IGNORED

Broken cowling bracket

Some how the bracket that holds my lower left cowling on broke. It's the one that has the screw on the backside of the cowling toward the outer edge next to the crash bar. I tried JB Weld but it did not hold. Anyone have any suggestions. It was holding up OK but I guess the vibration broke it loose. I haven't laid the bike over or brushed up against anything to cause the JB Weld to break loose but it did. I guess the vibration caused it to come loose. Any body with any ideas???? :confused24::confused24::confused24:

Moakster

Some how the bracket that holds my lower left cowling on broke.

Anyone have any suggestions.

Any body with any ideas???? :confused24::confused24::confused24:

Moakster

Moakster,

I wont take any credit for this cause I found this info on the web.

Maybe you can digest and use it…

Sounds like it will work for your application though..

Repairing Motorcycle ABS plastic:

There is a very easy repair available at Home Depot or similar stores.

You can get ABS glue at Lowe's. It is a thick black plastic that holds in place well and cures without heat being applied to it. Look in the plumbing section with the plastic pipe glue. It is called Oates Black ABS Cement and it is in a blue can.

No mixing or heat is required!

For cracks use tape on the inside and force the thick glue into the crack with a piece of flexible plastic. If done well, minimal sanding will be required and will be nearly invisible.

Most of the Motorcycle body parts are made from ABS plastic

Another way to make a perminate repair to ABS plastic is you can buy what is called a “dowel” of ABS plastic (black in color), from most any industrial plastics store.

You can use this plastic ABS dowel to repair cracks and small holes.

You will scrape / shave a section of the dowel (like peeling a carrot) to get shavings.

Place the shavings in a disposable glass jar. Then you mix the shavings into some methyline chloride.

The ABS shavings will dissolve into the liquid. You can thicken the mixture by adding more shavings. It takes about 5-10 minutes for all the shaving to dissolve. Mix the contents well.

Prior to mixing this up, prepare the repair area first. Sand the surrounding repair area with sand paper, clean it off a little. After you mix up the above mixture, spread the thick ABS mixture over (or in) toe prepared repair area. I suggest you smooth the ABS mixture the best you can so you will have minimal sanding after curing.

Note: I would apply this repair mixture to the inside of the damaged plastic body part if at all possible. Be careful to minimize any “squeeze out” on the outside.

Once the repair area cures, you can sand the repaired area with sandpaper if you need to. This repair will permanently fuse to the existing ABS body part material.

Lastly, make sure this is done in a well ventilated area like in your garage with the door open and a fan blowing the fumes away from you...

I guess I'll try the warranty route first. If that doesn't work I'll go the ABS plastic repair route. Still can't figure out how come it broke?????

I would pursade them to let me perform a "repair attempt" so I could keep riding until the order replacement part does come in...:whistling:

Bill,

I have used the black ABS cement but in case Lowes doesn't have it Oatley also makes a general purpose ABS/PVC/CPVC cement that I have used for years and it has held good every time. Just make sure you use the use the cleaner in the yellow can before you use the cement. It just makes sure the contact surfaces mate well.

Rick

• 5 months later...

Would you believe it...after 5 months.... Yamaha has decided to replace my lower cowling under warranty. Many months of back and forth e-mails and explainations and pictures finally paid off. Got the new midnight cowling installed today. I had no idea that it was this hard to get warrany work done.

Moakster :cool10::starz:

Would you believe it...after 5 months.... Yamaha has decided to replace my lower cowling under warranty. Many months of back and forth e-mails and explainations and pictures finally paid off. Got the new midnight cowling installed today. I had no idea that it was this hard to get warrany work done.

Moakster :cool10::starz:

Don't know what dealer you are using, but getting warranty work done has never been a problem for me at Yamaha Suzuki of Texas in Hurst. Even had them replace the lower left cowling when it cracked. I just rode the bike in and had them take a close look so they could see it had never been hit by anything, and they ordered it on the spot for me. I suspect it makes a huge difference on how assertive the shop is in telling Yamaha what the problem is.

Goose

I ran my lower left into a farm implement :doh: cracking the side and breaking the lower pin tab off. Lowell suggested a while back trying Amazing Goop. I bought some at WalMart. I tell ya, the stuff works good. I just smeared some on with a popsickle stick and let it cure overnight. Good as new.

Great news on the warranty. :clap2:

I had them (Houston Motorsports) replace the lower left and both inner and outer fronts under warranty. No sweat. As long as there is no evidence of a crash, they'll replace it for ya.

However, every time I open the front fairing something is cracked. A little Amazing Goop (or other suitable means of repair) and the crack stays fixed.

Regards, Ponch :biker:

Fixed the left side tab on my '99 with ABS cement and ABS pipe shavings. Worked great.

The left side lower fairing (middle tab) is subject to anything in your fuel that comes out the overflow/breather hose for the carbs, maybe because of the lean angle when parked. There doesn't have to be much, just a mist, if you are running any fuel additives that affect paint/plastic. My right side hose is always bone dry, the left yields just the slightest mist.

Kelly

I have used this on broken tabs on the lower fairing with success.

http://plastex.home.att.net/

http://www.plastex.ca/ (Canadian site has lots of info and examples)

Ya to that! I certainly second that motion.

I’ve used the plastex to repair a lower cowling and not only do you get a molecular bond but it’s also very easy to work with and can be used for so many things. After having tried different home remedies I’m sold on Plastex.

This is not a sales pitch just the way it is!