IGNORED

4 brush starter now starter solenoid problem

i installed a 4 brush starter motor on my 86

i tried to start the bike and the starter solenoid went kaput

replaced the starter solenoid with one from fleabay and tried to crank the bike a couple of times and the brand new solenoid went kaput.

question 1 : am i supposed to use a heavy duty solenoid instead of the original.

question 2 : now i dont have power to the wire that energizes the starter solenoid either.

bike in neutral, on centrestand and the sidestand is up, it is in the run position, but no power to signal the starter solenoid to energize.

thanks for chiming in so quick guys, :bighug:

i will jumper the sidestand switch out and retry. i have done that before and also replaced sidestand switch a few years ago. maybe time for another sidestand switch. why does it have to poop out while in the middle of doing a job. oh well

if i jumper battery to main starter hot wire the bike cranks, it is a 4 brush starter from a 2007, nice and shiny and i did test it before i installed. i will try to hunt down another stock solenoid tomorrow and try again.

i cannot even get a solenoid, they are on back order at Yamaha

now i have to find a replacement , anyone use an automotive one?

I think you should have a one control wire solenoid. Should be a blue with a white tracer.

If this is correct, you can verify the solenoid by putting bike in neutral, on center stand preferably. Turn the key to run, then with a jumper to GROUND, connect it to the terminal on the solenoid that the Blue/White wire connects to. If solenoid is functional, it should engage and crank motor.

If it doesn't, probably bad.

If it is good, then you have an issue elsewhere in the starter control circuit.

Gary

original solenoid was toast, removed from bike tested the single wire solenoid and nothing. ohm meter across main in and main out, nothing and relay not energizing, no click/clack.

new one ordered from ebay , did not work. took out of bike to bench test, it does energize , but no continuity across main in and main out.

i still have no power on the white with blue stripe wire which energizes the starter solenoid, even after jumpering out the sidestand switch. what next?

There is no power on the blue w/white stripe wire. When you hit the start button you are completing the circuit to GROUND. That's why Dingy's earlier post said to jumper to that terminal to GROUND. The big post that the battery is connected to also has an integral jumper to the other small terminal, thus the small terminal is hot all the time and the coil is only activated when the second small terminal is grounded.

• 2 months later...

okay, so when i touch the blue/white wire from starter solenoid to ground, the starter solenoid activates.

when i connect my meter from the blue/white wire from the bike starter switch to ground, i have no continuety when i push the start button. do i pull the start button apart?

i have jumpered out the sidestand switch, made sure the bike is in neutral, run switch is on and still no luck.

help please, i am going crazy

While you have the start switch apart check the wires at the switch;

Check continuity from the black wire to battery Negative.

Check for 12V from the Blue/White wire to Battery Negative.

This will test the rest of the starter wiring and the start relay.

Just throwing this out Scott.When you changed your starter did you make sure the starter gears were put in right and were not binding?Did you pull off the stator cover to do your install?Could the started be jammed ? Was there anyway to know the started was good when you bought it?:detective:

PS .If you have no solenoid luck PM me.I have one.

While you have the start switch apart check the wires at the switch;

Check continuity from the black wire to battery Negative.

Check for 12V from the Blue/White wire to Battery Negative.

This will test the rest of the starter wiring and the start relay.

thank you all for tips to look for why she no start.

touch blue white wire to ground, solenoid makes and engine cranks over but no spark. i also do not hear the fuel pump clicking on.

Dingy, thank you so much for an awesome article, i dove in and cleaned all contacts and same as yours, the start button contacts were the dirtiest. after doing this still no power to pull the starter solenoid in, did a jumper to roll the engine and still no spark.

Flyingfool, i checked and have continuity from black to battery negative.

i DO NOT have power from the Blue/white wire to ground.

where do i go hunting now?

See if circuit diagrams on attached PDF help.

Circuits are shown in 3 different configurations, see bold text at top of each one.

Only circuits involved in each configuration are shown, this makes it easier to understand.

Gary

just got off the phone with Flyingfool/Jeff and he walked me through and found my problem. he is in Milwalkee and i am in Toronto Ontario, Canada. :think:

over the phone he had me check for power at specific points and low and behold, problem is the old glass fuse holder for the ignition circuit. i now have ignition.:cool10:

i have a new fuse block that i was going to install, well i guess now i am going to be doing the install and then i can put my bike back together.:doh:

thank you so much Jeff for your knowledge and spending the time on the phone to help me to locate the problem. :thumbsup2:

cheers, Scott :beer: