to refer to the original owner on open forum but if there is any interest, pm me but I beg that it goes no further than a pm.

Prep is 90% of a paint job. Paint WILL NOT hide crappy prep. Then to just get lazy on finish...........why bother to even start. I take pride in my paint. It ain't leaving my garage until-----I AM SATISFIED. That's just how I roll.

It takes more than just pride in ones work.

I take great pride in what I do, But my paint still always comes out crappy, at least by my standards.

There must also be a lot of skill and knowledge involved that I seem to be lacking.

LEOLA trikes owner told me that the fish eye and orange peel could have occurred after it left their shop.

:bang head: :bang head: :bang head:

Fish eye happens as soon as the paint hits the body. Orange peel does too. Those will not happen after the paint is dry. The owner of the shop needs to cut his painter loose and get a new one.

Freebird, we can talk in the spring about the trailer. My garage is not heated and it's too cold out now, but we will be able to work something out.

It takes more than just pride in ones work.

I take great pride in what I do, But my paint still always comes out crappy, at least by my standards.

There must also be a lot of skill and knowledge involved that I seem to be lacking.

PM me and tell me what's going on, maybe I can help. Again, I am not a painter by trade, just a Backyard Barney, but I can maybe make some suggestions. Believe me, my first few paint jobs were pretty bad.

I've spent some time hanging around a body shop over the years, its a science on painting now, with paints, materials used in car bodies now, they have so much needed to take into account as to what is used, when its done, the temps out side at that time, is it raining out, and more. All that stuff needs to be addressed when painting a car now a days.

LEOLA trikes owner told me that the fish eye and orange peel could have occurred after it left their shop.

:bang head: :bang head: :bang head:

So let me say it out loud. The guy is a liar!

It happen as and when the paint is being applied. PERIOD! End of story.

If the guy actually thinks that it can happen after painting then he is a bigger fool than the painter.

I too painted cars back in the day and I am here to tell you it ain't happening the way he said.

Rick is 100% right.

Most fisheyes are caused by silicon and poor preparation and cleanliness. Additives will get rid of it when added to the paint.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Find someone reputable and someone not full of BS.