IGNORED

95% of all Harleys ever built are still on the road today...

WCody

It was a long time ago a friends young son had been wanting to get a motorcycle. A Harley to be exact. Bugged his dad, his mom, his uncles, (none of them pro bike) and then me.

Sure, I'll do what I can for ya..... not expecting a lot of support from his family.

When his birthday rolled around he got a package from me. Inside was a HD (maybe, it had a HD logo) mirror with my note.

"Here's the first piece. I found it on Highway 30 Eastbound side outside of Carroll. I saw a few more pieces between there and Cedar Rapids. Drive slow and keep your eyes open."

I didn't get a lot of love from the kid but I still get along great with the rest his family.

Knowing this thread was posted only as a joke, (one I do find funny myself) I have to say this in all fairness.

I have seen every type of bike loose a part here and there. We all have seen it, heard it and most of us lived it..

My venture (and most all ventures) are known to loose bolts from the rear fender and the shifter screw falls out. Chrome piece on rear of front fender screws also came out and lost them ont he road.. All this has happened on my Venture. However, Yamaha makes a great Venture and if they change their ways I might even go back to one.

I have had parts fall off all my bikes. My Honda 350, 450 750 and Kaw 900z1.. but not YET has anything fallen off my GW. Not saying it wont.

I think the joke is still funny....it made me grin again...in fact, I have said those same words myself.

I do feel Harley builds a great bike and they are much better now than what they were back in the 50s.

I've even been pondering with the idea if I want one..:think::confused24:

I have had parts fall off all my bikes. My Honda 350, 450 750 and Kaw 900z1.. but not YET has anything fallen off my GW. Not saying it wont.

Short of dirt bikes that I've broken parts off of,....I can't remember EVER having parts fall off of any of my bikes.

Sounds like you need to start using Loc Tite to keep the loosey goosey at bay.:cool10:

all of my cousins and my best bud all drive harleys, so i take a thrashing every time we go for a ride.

the funniest story i have about something falling off a harley, is when we stopped for gas one time. when we headed out, my cousin forgot to wait for his wife to get on the back and away he went. we had to go chase him to come back. i still bug him about losing things off his Harley.

Guest tx2sturgis

So a 'trial member' baits the forum, and yall took it.

Ok...I will too, here we go....true or not, who knows....

From the DMV.org website:

"BMW is extremely proud of the fact that the company's motorcycles have a reputation for durability. In fact, 50% of all the motorcycles BMW has ever manufactured are still on the road today. If you're interested in learning more about how BMW accomplished this amazing feat of engineering, you can check out the company history on the BMW website."

Seriously?

Fifty percent?

Doesnt seem like bragging rights are earned at that number.

Actually, other than bikes in museums and private collections, I would be willing to bet that the percentage is actually much higher for Harley. Loyal owners tend to keep them running, whatever it costs.

There are still lots of 60's, 70's and 80's Harleys running around...you NEVER see them in motorcycle 'bone yards' or salvage lots. Cant say that with the Japanese bikes...I know of several places where the older Japanese bikes are laying around in rusty piles of scrap.

Hey dont shoot the messenger!

:moon:

Hi all,

Glad you liked the joke. Not trying to bait anyone. It's just one of the few motorcycle jokes that I know.

I generally use that joke to break up the monotony during my MSF classes. LOL

I've mostly owned Hondas (ST1100, ST1300, Goldwing, SL 90, Trail 90's) but, I have also owned a Yamaha TW200 a Suzuki Hayabusa, and a Rokon.

The only parts that I have lost off of any of those bikes was a front fender (while riding over a very rough, dirt/gravel road) and myself (when I went down). ;-)

I almost bought a 95th Anniversary Road King Classic when they came out but, I decided that it just didn't fit the kind of riding that I wanted to do then. Now, I'm more mellow and might enjoy that type of bike more.

But, I do have friends who ride Harleys and they have mentioned losing parts. My best friend from High School owns a Road King. He's a motor-head and enjoys rebuilding engines and adding high performance parts. For him, a Harley is the perfect bike to tinker with. However, I do tease him that his bike will never be able to keep up with mine in the twisties. :whistling:

Funny story about my ST1300. I bought it used several years back. Once I started taking things apart to modify the farkles, I discovered that the previous owner had put Loc-Tite on literally EVERYTHING... even on the bolts holding the plastic windshield to the windshield brackets (the owner's manual specifically states NOT to do that as it will eat the plastic washers and the plastic windshield). I grumbled a little and went about removing all the Loc-Tite that I could find.

I figured that the previous owner must have been an ex-Harley rider.

:rotf: :stirthepot:

As for BMW's, they used to be very reliable until those arrogant Germans came out with the self-exploding Final drive rear-end. I quite counting how many of my friends had theirs go out, spilling final drive fluid all over. I don't trust them anymore. Although, I have to admit that their new K1600 GTL is a sweet ride. Test rode one about a year or so ago. Nice! Decided to wait and see how its rear end held out. So far, I haven't heard of any failing.

Regards,

Bill

Be glad you don't have to sit through my MSF classes. I re-use all these old jokes in each one.

:whistling:

I heard this joke right after buying my first Harley back in 1976. Get original will ya!

OK, yesterday, run from Spokane, to Sea. We stopped at Chevron , in Moses Lake, Wa.

Lots of bikes stopped for fuel and eats. Group of 4 harleys, and group of 4 BMW's, myself and my friend.

Anyway, these 4 Harley's all had " Mo. " plates on them.

They had No Mufflers,

They had No Windshields,

They had No Saddle bags,

They had No Trunks !---

The riders were all dressed " Typlically " Ahmmmm

It was Pouring Rain !!!!!

They were on a " Long Trip " !!!!

All the extra luggage was Strapped onto to the rear of bikes with Bungee Straps!!!

They were all four in the process of Refueling, and """ RE-Strapping, """ all of their traveling gear onto the back of the bikes !!

My friend Rich and I were quietly Chuckling to each other as we fueled up, and congradulating ourselves for having Trunks, and Saddle bags on our bikes.

I made it a point to park next to them after re-fueling, needless to say I got a few dirty looks !! Oh Well, the coffee was pretty good. Richard and I were laughing pretty hard as we drove off, as the Re-Strapping process was still being worked on !!

I swear, I never have seen such a mess strapped to the back of 4 Harley's !!!

But!!! They were Dressed, " Perfectly " for the " Part " they were playing !!!!

And, the bikes, were " SO Loud " !!!

Thank the Lord, for " Bungee Straps" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Edited by GeorgeS

OK, yesterday, run from Spokan, to Sea. We stopped at Chevron , in Moses Lake, Wa.

Lots of bikes stopped for fuel and eats. Group of 4 harleys, and group of 4 BMW's, myself and my friend.

Anyway, these 4 Harley's all had " Mo. " plates on them.

They had No Mufflers,

They had No Windshields,

They had No Saddle bags,

They had No Trunks !---

The riders were all dressed " Typlically " Ahmmmm

It was Pouring Rain !!!!!

They were on a " Long Trip " !!!!

All the extra luggage was Strapped onto to the rear of bikes with Bungee Straps!!!

They were all four in the process of Refueling, and """ RE-Strapping, """ all of their traveling gear onto the back of the bikes !!

My friend Rich and I were quietly Chuckling to each other as we fueled up, and congradulating ourselves for having Trunks, and Saddle bags on our bikes.

I made it a point to park next to them after re-fueling, needless to say I got a few dirty looks !! Oh Well, the coffee was pretty good. Richard and I were laughing pretty hard as we drove off, as the Re-Strapping process was still being worked on !!

I swear, I never have seen such a mess strapped to the back of 4 Harley's !!!

But!!! They were Dressed, " Perfectly " for the " Part " they were playing !!!!

And, the bikes, were " SO Loud " !!!

Thank the Lord, for " Bungee Straps" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :whistling: :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Never Mind I don't think this deserves a reply.

all of my cousins and my best bud all drive harleys, so i take a thrashing every time we go for a ride.

the funniest story i have about something falling off a harley, is when we stopped for gas one time. when we headed out, my cousin forgot to wait for his wife to get on the back and away he went. we had to go chase him to come back. i still bug him about losing things off his Harley.

WAS HIS NAME GEORGE???:think::think::think::rotfl::rotfl:

Yes, that's where I leave my parts, body parts at a stop sign because a Harley idles so rough, you feel like your on an exercise machine at a gym. so what a Harley does reminds me of my job. It's the only job where you get paid for sleeping; with a Harley, it's the only bike where you lose weight by not going to a gym. :rotf::rotf::rotf:

THE JAP BIKES ARE THERE BECAUSE THEY WERE RODE INTO THE GROUND AND IT WAS CHEAPER TO GO AND BUY A NEW ONE !!! LOL!!

HOW'S THAT FOR ORGINAL!! LOL!!

I had a 70 Yamaha xs 650 chopper with Harley rear tire, ridged frame, and 16" over springer frontend and I had parts coming off a lot!! rent-a-cop flashing his light at me one night, pulled over and he asked why I didn't have a tag on the bike, looked at back and sure enough, NO TAG!! seat bolts would come out of sissy bar of my king-queen seat and start scrubbing on back tire, had just half fender to help hold up seat. had rectangual fog light for head lights, would slowly go down till they lite up front tire nicely. several times had to tighten up handle bar clamps, calf. W bars looked like drag bar!! LOL!! never had heard of thread-lock!! LOL!!

the worst thing that happened was, I changed the front tire and couldn't find cotter pin to put back in castle nut, but went ahead and rode to meet my friends to do some drag raciing, nut come off , axle bolt backed out, rocker arm fell into spokes, cutting all but 9 spokes, bikes tried to fall over to left but I was able to keep it up till I got it stopped on side of road. really lucky that day to survive, but did jam my left knee up when I put it down on road while snatching the bike back up to keep from going down. won't do that again!! LOL!!

So, you're saying your classes were very boring and people were falling asleep, huh? :rotf:

Well, our outfit tries to make the class fun and stimulating because we feel if people want to participate and are having fun, it helps them learn.

But teach your classes however you want to. :moon:

I'd walk out and ask for a refund cause when I was a MSF instructor, I/we didn't waste time on jokes.

Guest tx2sturgis
Be glad you don't have to sit through my MSF classes. I re-use all these old jokes in each one.

:whistling:

I agree with you on one thing: I'm glad I dont have to sit through your classes.

LOL...you guys are HARD. I took my beginners course in Dallas years ago and really enjoyed it. The instructor was indeed humorous and I enjoyed the jokes and etc. He was also very good and did a great job covering the material.

Same thing with a defensive driving course that I took once. The humor made it more fun and helped to keep your attention on what was being said.