IGNORED

Asheville...2014

Venturous Randy

While at Vogal this year, there were several that asked if we were having an Asheville get together next year. At this point, I know I sure want to. It was great to be able to see some old friends and make some new friends at Vogal and it sure did make me start thinking about next year.

As some may know I was the one that primarily put together Asheville after our first year when Mini muffin helped me get it started. Last year, due to several issues I was dealing with, I was not sure what I could do and Warrior (Mark ) stepped in and did a great job. Unfortunately, not long after the Asheville event, we lost Mark.

For those of you that have never been or heard about Asheville, in the off year with Vogal, we have a get together in Asheville, NC at the KOA east campground in Swannanoa, NC. It is a great place to have an event as the campground is great and we always have a bunch of campers that are all together near a beautiful lilly pond. They have nice cabins and best of all, some great places to ride. Also, there are some great places to eat. Generally, the weather has been very comfortable, especially for camping.

The Asheville event has always intentionally been a very laid back affair. About the only thing that we kind of schedule is breakfast and that is because we usually have a pancake fixin and after that we may go off in different groups on rides. Sometimes the ladies may be a little tired of riding and will do some shopping or whatever as there are always some cages available.

To describe Asheville is like an extended meet & eat. There is no registration, all though I do publish an ICE (In Case of Emergency) list for those that respond. If you want a door prize, you will need to bring your own. It is very informal and just a great event to have a lot of fun.

So, for those that have any questions, comments or suggestions, let er rip. As usual, as we get closer, we will start looking at dates that work best for the most people.

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

Randy,

I live in Hickory and would be glad to help organize an Asheville Rally. I have been thinking the same thing as you, I missed the last one and would love to be part of doing another one.....

Western NC is a great place, we are blessed with a lot of great roads and beautiful scenery. For anyone who hasn't been here its worth the ride....

In hindsight... We probably should have done one in honor of Mark this year...

If you have one next year "2014", I'll be there...

Joe

The thought crossed my mind, but I did not want to take anything away from Vogal this year. I have also considered suggesting next year be the Mark Hopey, Warrior Memorial Rally. I know that either way, if a bunch of us got together and had a real fun time, Mark would be pleased. If there ever was a fun guy, it was Mark.

The thought of asking if anyone wanted to get together sometime in mid September this year has crossed my mind. Asheville in September is a beautiful time of the year even though it would be too early for the turning of the trees. But, riding the Blue Ridge Parkway on a bike in October can be dangerous as many are looking at everything but motorcycles. :whistling:

RandyA

For those who haven't been to the area if there are any places you want to see we can arrange a group ride. The first year I set up a group ride to Biltmore house. We had a blast. Like Randy said we never have done any fancy stuff, just time to kick back and have fun. It's easy access to lots of riding areas. The Blue Ridge of course, but it's not too far to get into TN. The Smokey MT are right near by as well. I'd definitely go, get to see my granddaughter as well they live in Shelby. Did that last time I was there.

I thought about something for Mark as well, but with the International and Vogel it would be too much. Definitely would be great to do a special ride maybe for Mark if we get this set up for next year.

Oh just thought of it maybe some Wine would be there? Just thinking out loud.

Margaret

Oh just thought of it maybe some Wine would be there? Just thinking out loud.

Margaret

can't make Sept. this year Trina has no vacation left. but 2014 we can do it.

Does this mean we need to wait until next year so Woody and Katrina can be there? I mean, they have been the ones that have brought cases of the best homemade wine I have ever had.:whistling:

Then again, maybe someone can contribute some Apple Pie I keep hearing about.

RandyA

Heck I'll make the Apple Pie, but I ain't drinking it. Wasn't feeling too good this year at MD on sat morning. I don't even know how much of it I drank. But I can make it. I've been toying with the idea of making some mead as well. That would give me a whole bunch of guin.... Um I mean folks to try it with. :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

I say we think about it for next year for sure.

Margaret

Depends on when since we are planning a trip to New England Next year also. Would like to make it if possible. I Love that part of North Carolina. A place we used to camp every year when I was a kid was Little River Camping Resort, Near Brevard about 35 miles south of Asheville. Its now known as Cascade Lake Recreation Area and Campground. http://www.cascadelakerecreationarea.com/index.html Beautiful area and more rural than a KOA. I personally prefer not to camp next to a highway or in ear shot of one, but thats just me. I do offer it as suggestion for a location however.

Had a chance to go through there traveling for work and the owner of that property turned it over to Cradle of Foresty to run it. When I was there in 2010 he was reportedly in his 90's and still alive. It closed for several years prior to C of F taking it over for him. Guy gave me tour and it was much like I remembered it. 10 foot wood diving platform is gone now (Age, lawyers, both) but still sits quietly in a relatively unspoiled area.

Guys at the campground said his kids have no interest in running it and as long as the old man is alive he won't sell to developers. Be sad to see it go that route. If you are nearby go check it out. If you win the lottery, put in on your list of places to buy and preserve.

I see, Vogel and Ashville take turns every other year. looks like Ashville is on even numbered years...

Just do something about the rain... LOL

We need to pay off some NC Indians, to not raindance.

In 2012 when we went to deals gap it was raining so hard, everyone had to go inside and we didn't get to do the dragon... heck it was raining so hard, on the way back that i could just barely see Kevin (AKRefugee) the tailgunner and he was only 30' back...

That's not asking to much is it?:whistling: