IGNORED

Bought my RSV last night

jaxbb3

Thanks for all the welcomes, invites, offers of help and advice. Oh and thanks for the 'warnings' as well!:322: Right now I am not scheduled to teach on the 31st so unless one of the coaches currently on the schedule for that weekend has to bail, I will try to make the meet.

I have never owned a large heavy touring MC but I just turned 62 and am looking at retirement in the next 3-4 yrs and a MC trip is on my bucket list. As I said I own a 98 Shadow VT1100T and for how I ride it is great. I bought the RSV to see if I like the heavier bike, can handle the weight (3 back surgeries) and if I can get comfortable. My plan right now is to ride the RSV for about 6 months then decide which bike to keep. Looking forward to sharing info and also meeting some of you.

Ok so now that I got you here, a question (confession - did not look this up on forum before asking). I saw that some people added a cd changer to thier bikes. What is available, how much of a job to add, in the saddlebag or tour pak, average price? Thanks in advance.

Bill

" I've read dozens of books about heroes and crooks and I've learned much from both of thier styles"

The CD changer is a clarion unit and was/is a factory option. It is a plug and play option and when connected the radio controller recognises it and controls it. You will need the CD changer and the cable to make it work. It wasn't all that popular and they didn't sell well so a couple of years ago they made it standard equipment on all models. They normally go in the saddlebag and in reality are a space waster. Even us old geezers have gone MP3 which you can plug into the auxillary jack or install a simple 1 to 2 headphone splitter inside the fairing so you don't have to drive around with the cassette door open...:680:

On you CB issue. Before I went off the deep end and tell you to swap antenna sides, you said the trunk had been repaired. So there may be a possibility maybe that somehow the CB box under the trunk got the cable swapped around? There was just a thred here a few days back in the GPS/audio section and it told what the cable looked like and how was routed. I would make sure the correct cable is connected.

Also welcome to the house.

My 09 has the CD changer. I have to say if you dont have one its not a big deal. I wouldnt spend the money on it. I split the fairing and installed an Ed-sets bluetooth cable (for GPS) and added and aux input at the same time. I use my phone for pandora most of the time but can play the MP3 player also.

I have the CD player, someone donated it to me right after I got the bike in 07, had to go out and research the cable, found one on Ebay I think for about $30.00. I installed mine in the trunk right up on the forward bulkhead, secured it with an aluminum strap I made and put the pockets from the trunk around it. I can still put two half helmets in the trunk if I want. To install the cable you need to split the fairing, remove the tank and both seats. It is a little tricky weaving the harness thru the frame and what not, but not a bad job.

I have the CD player, someone donated it to me right after I got the bike in 07, had to go out and research the cable, found one on Ebay I think for about $30.00. I installed mine in the trunk right up on the forward bulkhead, secured it with an aluminum strap I made and put the pockets from the trunk around it. I can still put two half helmets in the trunk if I want. To install the cable you need to split the fairing, remove the tank and both seats. It is a little tricky weaving the harness thru the frame and what not, but not a bad job.

Like Steve, I have one also that came with the bike. Funny thing is, I LIKE IT!! I also have an aux. cable from the fairing to also use for mp3 player, so I get best of both worlds there. Steve did do a great job securing it in his trunk. Mine sits in place on the L saddle bag and I just put my rain gear, cycle pump, fuses and such in there. I use the trunk more than the L saddlebag. I would recommend seeing about asking Steve up on his offer to tinker. The man is, nice, smart, friendly, knowledgable, and lives CLOSE TO YOU !!!!?

Edited by Barrycuda

Welcome and Congrats on your new toy. I have a 99 Venture also. Joined 5 yrs ago and have made may friends on this site. Pay the $12 and become a full member. You will get that back many many times over from the info and assistance you get from this site. First look under "meet n greets" to see if there is one coming up in your area or perhaps a "maintenance day" Go to the "meet and greet" and get to know others in your area that share the same love or riding a new toy. Get involved and you will find that there is not a better group of members anywhere. Any member will help answer questions and many will actually assist you when you need it. We will tell you and show you how to do almost anything you need for your ride to remain in good working shape. I was on a trip from Texas to the "Dragon" when someone walked over and told me to take a look at my rear tire. It turns out the last 2k miles I had rode before getting there had taken its toll. This member sold me a tire he had at his house and even installed it so I could continue my ride to Virginia. Locally, we have a maintenance day where members teach each other and assist each other with everyting related to the bike carb tunes,valve adj,clutch chanes/upgrades add ons etc.

There is really not a better group anywhere. Ther is also a VR assistance list so if your on along trip and need assistance there is likely someone there to assist.

Again, welcome and we hope you enjoy your ride!!!!!!

James:hurts:

First off, :welcome1: to the asulum!!! :cool10:

You say the trunk has been repaired, If so, I would hope who ever did it installed the reinforcement rubber and plates. If all you have is large round washers holding the trunk on, it WILL fail again. That was ONE of the short comings on the 99s.

Good to have you with us Bill, this is an interesting place for sure with some awesome folks. As mentioned, if you have questions feel free to ask. There is also a search bar up top, click on it to find related threads on questions you might have. There is a ton of information on the site and you could go through the site for days getting great info.

If your interested in a CD player, I have one for the bike. Send me your address and I'll send it off to you. It works well for you we'll figure out a price, I need to get it gone regardless. Enjoy your new ride.