IGNORED

Can-Am Spyder

Bob Myers

May possibly be in the market for one of these.

However, looking at the used ones for sell makes me wonder about them in a serious manner. Most of the ones you see for sell have less than 7k miles on them, with the average of the 128 units on ebay right now being 1500 or so miles. What gives here? Are these playtoys of the rich and they get bored with them quickly or is there really something wrong that makes the owner ditch them in less than a year?

i think the problem is they are not a motorcycle i have been on trikes and sidecars for the last 20 years so to me it is no problem with the different way they handle.i think it is like going from a 2 wheeler onto a trike or sidecar i takes a while to come to grips with the different handling but once you have it mastered you won't want to go back.

May possibly be in the market for one of these.

However, looking at the used ones for sell makes me wonder about them in a serious manner. Most of the ones you see for sell have less than 7k miles on them, with the average of the 128 units on ebay right now being 1500 or so miles. What gives here? Are these playtoys of the rich and they get bored with them quickly or is there really something wrong that makes the owner ditch them in less than a year?

At $21K or $22K for a new one and used ones everywhere for $12K, don't have to be rich to afford them.

One of the nice things about free enterprise is that anything that meets federal standards can be marketed to the consumer. The can-am hasn't taken over the market but I'm sure they have their own following just as venture riders or Honda riders.

I have never rode one and most likely will not because I just don't like the overall appearance. Eye candy comes in all shapes but I personally do not see any calories in the Can-Am.

To each their own. I like them and see one in my future. After all, none of us are getting any younger. If they can extend ones years on a motorcycle I'm all for it.:322: I think they are over priced though. Here in Canada the top of the line RT is over 30 grand.

I'm a believer in Can Am products. Have been since about 1970. (when I got my first Ski Doo !2/3 Olympique) My last ATV was an Outlander 400 that I did my best to destroy for 6500 miles. I beat it with no mercy day after day and it never failed me.

I assume that a Spyder would take some time getting used to. After all it is totally different than anything we are used to operating. But the principle of the thing is sound. And the same folks that give us the REV chassis, ETEC, the first electronic reverse, and Rotax engines build it. If I ever get to the point I can't ride 2 wheels, my trike will have 2 wheels in front. It just make more sense that way.

However, if they get any uglier, wow, they are going to have to come with whiskey and a pork chop.

I fully understand the huge difference of the 2 versus 3 wheel mannerism. This thing will be like riding an ATV on the highway except for the flotation tires.

I just can't fathom some one buying this for 25-30k and dumping it after only a year. If I buy one it'll be in my stable for a minimum of 10 years so dependability is my main concern.

Skid; you said immediately that you couldn't keep them running, they didn't last long. Care to elaborate on that fairly ambiguous statement please?

You need to take a long test ride. I can tell you that they are not for everybody. I took about a 20 minute test ride a few years ago and loved it. I really thought I wanted one. Then a couple of years ago I took one for a full day during the International Rally in NY. My wife and I put a couple hundred miles on it. I could not wait to get off that thing. After a few miles, my back and legs were killing me. My infatuation with it was over with. Now I am tall and have a long inseam. They are simply not built for tall riders.

So, I came very close to buying one after that short test ride. Had I done so, it would have been one of those you see on Ebay with less than 2000 miles on it very quickly.

I would think, as everyone here has said, that you would need to ride one. Last year I was in Cherokee, NC checking into a motel when a guy rode up next to me on a spyder. It had a Wasington tag. I asked him in he had rode all the way from washington. He said yes and he had been riding for three weeks and was going to ride the dragon tail the next day. I asked him how he like the spyder and he said he wouldn't own anything else. He said he had owned two goldwing trikes but after riding the spyder he would never ride any other trike. I told him to be careful riding the dragon because its easy to go into the curves too fast and get into trouble. He said if on side of the spyder came off the ground it had a computer in the front end that would automatically correct the front and keep both wheels on the ground. It's like everything else, some people will like and some not.

Every one is in unison with the "ride it for a hundred miles" thought, wife really, really wants one of these, specifically the tour model so I guess we'll be in the market to rent or test ride one .

Any one know where one could be rented in South Carolina area? She wants to go back to Charleston for a week, be nice to do both at same time

I have been told by the people that own them that if you ever owned a snowmobile you will have no problem with the Spyder. Apparently the feel of them is very similar.:detective:

I live in Ky, only snowmobiles I ever saw were either in pictures, on a trailer, or a you tube video of one wiping out! Rode a Ski Doo once though

I have been told by the people that own them that if you ever owned a snowmobile you will have no problem with the Spyder. Apparently the feel of them is very similar.:detective:

They would have some very similar feeling and response. I've never had a Spyder on the road, have ridden one for a few minutes in a parking lot. There is a mannerism that can compare to snowmobile and (or) wheelers. I have spent a lot of years on wheelers and sleds. With 2 skis in front and 1 center drive apparatus in the back there s some similarity to a sled. And I kinda like the "lift the inside ski, slip the back end a bit" turning style of a sled. Would have to be fun on tires as well. But, I have yet to grow up in any real fashion.

To be honest, I am dying to take a motorcycle and a 4 wheeler to make a road legal ATV. 4 stroke, 4 cylinder, D.O.T. tired, 4 wheeler. With a street bike center section for the VIN. :whistling: All the legit motorcycle inspection items should get it on the road. :fingers-crossed-emo

You need to take a long test ride. I can tell you that they are not for everybody. I took about a 20 minute test ride a few years ago and loved it. I really thought I wanted one. Then a couple of years ago I took one for a full day during the International Rally in NY. My wife and I put a couple hundred miles on it. I could not wait to get off that thing. After a few miles, my back and legs were killing me. My infatuation with it was over with. Now I am tall and have a long inseam. They are simply not built for tall riders.

So, I came very close to buying one after that short test ride. Had I done so, it would have been one of those you see on Ebay with less than 2000 miles on it very quickly.

I'm with Freebird on this one, and I didn't even need to ride it. I sat on Big Bob's up in Cody a couple of years ago and couldn't figure out where to put my knees, plus getting off the thing was a real chore. So for those of us that are horizontally challenged it doesn't fit. For those that are vertically challenged it's great!!....

I've done demo rides on the RT's twice now. I cannot ride the RS's as their seating position puts pressure on my hands and sets off my carpal. Definitely NOT fun trying to ride something you can't hold onto. Last demo ride I did both the RT and the new ST. The problem I have with them is the lateral movement [side to side] as it feels like the seat is kinda rocking sideways. The RTs have adjustable suspension [at least the one I was on did!] and you may be able to tune that out.

Outside of that, I like them. I'm waiting for the opportunity to try the '14 model RT which has a 1300cc engine and a 6 sp tranny while the ST and the RS will keep the 1000cc Rotax engine/5sp they have always had.

And as for the $12-13k [or less] price tags you see on used ones? Those are the RS models, NOT the RT's! The RS seating position is basically the same as a sport bike which is why I think alot of them end up being sold as most people are not into that style of riding. It is also why I think Can Am came up with the ST which has a seating postion much closer to that of the RT so it is more along the lines of a sport tourer than the RS's seating position. I know I do not have the same problems with the seating position on the ST that I have on the RS.

Personally, I'd rather have a RSV trike than the Spyder. It would be far easier to work on than that rolling collection of techno. But it's a case of wait and see. Whether or not the new model of the Spyder would be worth waiting for to find one used [i'm figuring 4 yrs or so for that] or really blow the bank account and buy a new one. I'm also figuring on giving CanAm at least 2 years in any case on the new version so that they have a chance to get all the bugs worked out.

Now if I could just figure out a way to buy B2Dad's trike!:mo money:

We decided that for two up touring we wanted to go to three wheels. I had never ridden a trike, but thought that we might like a GW version (I wanted reverse if we were on 3W). As part of our looking, we went to the local Yamaha dealer that also has Can-Am and GW trikes. First I test drove an RT (I'm 5'11), while the handling is different than a motorcycle, I thought that I could get the hang of it, and it did feel pretty perky. Then I started on a triked F6B. Didn't even finish riding it on the same route before heading back. Just my opinion, but I felt more comfortable with the handling of the two wheels forward over two behind.

We went on a 350 mile ride after getting it and I have been using it commuting to school. In the downcheck side I would have to say the amount of tupperware to get to anything, the amount of heat generated, the MPG is lower than the RSV (that may change as I get better acclimated to the sled). On the upside, I have found it comfortable (with Utopia backrest), I am getting used to the semiautomatic transmission and like it alot, rode backseat yesterday for about 30 miles in traffic and didn't have any problems.

What I am learning is that this sled likes the higher RPMs. Folks coming off HD will probably have a harder time acclimating. The sweet spot seems to be around 5 - 7K, I don't get into 5th until over 65 mph.

Guest tx2sturgis

To be honest, I am dying to take a motorcycle and a 4 wheeler to make a road legal ATV. 4 stroke, 4 cylinder, D.O.T. tired, 4 wheeler. With a street bike center section for the VIN. :whistling: All the legit motorcycle inspection items should get it on the road. :fingers-crossed-emo

You're talking about a street quad:

http://thekneeslider.com/honda-gold-wing-quad-from-hannigan-motorsports/

:happy34:

Bob- We rode the 2013 RT Limited a couple times on test rides. Two up with the wife was very comfortable. She is 5'10" and I am 5'9". Neither of us are skinny folks either. Forward and aft room was very good. Seat width was decent but could use a bit more bucketing to suit us. Think Corbin style. Riding position with the floorboards was very nice. The only thing I felt was the need for the adjustable handlebar option. Now, we were on a Rotax 990 with a 5 speed. It likes to rev, so shifting is above 4000 for best results. I cranked it 5000 and just punched the upshift paddle without letting off the throttle. It did very well and was precise. Wind it on out to 7000 and it moves out very well for 1200 pounds with 2 people. Not an 1800 Wing, or even a 1300 RSV but I was satisfied. The 3 wheel ABS is fantastic. Stomp the right foot pedal and it stops NOW! Controlled and no skidding.

Now on to the handling. Run it like a four wheeler or snowmobile. I found that in a turn rather than totally pulling the bar back to turn, I was able to control better with a push on the opposite side. Kinda like countersteering on a two wheeler. So a push and a pull. A loose arm stance and light input to the power steering made a smooth ride. As we hit corners, we found how to shift our weight by increasing downward foot pressure on the outside leg. Just think push and brace. Most of the time the wife could keep her hands off the grab rails in normal corners. When we hit them hard, she learned to grab the handhold at least on the inside. What was different was learning to shift our weight in unison as we hit twisties. The passenger is more active. At least with our weights. I think if I had all the suspension adjustments right for us, I could leave a lot of riders in the dust on a Spyder in the twisties. We hit the stability nanny once. And that was on a tight left 90 far in excess of normal!!

The amenities are avery bit as good as any touring bike. And it has an electric windshield. Stereo is not quite as nice as the Wing, but once you find the tone and balance controls it sounds good. Most of the demo bikes were set very flat. Controls were intuitive and the multi buttons would be easy to learn.

The ability to pull a trailer using factory supplied hitch and even trailer is a plus. No worries about voiding a warranty. And the regular gear drive reverse as opposed to electric is fantastic.

I am looking forward to riding the 1300 triple with the 6 speed. With 40% more torque in a much lower powerband it should be a real winner. The fuel mileage on the twin was not that good. The triple is supposed to give exellent range and mileage. Over 200 on a tank. One tester reported 38mpg.

So, call it a roadster, be open minded, and give it an honest evaluation. Will I buy one? Definately yes. Will I give up the 2 wheels? Not until I have to. The wife wants one of her own. And of course, if something happened to me, she could drive and I could sit back. Or she could even bring it home solo.

Bottom line is different, fun, and fills a definite need.

JB

My son has a RS model and while I have ridden it, thou not for any extended time, I found the seating position awkward for me. As mentioned earlier by Brenda that model is mort sport bike so it puts knees up and weight on your wrists. With a bad back it didn't take long for me to feel it tightening up.

I do agree it was fun to ride and if I ever was to get serious about one it'd be the Touring model with floorboards and pull back bars. The new "14" models coming out should be a big improvement as noted by Lonestarmedic too.

Just my thoughts here

Larry