IGNORED

What did I do that for????

Yammer Dan

Tomorrow morning will be a big gut-check for me. First day of being a tobacco free Instituation. Word is convicts are going to take our place. Some idiot grabbed the spot where he will be facing about 400 to 600 convicts be theirself for a few minutes til we see how things are going to roll. Could have stayed in Control but couldn't let those young studs grab that spot. Reason this is here is this one of those time my pride or whatever it is has gotten me into a spot that could be interesting. I talk to "The Man" every day I work and have since I volunteered foir this spot. Young-uns are kind of ticked that I grabbed. Reason this is here is if you think of me from about 4:30 monday morning til about 7:30 send up a word for me. I know I didn't explain this very well but got to get in bed to be ready. Didn't know I was going to open my big mouth. Maybe I'll learn one of these days. Will let you know as soon as I get home tomorrow what happened.

Only 600 of them. Wonder how many I can get before back-up gets there???

Didn't know I was going to open my big mouth. Maybe I'll learn one of these days. Will let you know as soon as I get home tomorrow what happened.

Only 600 of them. Wonder how many I can get before back-up gets there???

Doubt, that you will ever learn, to keep that trap shut.

But :080402gudl_prv:, hope all goes well.

When I was in Level V pen, as a shift supervisor, I'd have had the yard-crew [ERT], plus a good 'squad' dressed-out & ready at the arsenal.

You wouldn't have been at the beach in the first place, if you were worried about the water.

Doesn't mean you're sane, though.

Definately a job for an expeienced guy.

I would expect a lot of whining/wolfing....when addressed correctly.

They already know the score, so problems should be delayed long enough.

Not likely to go real well in the long run, though.

There's always the option of a 5 day lockdown, if necessary.

Leniency should be exercized for a while; until metabolisms stabilize a bit.

Crackin' the whip too hard & too quick, will cause serious problems.

It's a tough one [much pain involved], but I've seen it done successfully.

Nicotine is the absolute worst addiction. I had it bad for 40 years. Now I'm starting my third 'smoke-free' year. [i did cold-turkey] Ouch!

The first day is certainly the easiest, so no huge concern for Monday.

I'd be much more concerned about Tuesday on.

You don't seem too worried, anyway.

Well Dan...I will be thinking of you for sure and understand what you are facing.

A word on smoke free...we are and have been for about 5 years now. We really anticipated some trouble but it never came. We did have things in gear ("yard crew") and we also supplied nicorette for the first few months. We still do that to any new prisoner that is not from another institution and is going to be staying with us. We supply...actually they buy it and can for 1 month then thats it.

We didnt have any problem whatsoever. That first hour should not be so bad....I dont get goofy until I am without for about a day or so...then I turn into a bear.

Take care tomorrow though, back to the wall and near an exit if you know what I mean.

Personally, at my age...let the young ones have the glory of the battle...I've had enough. It was hard to do that as a supervisor...kept getting my knuckles slapped because I was getting involved physically..."You can't supervise properly if you have your knee on someones neck!" the boss says!

I smoked Marlboro regular for longer than I can remember prior to Feb. 2007. Did a pack or so a day. Started out with Camels and Lucky's in the early '60s so it's been a while. Sometimes being stubborn and stupid will cost ya. The last couple of years, every winter it seems I would get a chest cold and be pretty screwed up breathing-wise for at least a couple of weeks to a month. Well, I have COPD (didn't know that at the time), and I got a little scratchy throat on the weekend of course. Just like that, it was in my chest and I literally could not breathe, even if all I did was get up out of the chair and try to walk to the bathroom. Tried to lay down ...couldn't breathe; couldn't do anything if I wanted to breathe at the same time.

I'll be brutally honest with you. It scared the hell out of me. I had many discussions with " The Big Guy" over the course of a day and a half. I "bargained" with God; I told Him, If He could see His way clear to cut me some slack, I would quit smoking and never go back. I told my wife "If I lived (I wasn't entirely sure I would), I was done with cigarettes". I went in to the doctor and they juiced me up with steroids and antibiotics & who knows what else...

Well, I recovered, though my breathing still suffers a bit. A small price to pay under the circumstances. But the point of the story is that all that took place in February 2007. February 2, 2007 to be exact......I just passed one year tobacco free, this month. Cold turkey. I could smoke one as big as a broom stick right now, but for the promise I made to the two people, central to my existence. I just don't have it in me to break it. That, and I have a vivid recollection of 2/2/2007.

autopilot

I know: a lot of wind for a simple story! But, there was a lot of drama (at least for me). Can't help it...Sorry! I'll work on it!

Ya know what...as long as you have treated them with respect and not been as ass....you might have people on your side you dont even know about. As long as you as a Co remember that you are just there as a job....its not your life, like the inamtes. Remember that you get to go home every night, the inmates ARE home. Try to push your weight...you wil get stuck, you know that. Like we used to say..."act like a man, get treated like a man"

Guess which side of the door I was on LOL......AB

Kind of embarassing. Little noise and nothing!! Kind of a relief too. It can't be over but we are ready!! All I really hear this morning was a couple of "what are you doing out here?" I just told them "Beating the state out of a paycheck!!" Really though they were going to do something this time. Been thru a LOT worse. Might be getting time to retire.

Glad to hear things went fairly well, Dan!

Pitbull...I've been telling those words to our new staff for years! No matter what, be fair and consistant and remember that we are always outnumbered. Nope, that doesnt mean be a wuss, they dont like that either!

Most of the inmates know we have a job to do....the crazies....well, what are ya gonna do about them.

It seems we have some members experienced in this area & know what they're talking about.

You guys have all heard what a retired CO is qualified to do...........

It seems we have some members experienced in this area & know what they're talking about.

You guys have all heard what a retired CO is qualified to do...........

Lol...nope, but I gotta hear this one!:)

I've pl;ayed this game for a long time. A little embarassed that I read more into this one than there was but maybe not. They have windows that can see our parking lots and the extra traffic and who the extra traffic was I'm sure was widely known. WE WERE READY. I am as firm a officer as we have when needed. This is probally not over might get interesting yet. Me being on the yard when I was gets a little attention too. Not my normal spot now though it was for a few years and they know what to expect from me there.

Marilyn works the units. She is well respected by the inmates for her "tough" no nonsense but very fair style. When she was out for her knee injury, many inmates would ask her when she was coming back to the floor. They have told her...you are tough, but reasonable and know and do your job. The staff she works with either cringe when she's on or look forward to a supervisor that is not afraid to make a descision or help when required.

I am one rank higher than her and run my shift so I dont have as much interaction anymore...but I still work the same way she does.

All this aside.....Dan...we are glad that your day was successful and you are home safe!

It is a tough job we do...our police friends just say they are glad its not them and all they have to do is catch em and let us do the rest!

Dan

To be honest I'm mot sure of whats going on here!

But I do know this, Never back down on your convictions! Ever! :no-no-no: When you know what you are doing is RIGHT, stick to it and make it happen!:080402gudl_prv:

I've enjoyed getting to know you a little in VRChat. :mugshot: Catch you next time.

Gene