IGNORED

Second gear \ install issue

Well I quit for the night. Had it all together with an extra spacer washer to take up some of the slop on the driven gear, then after I torqued it all down the tranny was stiff and hard to turn, so I took it all apart again, removed the washer, set it up loose and verything was ticka di booo. Put the bolts back in, after cleaning everything again and new gasket stuff, and now it's the same again. It's hard to turn and a real bugger to shift, feels like it's jumping through the rotations. Any ideas?? Is this normal until it gets full oil or should I look for something else?

My first thought would be did you get the pins that are attached to the bearings in the right place? You may have noticed there are several of the bearings that have a pin that keeps the outside race of the bearing from spinning when put together. There is a little slot that the pin fits in. Also, when you put the assembly in place in the bottom half of the case, you should be able to shift it thru the gears. This would mean taking the pan case off and moving the gears over to it to see how they work. Another thing is making sure you have the correct set of forks in the right location as you can switch them around. I hope this helps you get this three dimensional gig saw puzzle together.

RandyA

Mine turned easy when I was done mine. I haven't had it on the road yet.

I didn't put in any extra washers.

Yes, check for the pins on the bearings and the shims on the final drive gears. (they could fold over on assemble). I have some pics of the trany apart if you need some visual referance.

Hope this helps.

Scotty

Hey Marlcarl, let me know what you did wrong so I can do it, too!!!! Seriously, let us know so when I put mine back together hopefully I don't do it, too. Good luck, it's probably something simple, as we all tend to do sometimes!!

Good luck!!

Dan

Cant help but best of luck

BRad

I know. all you can do is eat, don't worry none though, I'll get it figuered with real help. lol

My first thought would be did you get the pins that are attached to the bearings in the right place? You may have noticed there are several of the bearings that have a pin that keeps the outside race of the bearing from spinning when put together. There is a little slot that the pin fits in. Also, when you put the assembly in place in the bottom half of the case, you should be able to shift it thru the gears. This would mean taking the pan case off and moving the gears over to it to see how they work. Another thing is making sure you have the correct set of forks in the right location as you can switch them around. I hope this helps you get this three dimensional gig saw puzzle together.

RandyA

I din't take the forks out, so they should be all right. the pins gave me a problem a week ago when I forgot about placing them first, and it has crossed my mind that it may be the issue still, Guess it comes apart once more to find the issue. Thanks

Mine turned easy when I was done mine. I haven't had it on the road yet.

I didn't put in any extra washers.

Yes, check for the pins on the bearings and the shims on the final drive gears. (they could fold over on assemble). I have some pics of the trany apart if you need some visual referance.

Hope this helps.

Scotty

Shims did give me a problem, but I changed them around and now they go in easier without folding up. Thanks.

Hey Marlcarl, let me know what you did wrong so I can do it, too!!!! Seriously, let us know so when I put mine back together hopefully I don't do it, too. Good luck, it's probably something simple, as we all tend to do sometimes!!

Good luck!!

Dan

Yep probably something simple, usually is. I'll let you know what I found, if I find it.

Found the problem, yep you guessed it, it's the mechanic, or rather the butcher turned mechanic, or maybe the old man trying to remember everything that goes back in. Didn't take too long to figure out what the problem could be when I seen some extra parts lying on the workbench, they were headed for the coffee can, but for now the coffee can is still empty. Amazing what happens when you back off the final gear a little bit, everything starts to work smoothly and effectively. Wow Just a few shims EH?

:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Oh well, whatever it takes... Motor Mission accomplished

HE still has to get it back in or started. HE may learn a few new words and scrape a couple knuckles before it runs. :rotf:

(you can ask Naugh-T as she won't help me any more, after her knuckles got in the wrong spot at the right time:rotf:, or was it a unreasonable to ask her to help lift the motor but she was doing well untill she hit her hand a couple times)

Brad

HE still has to get it back in or started. HE may learn a few new words and scrape a couple knuckles before it runs. :rotf:

(you can ask Naugh-T as she won't help me any more, after her knuckles got in the wrong spot at the right time:rotf:, or was it a unreasonable to ask her to help lift the motor but she was doing well until she hit her hand a couple times)

Brad

Well Brad, i'm not going to say that you are wrong, but since i did this more than once, i got to say i know what we're talking about. It did cost me and my Helpers some Scrapes and some Blood Loss every time...

Four Weeks ago, i did get it managed that the Lever i used to undo the Tire from the Rim ended up hitting my Head. Causing a small Cut above the Lash on left Eye and MASSIVE Blood Loss. I had three big Paper Rags full of Blood until the bleeding stopped. Afterwards, my Shop looked like a Butcher has gone over thirteen Pigs and had a Lot overtime.

But you know, that's the Price you have to pay. Nobody said it's easy to do. But i'm sure Carl will take the next Step, even with a little extra Pain. :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Ok,,,, will you guys cut it out,,,,,,,,I got Wizard765 all primed and ready to help slip the motor back into place, and now you're scaring him away with all that blood loss talk.:no-no-no: You know how we deal with left over product around here don't you??????????guess the pepperettes are just going to cost a bit more in the future,,,,,,got to grind the old meat a few more times, than that young tender stuff.:rotf::rotf:

Ok,,,, will you guys cut it out,,,,,,,,I got Wizard765 all primed and ready to help slip the motor back into place, and now you're scaring him away with all that blood loss talk.:no-no-no: You know how we deal with left over product around here don't you??????????guess the pepperettes are just going to cost a bit more in the future,,,,,,got to grind the old meat a few more times, than that young tender stuff.:rotf::rotf:

Sorry Carl, i don't get the Point ?

We are scaring Wizard ??

Who did say HE's going to have the Wounds ?? :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Hey with what Waynes is about to loose and you picking it up the scraps, pepperettes prices should go down. :rotf:

Brad

I think Carl sometimes breaks things other than body parts. Maybe he can fill us all in on what happened last night. I wonder if it is why he is looking for part numbers?

I AM starting to get nervous. I don't move as fast as I use to so may not get out of the way when things go BAAAAAD!!!

I am very interested in seeing Scamper back together though and working like new. The game plan is to do the same for Blondie next winter and with all the experience Carl is getting now it should be a breeze.

:322:

Wayne

I think Carl sometimes breaks things other than body parts. Maybe he can fill us all in on what happened last night. I wonder if it is why he is looking for part numbers?

I AM starting to get nervous. I don't move as fast as I use to so may not get out of the way when things go BAAAAAD!!!

I am very interested in seeing Scamper back together though and working like new. The game plan is to do the same for Blondie next winter and with all the experience Carl is getting now it should be a breeze.

:322:

Wayne

Oh sure and you promised not to say anything, and with the M&E coming up on Saturday, they are all gonna wanna know, probably t'row me out in the 'nobak somewhere if I don't tell, and if I let you tell the story it will probably take 1\2 hour to come up with all the goodies you can think of.

Never mind, I was going to keep it secret, and that's my plan and I'm sticking to it,:ignore: got a lot of work to do on Saturday:whistling:, may keep me busy for hours:think: maybe I'll just go out for lunch by myself,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Oh sure and you promised not to say anything, and with the M&E coming up on Saturday, they are all gonna wanna know, ,

Just a small assuption but you probably broke a gear, guess it aint going back together just yet ? Good thing spring is not here.

Brad

It's just really quite simple. Went to install the clutch basket, and there are a number of different reason for wanting another one. The one I have is not shiny enough - when I looked at it it looked somewhat crooked - the gears on the back looked a little worn - the engine fell off the work area when heavy breathing was employed and then smashed the basket, which would then render it unusable in a first gen - while tightening the stator the wrench flew off, hit the ceiling and bounced back and hit the basket breaking off one off it's fingers, Ya I like the last one, because it's close to what might really have happened. Either way whether you believe it or not, Carl is in need of another clutch basket, and I don't want no whining, so hopefully we'll get one from a VMAX, compliments of our local Mechanic, BOB.

Carl

so hopefully we'll get one from a VMAX, compliments of our local Mechanic, BOB.

Carl

SO is this the reason you have a meet and Eat so our friends south of the border can bring the parts up ?

I like the idea, and it is just in time for me ! :rotf:

BTW did you forget what shop coat you had on ? :sign20:

Brad

Carl,

I have this '83 motor out here. Is the clutch basket the same? If so, I will try to get it out and you can have it if I can. Let me know if you want it.

Don

Thanks Don, but I quite sure that our local Bob will have one close handie. but if not, I'll keep you in mind.:thumbsup2:

SO is this the reason you have a meet and Eat so our friends south of the border can bring the parts up ?

I like the idea, and it is just in time for me ! :rotf:

BTW did you forget what shop coat you had on ? :sign20:

Brad

Don't you have work to do or something????????:buttkick: