IGNORED

50psi in Metz 880 150/90b 15 ???

VentureFar

I am at the tire shop that I always use and refer:

MC tire in LA area and they are mounting my new rubber for Sturgis.

The rear Metz 880 150/90b 15 and they put 50psi in it.

Says right in the side wall max 50. Very experienced shop said if you run 38 like smaller Metz tires (below 148) you will burn right through the tread

Is this what you do?

VentureFar...

Run between 46 and 48 and you should be fine, Metzlers do have a history of throwing chunks of tread off when they are on Ventures, Metzler always blames under inflation as the problem.

I ran a set at those pressures for about 15,000 miles with no problems.

I just tried to check the fitment guide on their website, and they must be having problems, because it keeps showing "NO RESULTS FOUND" on almost every page I check.

Metzeler used to publish recommendations on inflation. The data seems to have been removed from their site as of now.

So long as you do not exceed the maximum pressure on the side wall the tire will be safe. The question is what is the best pressure for you.

A number of years ago I was at a presentation from an Avon rep. He said ALL premium tires (Avon, Metzeler, Pirelli were named) should be run at higher inflation pressures. He said that on those tires you should use the tire manufacturer's recommendation rather than the bike manufacturers.

A few years ago I was in an independent shop that services Harleys, and noticed that their rack was full of ME880s. I asked the owner if they were having trouble with tread separation like the Venture tends to exhibit. His answer was "Not if they leave them at 50PSI like we tell them".

If you're riding solo and not a large guy 50 might be excessive. If you're riding 2 up with the bags crammed full I suspect you'll be better off near the 50 they set it at.

Dealer is right. Ran two set's myself. Had two chunks come off one tire and talked to Metzler a number of times. If you run one up you want 45psi or more and 50psi two up. I think they are good tires. Good luck

This is all good to know. I thought Avon Venons ere the only ones that had a side wall MAX of 50psi. Basically to get rid of side wall flex and reduce cracking problems. Now I find the Metzlers also have a high psi. Probably for the same reason. Side wall flexing will cause heat build up and cap seperation and throw chucks. Keep 'm stiff and it should no longer be a problem. My '07 came with fairly new Metzlers, and from all the horror stories that have been floating around, I had planned on getting it re-shod with E3's before the next long trip. Now I think I'll just make sure the pressures are up to max and go for it.

I know others have said they keep there's slightly lower, but I'm not sure why?? The difference between a 300# rider and 150# rider is insignificant when considering the weight of the entire bike with goodies stashed everwhere, plus fuel and oil. If they are looking for a more comfortable ride, you do that with suspension.....

Dealer is right. Ran two set's myself. Had two chunks come off one tire and talked to Metzler a number of times. If you run one up you want 45psi or more and 50psi two up. I think they are good tires. Good luck

Anyone seen a Metzeler front chunk out on them? Not me.

I've had great service and great mileage out of my three sets of Metz. Ran 17,000 on my first set at 41 rear. No probs.

Although, on my second set, running 38 in the rear (why did I go to a lower psi? Dunno. senior moment I guess) and riding mostly interstate and one-up for 15,000 miles, my rear tire tread did crack up when I was breaking the bead to change it out.

I run 42 rear and 41 front now. Thanks for all the great info you guys post.

I am at the tire shop that I always use and refer:

MC tire in LA area and they are mounting my new rubber for Sturgis.

The rear Metz 880 150/90b 15 and they put 50psi in it.

Says right in the side wall max 50. Very experienced shop said if you run 38 like smaller Metz tires (below 148) you will burn right through the tread

Is this what you do?

VentureFar...

I use 36 in the front & 41 in the rear per the suggested psi on the bike............:whistling:

I have a front Metz and no issues, I HAD a Metz on back and it chunked and will never (personal preference) use them again. I am currently running an E3 on the back and love it.

I'm the opposite no more E3's for me. I've always had great service out of the Metzeler, always ran max psi. Currently on all my bikes except the venture, running Michelin on it. They were out of stock had to have a tire and Michelin was all they had, no problems with it so far. :stirthepot:

I use 36 in the front & 41 in the rear per the suggested psi on the bike............:whistling:

The vehicle manufacturer always specifies the recommended tire pressure for the tire that the vehicle is equipped with from the factory.

Change to another tire and you should follow the TIRE manufacturer's recommendation for that tire, not the vehicle manufacturer's recommendation for the tire that came with the vehicle.

The vehicle manufacturer always specifies the recommended tire pressure for the tire that the vehicle is equipped with from the factory.

Change to another tire and you should follow the TIRE manufacturer's recommendation for that tire, not the vehicle manufacturer's recommendation for the tire that came with the vehicle.

AMEN!

fyi my front is the new ME888 and the tire pressure for that is 38. So I will be 38 in front and 50 in rear. I was solo riding home about 10 miles on the freeway and it was smooth as silk. Sure wish I could afford new tires everytime they reached 1/2. What a pleasure.

VentureFar...

Prairiehammer is 100% correct.

But, ...the bike had Bridgestones or Dunlop 404's on from the factory, you should be using the pressures that the tire manufacturer recommends, if youre running Metz'z now, I think you should be running their specs to get best performance.

Brian