IGNORED

I am putting rain-x on my windshield

tufftom4

After reading the article about riding in the rain I am going to put Rain-X on my windshield I have never known anyone who has had there's ruined from it only people saying that they had heard that it would hurt it WELL I AM GOING TO PUT IT TO THE TEST AND WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS. I don't care if it cost me 100$ for another shield I hate riding in the rain and not seeing.

Tom

After reading the article about riding in the rain I am going to put Rain-X on my windshield I have never known anyone who has had there's ruined from it only people saying that they had heard that it would hurt it WELL I AM GOING TO PUT IT TO THE TEST AND WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS. I don't care if it cost me 100$ for another shield I hate riding in the rain and not seeing.

Tom

The plastic has a coating on the windshield that has been known to peel off and others state a hazing. Good luck and keep us posted.

Tom

I do it all the time. Never had a problem. :cool10:

I have used RainX on my stock windshield and face shield on the helmet and to date, there has been no problem. My understanding is that it takes quite a while for the hazing to show up unless you use the stuff twice a week (Once a month should be plenty). I found that the face shield needed replacing from scratches and nicks before the RainX could cause a problem. I suppose it depends in part on how much riding you do, since that will determine how quickly you'll get nicks and scratches. I now have a Clearview which does a decent job (And is OK for use with RainX) but in barely a year it has already started to show some scratching and a few pits from stuff tossed against it. My next windshield will be an F4 Customs. I'm anxious to see if it holds up as well as everyone says it does.

I've noticed that the Rainx doesn't work as well on the various plastics as on glass and doesn't have much effect under 80 kph (50 MPH). It allows rain to stream off pretty well at higher speeds but the slop thrown onto the windshield from passing cars or those that i follow doesn't stream off as well. I suppose that's because it tends to be mixed in with the crap found on the road surface. At the end of the day, I prefer seeing over the windshield since I still need to use my face shield to keep the water out of my eyes and looking through two pieces of plastic reduces my vision more than looking through just one.

That's my two cents worth.

Andy

Tom

I have used it on my 2007 Venture, without any problems, I Do not do it often , just every couple weeks, so maybe a dozen times a year. My windshield is still clear and scratch free. I suspect many of the dire warnings you hear are not from first hand experience.

Al

I keep a bottle of Splat windshield cleaner/polish that I picked up while at J&P Cycles during out International Rally, and a nice clean cotton terry cloth towel in

my saddlebag for cleaning on the road and it takes the bugs off super easily.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/960-010

I usually hit my shield with some Meguiar's PlastX every spring. IT buffs the tiny swirl marks that you get after cleaning all summer right out. The ones you generally only see when the sun hits the shield just right. I do both sides and the shield stays crystal clear.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=4596

This summer I used some Turtle Wax after a good cleaning to see if it would help with the swirl marks. I got stuck in the rain a couple weekends ago and the water beaded up the same as if I use Rain-X. After the windshield dried, there were no water spots any where and it was still nice and clean.

http://www.turtlewax.com/detail-Super%20Hard%20Shell%20Liquid%20Wax-42-44.aspx

Just make sure you use a good clean cotton or microfiber rag to apply and clean everything. I keep a couple of the cotton terry cloth rags in a heavy Ziploc bag in the saddlebag. I keep the dirty ones seperate and wash them regularly.

Hope this help someone,

Bill