IGNORED

Got 'er done!!!!

Well, after an evening last night of prepping the office/ new work space, put the bike in there last night for the motor removal. Had to do some errands and work today, so about 4:30ish I got the final start on the engine removal. This was after an hours conversation with RandyA (Thanks Randy!) on the depth and scope of my problem and with great words of encouragement.

To make a short project long, I went ahead and decided to remove the rear subframe and parts. I had long ago decided, and finally made the move, to strip and clean the bike. I mean, what the heck, whats another month in this process. Also, I believe the first time I meet you guys face-to-face, with a clean and painted engine, and a filthy and scratched frame and no maintenance done to it, I figured I'd be in TROUBLE!!!!! So like Dad taught me, if you're gonna do a job for yourself, do it all the way, do it right, and take three times as much as it should to get it done!

Well, to make a brief history of it, here's Randy's diagnosis with just a conversation. I tend to agree with him. With it kicking out of 2nd only at high torque (WOT 1 up, riding 2 up, mid to 3/4 throttle), he has suggested that it may only be the thrust washer that is worn and may not be any damage to the gears themselves. It is my sincere hope that he is correct, so that more energies (and Money) can go towards other areas of the bike.

For my initial investment of 600 bucks for the bike, and the money I've spent so far, I'll end up with about 1500 in her, with everything but a paint job done. I don't believe that's too bad a deal. But, I emphasize, it is not done without the considerable help and time of people from this site that has made it possible. That part is incalculable. But the time I spend working on my bike will only help me understand the finer workings and be able to reciprocate my knowledge to those others that may need it.

Well, here are a couple pics from the glorious moment:

The young man is my son, Nic

Looks like all you 1st gen people will have one more really good mechanic to help you guys along when your down..

By time he gets this bike back together he should be able to fix most anything wrong with a 1st gen..

Hi Dan,

your taken a tremendous Job, you have my sincere Respect for that. Hats off !!!

Anyway, when the Thust Washer are the only Problem, you have to split the Case to fix them. I would undercut the Dogs of the Gears anyway. Thats no big Deal and doesn't cost anything except an extra Hour of Work.

This project is small, compared to the 65 Corvair sitting in the driveway waiting for the same, except I have 3 motors to work on for it! Not scared to tackle this, it's more like therapy or relaxation for me. Most of it is just cleaning and painting. The driveshaft actually still had some grease on it at the u-joint end! As Randy suggested, with the v-boost kit I plan to put on, I will be installing the 3/8" strut rods for bracing in the center stand area. Also rebuilding the front end with new progressive springs and seals, probably replace the headstock bearings, etc. I may not get on the road till late April, but I'm in this bike for the long haul.

Squeeze- will be inspecting those dogs closely, and will undercut if it even looks like it needs it. No sense to have to do it twice!

Thanks guys,

Dan

Not that I'm an expert by any means, but the new thrust washer I got from the dealer was actually slightly thinner than the old one. I'm talking the difference of 1\10thousands of an inch. So they were the same size for that matter. What did show wear was the special washer at the end of the shaft. This is a split washer, two half moon pieces and them I threw out and replaced. I also noticed a lot of slop in the large gear at the other end of the shaft and am busy filing the left-over thrust washer down to take up most of that slack. So far I got it down to about .122" but expect it will be about .110" when I'm done.

I really admire the wrench heads in here. There's no way i could undertake something like this. I'd be better off mowing lawns to make some money to pay someone else to do it. I would rather do the wrenching myself, it looks awesome. Just don't know the first thing about it and I would first need to do an extreme makeover of my garage to undertake anything more serious than an oil change.

I really admire the wrench heads in here. There's no way i could undertake something like this. I'd be better off mowing lawns to make some money to pay someone else to do it. I would rather do the wrenching myself, it looks awesome. Just don't know the first thing about it and I would first need to do an extreme makeover of my garage to undertake anything more serious than an oil change.

Papa, if you can change oil in your mower, then most of this is not above you. A decent mechanical instinct, 10,000 people on here willing to help you, about 150 square feet (my area in the office is 12 x 12), and a place to clean dirty stuff is all thats needed. AND SOME BIG BRASS B***S TO HAVE THE NERVE TO JUMP IN!!!! To me, rebuilding it myself is the only reassurance that my bike is ready to go at anytime and not have to worry about anything. Give it a try sometime!!

Dan

Yea but you would have to cut 4200 yards to earn enough money to pay a shop to do this. Buy an manual and get your hands dirty. The best tech advice I've found is right here ready and willing to help. You'll find it a lot, cheaper and more rewarding to DIY.

Well, after an evening last night of prepping the office/ new work space, put the bike in there last night for the motor removal. Had to do some errands and work today, so about 4:30ish I got the final start on the engine removal. This was after an hours conversation with RandyA (Thanks Randy!) on the depth and scope of my problem and with great words of encouragement.

To make a short project long, I went ahead and decided to remove the rear subframe and parts. I had long ago decided, and finally made the move, to strip and clean the bike. I mean, what the heck, whats another month in this process. Also, I believe the first time I meet you guys face-to-face, with a clean and painted engine, and a filthy and scratched frame and no maintenance done to it, I figured I'd be in TROUBLE!!!!! So like Dad taught me, if you're gonna do a job for yourself, do it all the way, do it right, and take three times as much as it should to get it done!

Well, to make a brief history of it, here's Randy's diagnosis with just a conversation. I tend to agree with him. With it kicking out of 2nd only at high torque (WOT 1 up, riding 2 up, mid to 3/4 throttle), he has suggested that it may only be the thrust washer that is worn and may not be any damage to the gears themselves. It is my sincere hope that he is correct, so that more energies (and Money) can go towards other areas of the bike.

For my initial investment of 600 bucks for the bike, and the money I've spent so far, I'll end up with about 1500 in her, with everything but a paint job done. I don't believe that's too bad a deal. But, I emphasize, it is not done without the considerable help and time of people from this site that has made it possible. That part is incalculable. But the time I spend working on my bike will only help me understand the finer workings and be able to reciprocate my knowledge to those others that may need it.

Well, here are a couple pics from the glorious moment:

The young man is my son, Nic

Go for it Nic. good you have help see pics on what I had to do to get motor back in frame without help. Glad you took my advice on work area location. I guess the hose defrosted.

Guest EDGE540T

If you are going to take time and effort to tear this thing down, I would replace the two gears and the shift fork. You can see the wear on the gears but once these bike start jumping out of gear you will bend the shift fork. I worked for Yamaha for 13 years as a mechanic and have learened from experience don't take a chance on not replacing the parts. You should be able to get the gears and fork for less than $200.00. Also there is a tool that you will need to compress the transmission shaft assy to push the heavy spring down to remove the retaining clip to disassemble the shaft with the gears. I have the tool but you will need a light duty shop press to do this. If you want to borrow the tool please let me know.

Joe

Also there is a tool that you will need to compress the transmission shaft assy to push the heavy spring down to remove the retaining clip to disassemble the shaft with the gears. Joe

Joe, there are a couple guys here that built their own rig for this, pretty simple, gonna try that.

Thanks though,

Dan

Guest EDGE540T

I'm not sure if you know this or not but you don't have to pull the top end off the motor to do the repairs. I did a VMAX for a friend last year and we didn't even pull the carbs off the bike. Drain the oil, drop the motor and flip it over and go to work. I charge $500.00 plus parts to do a tranny on these bikes if the motor is out of the frame. Parts are around $200.00 for eveything you need.

Joe

Go for it Nic. good you have help see pics on what I had to do to get motor back in frame without help. Glad you took my advice on work area location. I guess the hose defrosted.

Dragon, kept the hose in the garage, in the 40's- 50's this weekend, gonna do it in the driveway!!!

Dan

Dragon, kept the hose in the garage, in the 40's- 50's this weekend, gonna do it in the driveway!!!

Dan

Good for you you will save a lot of bucks. If your interested I'm gonna disect and part out old motor. I never had any transmission problems and your welcome to those used parts that are in mine if you want them.

Good for you you will save a lot of bucks. If your interested I'm gonna disect and part out old motor. I never had any transmission problems and your welcome to those used parts that are in mine if you want them.

I'll check the forks and gears, maybe have it apart by Sunday night. Let you know.

THanks Dragon.

Dan