IGNORED

Gunboats Funeral

Squidley

Will you be making Gunboats Funeral?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be making Gunboats Funeral?

• Yes, I will be there
    • Yes, Myself and 1 guest
    • Yes, Myself and 2 guests
    • Yes, Myself and 3 guests

Ok Folks,

I finally have the information on Don's funeral arrangements. The date will be Saturday July 13th, this is due to next weekend being the 4th of July and Cathy didn't want to have to try and compete with that.

There is no funeral home viewing, Don was cremated 48 hours after his passing and it takes about a week to get the remains back. Instead we are going to celebrate his life at the VFW post # 1839 in Cleveland Texas, I'll leave the addy at the bottom of this post. This is going to be a dish to pass deal. What we would like to ask of those attending, if you could make a specialty dish your known for, or something that you knew Don liked, that you please bring it with you. We'll handle a main meat dish like chicken or such, but all the fixins would be great to have.

This VFW post is a cash bar, there is no outside drinks of any kind allowed, that includes sodas and soft drinks. This is the policy of this VFW post, and it would be appreciated if we can follow that rule. They gave us the hall for free due to Don being a veteran and Lonna and I paying for the hall for Heathers wedding in November. I think we can help support them with the drink thing.

This is a very casual affair, if you want to get all dressed up, thats cool, but if you want to show in your jeans and riding vest that would be even better, that is how I'm going to show up as thats who Don was.

In lieu of flowers being sent, it is asked that if you want to send something, that it be sent to The Wounded Warrior Project https://support.woundedwarriorproject.org/Default.aspx?tsid=167&campaignSource=CDRO&source=B100108

We will have the hall from 12:00 Noon to 4:00 pm. This will all be played off the hip, there isn't going to be a "Service" per say. I will be giving a eulogy and will more than likely draw upon some of us and family for memories of Don.

Although this is a sad occasion to have to get together for, this will also be a blessing to share time together and celebrate Don's life and how he touched all of us. If you have any questions please feel free to ask them here in this thread or PM me directly. Looking forward to seeing y'all.

VFW Hall # 1839

18 CR 396

Cleveland Texas 77328

I wanted to mention also that if you or your SO are going to make a dish, that you get ahold of Lonna. Her email is mrsweldman66@yahoo.com or PM her here Sweetnothing so she can know what will have to be covered. I'll put a poll up top so we can get an idea of how many folks from the site will be coming and how much food we'll have to provide for....Thanks.

Brad i dont know if i can make it yet my decision will be last minute and i wont be able to bring a dish if i come as i will be on the bike traveling 332 mi. weather will play alot on this as well but i will try my best to be there

Brad i dont know if i can make it yet my decision will be last minute and i wont be able to bring a dish if i come as i will be on the bike traveling 332 mi. weather will play alot on this as well but i will try my best to be there

Paul,

I would love for you to come over, but I do know how tight it is for you. If you do make it we have a place for you to crash regardless. Let me know if I can help you with anything.

Hal, I can can ride over and meet ya`ll there on Friday to give ya`ll a hand with anything, let me know what time your going and I`ll hook up with you.

We will be there to cook Brisquit & Im bringing chicken on our pit on Friday. Let us know Brad if you need us to bring anything else up.

See you Friday.

Hal n Val :cool10::322:

Ok Folks,

The poll closed and it appears that we have roughly a dozen of us from the site going. hal will be our chef as Cathy (Don's Girlfriend) asked if he would smoke some brisket and such, which he agreed to do. If anyone that was thinking about coming could get with Lonna (Sweetnothing) and was going bring something, please let her know. Thanks again for all the support...

I haven't been on here much over the last couple of years. I was shocked and saddened by the news of Gunboat's passing. A great guy. Best wishes to his friends and family. I would love to be there, but now live in Vegas.

Well, I AM going to make this, just not on the bike. ABC Houston has the predicted temp for tomorrow at 100* which would put the heat index in the 110*'s probably. End result is I'll be caging it. I won't ride a bike when it's that hot. If I was dumb enough to ride without gear, I could probably do it but I'm not that crazy.

I'll see you all tomorrow!

Blessings to all of you today.

It's good to remember those who go before and to call up the impact that they had on the lives of those around them. We will remember the good things that were said and done, but seem to have a difficulty recalling the less than desirable times in their lives. This is good, for we can learn to live better from the examples of others,, and a lot can be learned from the way Gunboat lived. Enjoy the day folks, celebrate, for he would have had it no other way. Where he is now, there are no more tears, no pain, no broken down scooters, no hunger, no government that needs complaining about, no thirst, no soldiers, no laws to break,,,,, hey! it's heaven!!! it's where he wanted to go.

I wish that each one of us will be able to join him in the everlasting peace, which will only happen if you join the assembly that he belonged to. He would love to see us all there as well someday.

Hi my screen name was Halmost There, but now my screen name is Santa Hal.

Today I attended the party to celebrate Dons life. Squid did an excellent job on giving the eulogy it was great. It was a great turn out. A lot of the Houston Crew and family was there. Had great food and plenty of it. Don we will miss you and think of you every time the Houston Crew go out riding.

Santa Hal

Edited by Santa Hal
and family

With a heavy heart, we said goodbye to Gunboat yesterday. Some parts sad, but many parts joyous. Had a good showing of people, I didn't get a head count, but I'd say somewhere between 75 and 100 folks. About 25 of the VRO group were able to make it, and many more I know that wanted to, but just couldn't swing it. Some very nice appearances like Ponch and Cathy attended and it was great to be able to chat with them a bit.

I wasn't as much a wreck as I thought I was going to be, the eulogy went well as I only cracked 2 or 3 times, I was a lot worse Friday reading it to Lonna and Heather. I also want to thank Dana Braquet (Sgt. Maj.) for helping me. I needed a rock to draw from, and he was there just like I knew he would be. He lead the prayer before we ate, and as always was very eloquent with how he speaks ( I want to be just like him when I grow up :))

Thank you to all that made a dish, there was TONS of food and all of it was fantastic. Santa Hal rocked the smoker (what a balls out deal that is) and he's as good a cook as he is Santa. It was great being able to spend time with y'all and Don's family. I know that Cathy, Don's girlfriend, was pleased with how it went. There were even a few surprises that I didn't know about until Lonna and Heather sprang it on a few of us. I ended up getting one of Don's Navy hats, actually the ship he served on, The USS Harlan County LST 1196 of which he was a plank owner, I was very happy with that. I will do some embroidering of my own (without the help of Kregerdoodle) and have Gunboat put on the back of it.

There was a changing of the guard as well, the official Blue Bell Ice Cream cooler was presented to our one and only Kregerdoodle. Kreg is now the Official Houston Crew's Blue Bell Ice Cream guy. This is a great responsibility and if he neglects his duties he will be beaten severely with wet noodles (that sounds like fun!)

Monkey Boy (Dave Pankow) was also very close with Don. Gunboat won a beautiful quilt last year at the international up in New York. Cathy (Don's girlfriend) wanted Dave to have this and it was presented as well, along with a few tears :)

A good day all in all, sad circumstances, but a celebration of a life that touched so many others. Thank you all for sharing your day with us, the folks that drove many miles to be in Cleveland Texas. There were pictures taken and we'll work at getting some of them up on the site.