IGNORED

Revealed: 2014 Indian Chieftain Tourer, $22,999

Guest tx2sturgis

Would you post his thoughts after he has ridden it for awhile?

I really like that bike.

:happy34:

I will post my thought about the bike, because I will ride one on the 23rd of August. Mark Moses is the owner of the local Indian/Victory dealership and there will be demo rides on the 23rd. Can't wait. :clap2::clap2:

:farmer:

Guest tx2sturgis
I will post my thought about the bike, because I will ride one on the 23rd of August. Mark Moses is the owner of the local Indian/Victory dealership and there will be demo rides on the 23rd. Can't wait. :clap2::clap2:

:farmer:

Cool!

I might get the opportunity to ride one in September, during the BBBBQ rally in Fayetteville, and possibly a Honda F6B which also has my attention.

I'm not saying I'm ready for a new bike...but the deals on the F6B are pretty good right now...and its a great time to be shopping for a touring bike, or touring cruiser! Look at all the choices!

:happy34:

Edited by tx2sturgis

How can they call this a touring bike without a tour box and a comfortable passenger seat? For $23,000 I expected more than a few Tech-Gadgets, pegs for your passenger really.....Its a choice but not real competition for the Harley line. You can buy a RoadKing for around $20,000 and cruise. This so called Indian Touring bike is really a cruiser anyway.:thumbdown:

I have a 2009 Star 1300 Tourer, V twin 1304cc, water cooled, 5 sp, belt drive, its basically a cruiser with a couple of sidebags, has a god awful windshield, almost nothing has really improved long distance riding on this bike, I added a Roxx Riser kit, angled the windshield back, modded the seat, its still a cruiser and is still uncomfortable to ride, I bought it new off the showroom floor in 2009.

It only has 1750 miles.

Its been parked in my bike shed and not ridden in almost a month now since I picked up an 89 Royale. I love my Royale. I bought my first one a fire restoration project last month and then the Royale two weeks ago, I am riding it everyday its so nice.

can't stand the low rpm two cycle pulse combined with belt throb and I am a most convinced no matter how good it sounds an air cooled engine won't last as long as a water cooled one, it may last as long but what about oil leakage and burning?

Until I find something better I am hooked on the V4 engine. And shaft drives, liquid cooling, real fairings and big traditional trunks.

I will say that I have a love affair with the circa 2010/2011 Chief Vintage in Wintergreen and Cream. At that time I believe it was around $37k new. I would think that the resale on those bikes is going to tank. Why would someone pay oh, say $30k for a used 2010 or so when they can get a new one for low to mid 20's? Bad news for those owners, BUT, maybe good news for me!!! Maybe a smoking deal on an older one will come up. :whistling:(waiting)

What's the deal with the eye brows? They all want to look like a Venture?

Actually , the fairing looks like a cross between the Venture & Voyager. I think it looks pretty good. I like the idea of the "passing lamps" built into the fairing. Supposedly, they are LED. Look like halogen, as does the headlamp. Is the headlamp supposed to be LED as well?

Do they send a confirmation email on your sweepstakes entry? I'm trying to enter and the little wheel by the enter button spins and nothing else happens. tired referesh and the form went blank. Entered the wife and the same thing happens. Just not meant to win a Polaris I guess.

Not sure I dig the looks. Have to see one in person.

Its 3:15am Michigan time and Tippy amd I just got in from a month long tour.. We made it to Sturgis just in time for the unvieling of the new Indian line.. Awesome party and gorgeous bikes!! Polaris really did the marquee up right. I have been following the process since the buy out and telling Tippy all along how I hoped they (polaris) would follow the lines of the original Chief.. I redid one a few years ago and LOVED the bike.. Well, they did it - it is gorgeous!!

Now, here is the major downer, EVERYONE I had talked to and everything I read about their pricing was a starting price of 18900.00 just to get a few on the market.. Since Harleys number 1 seller is the Street Glide and it can be had for 17900 I thought Polaris was walking a thin edge in pricing, like they have been doing with the Victory.. As we left the party at the museum in Sturgis there was a huge banner displayed showing the price had gone up to 20900 as a starting price!! I honestly think they should have gone the other way for a short time to get the bikes out and let them prove themselves.. So people KNOW they arent living in the realm of the old 92 inch Victory again - remember thse years? On the other hand, it is entirely possible that these new Indians will hit the market hard and be in the Zone of a CVO HD Ultra next year,, and than some..

Tippy and I were front row standers and the place was packed - and I mean PACKED - you should have heard the WOWs coming from the crowd!! Some well known riders (I am beat or I would download the video and get names) rode the bikes in and had spent some time on them and they just could not say enough for the dynamics of the bike.. I really think polaris has done it this time,, only time will tell which way the ball goes with the pricing.. If it were me and I wanted one (or should I say, if I could afford one) I dont think I would wait,, could get real pricey real fast..

Puc

Guest tx2sturgis
I gotta admit. And I hate to. But that ugly fairing.........is starting to look not so ugly. Does this mean I am converting?

Its supposed to remind you of the front of the 1950's era locomotives. I like it.

I will NOT be taking one for a demo ride with the title for my Venture in my back pocket...

Or will I?

:think:

Some bikes look better in person than in pics. From pics I'm not sure. I do like the fact both sides of the bike look good. Two many V twins look good from the pipe (right) side but no the side stand side. I like the balanced look of the V4 and this bike comes close in that regard. Jury still out on the fairing.

There is a full page (both pages in the center) magazine ad by Indian that's also pretty good. Riders on Indians going past a group of riders unloading the other V Twin brand from trailers. Don't remember the caption but it was in either Motor Trend or Road and Track. I'll see if I can find it.

Copy of the Ads here: http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2013/04/22/indian-motorcycle-marketing-strategy/comment-page-2/ I like the Their way, The Highway Ad.

Some bikes look better in person than in pics. From pics I'm not sure. I do like the fact both sides of the bike look good. Two many V twins look good from the pipe (right) side but no the side stand side. I like the balanced look of the V4 and this bike comes close in that regard. Jury still out on the fairing.

There is a full page (both pages in the center) magazine ad by Indian that's also pretty good. Riders on Indians going past a group of riders unloading the other V Twin brand from trailers. Don't remember the caption but it was in either Motor Trend or Road and Track. I'll see if I can find it.

Copy of the Ads here: http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2013/04/22/indian-motorcycle-marketing-strategy/comment-page-2/

When I saw the pics, I was not a fan, then I saw the commercial the other night. I maybe changing my opinion.

Brian, keep the Venture and ADD the Indian to the stable!!!

Guest tx2sturgis

I like this commercial since it shows the Indians and Harleys as equals, each duly respected.

But the sharp-eyed viewer will notice something. Every Harley is the same color. Monolithic black.

Now how do you suppose that Indian and its ad agency found a hundred or so of these bikes to be in this commercial?

Or maybe it was from the wizards at the CGI computer that made it happen. There is even the slight hint of a storm brewing on the horizon.

Either way the message is clear: Massive numbers of 'sheeple' are riding the HD. A few individuals will be riding the Indians.

Hey, dont shoot the messenger...and besides...I rode Harleys me-own-self!

:smile5:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nicrmr_PXkA&feature=share&list=UUzHhHE8-HYiGqLygZJWbVLw]The 2014 Indian® Chief® Reveal: August 3, 2013 - Sturgis, SD - YouTube[/ame]

I walked through the Indian tent at Sturgis the day after the unveiling. The bike didnt do it for me. I didnt like the new fairing over the old Indian front fender. My initial thought was it reminded me of the visions fairing. The led eybrows just dont go with the fender styling in my opinion. Same with the rear bags, the lids look like they are flimsy and I dont like how they look when closed.

I think Indian is real close with this bike though, a few cosmetic changes to make everything flow together better and it will be a home run. Perhaps all they need to do is figure out a better bag lid, and maybe ditch the traditional front fender keeping the Indianhead light for nostalga. But as it is, it isnt quite right...close, but not quite right.

Now the Indian Chief or whatever they call it, that is a nice bike. The leather bags and styling are old school Indian all the way

I didnt talk to any reps about the engine etc. I just couldnt get past the fairing. I'm sure they ride nice.

• 2 weeks later...