IGNORED

How long should this take?

What ever it is I will double it at least!

I want to take the back wheel off my 88 and do a complete lube of everything behind the engine.

I haven't looked yet but I'm hoping there is a procedure in the library.

A lot depends on if you have a lift, and id the bike has a lot of addons that might be in the way.

But 3 hours is reasonable if you have never had the wheel off. 1.5 hours once you know where you are going.

Even though you can do it taking off only one muffler, to me it is far faster and easier to take them both off.

if you have a tie down ratchet strap put it on the center stand ,, ratchet strap the center stand pull front wheel let the bikedown on the forks ,, pull rear

in a hurry 1 hour

rear is so high no need to pull any plastic

put forks on a soft cloth

What ever it is I will double it at least!

I want to take the back wheel off my 88 and do a complete lube of everything behind the engine.

I haven't looked yet but I'm hoping there is a procedure in the library.

Let us know if you find a procedure.

Did you include BEER into the time factor???:beersign: The length of a DIY job in the garage/driveway on a hot summers day is extended exponentially by the number of beers consumed while doing said job. So think about all other 3 hour jobs you have done that lasted 8-10-12 hours due to the BEER factor. Add one hour for each beer consumed. :whistling: Remember Trader I have spent a few days up in your neck of the woods and other then fix something or kill something, hunting, there's not much else in your neck of the woods to do. At least that's legal anyway.:depressed:

:mytruck1:

Now while you're down there anyways,,,,,,,, are you ging to lube the swing arm and wishbone? Add another 5 hours, some for work, some for beer, and while you're laying down anyways, might as well work in that nap that's been nagging to get done.

I wish I had known you had this work to do a week ago!!! I was in Trenton(Frankford) visiting my son and family. I could have come up and helped you drink beer.......I mean work on the bike!:whistling: And BBQ steaks!!

Sure!

NOW you tell me.

ANYTIME any of you folks are are up this way give me a call.

My number is in my profile.

If it's not a good time for a visit, I'll tell you. Don't mean I don't like you!

But a coffee (or maybe even a beer) is always a possibility!

Sigh.....you all USED to be so helpful.

so far I have no procedure...and no parts needed list but I got a shoulda, woulda, coulda......several comments on beer.... taking a nap.....and now band aids.

Oh yeah....a helpful comment on tying the bike down and some comments on the amount of time it should take...which I guess was the original question....sort of!

PLUS a TEST!!!!!:bang head:

All in all just another day @VR.org!

Hey just trying to be helpful!:rotf: You know covering all possibilities.:whistling: After all we're all here to help and we also have too much time on our hands. You need to move closer to the rest of us is the SW part of Ontario.:happy34:

Hoping for some sun or carb parts to show up so I'll have something to do. I don't know like getting my carb rebuild done or at the least getting the XJ out and tearing up some pavement over to Pt. Dover for a footlong hotdog and a golden glow or down to Long Point to Utterly Kool for some ICECREAM!:thumbsup2:

Here the article on installing the grease zerks on the a-arm.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1057

It is worth the time and trouble to do these and be aware the 88 VR has a different a-arm setup then the 83-87 Ventures do. The shock has its own mounting point. I would also lube the drive shaft spines at the u-joint connection by the engine. Time wise is a hard one to call as it depends if any of these parts had been lube in the past. If not there could be issues. I know when I did mine the first time after getting it, the a-arm wasnt moving freely and I had to replace the plastic bushing in a few places.

Good Luck..

Rick F.

it cant hurt to replace the cotter pin, depends on the shape of it. You will need grease for the spines and joints, and gear lube if you drain the differential and replace its lube.

if you install the grease zerks, you till need 5 of them and of course a drill and tab.

Hope that helps.

Rick F.

I found this but there's no pictures! LOL

I'm thinking there must be more somewhere!

I can read something a dozen times and sometimes it still doesn't sink in

There's your problem right there....if you read a dozen times, you got too much to remember.:no-no-no:

Just read once and you will remember.:thumbsup2:

:beer: