After doing a lot of research on here and other sights I pulled the trigger on a set of Dunlop E3's for my Venture. I also ordered Ride On to put in them. :cool10:

Goose, these tires are SWEET!

I replaced a set of Kendas that were on my 84 with a matched set of E3's...UNBELEIVABLE!

You are going to be VERY happy - Worth every penny!

My E3's are now 10 years old. As I have only had the bike for 5 of those years, I am uncertain as to how many miles are on them. There is adequate tread and no checks or cracking is visible - as a casual observation they look fine - but at 10 years of age, I do worry about what I cannot see!

Anyone have any thoughts on the usefulness (and safety) of old tires?

My E3's are now 10 years old. As I have only had the bike for 5 of those years, I am uncertain as to how many miles are on them. There is adequate tread and no checks or cracking is visible - as a casual observation they look fine - but at 10 years of age, I do worry about what I cannot see!

Anyone have any thoughts on the usefulness (and safety) of old tires?

I did not realize the E-3's have been out 10 years in a size that would fit the 1st gen. I remember having to wait on the front tire being released.

RandyA

I have an 11 year old Metzeler on the front of mine. It looks new. I finally got 'er running and put 40 miles on. The Metzeler is now showing cracks much like dry rot. I suspect the rubber has hardened. I'm not riding any more till it is replaced.

Good Choice!!! :smile5:

About 5 or 6 years ago, I took off my first E-2 " Rear " for replacement.

Out of curiosity ( because it seemed to be Heavier , then the original bridgestone ) that I still had laying in the corner of the garage.

SO: --- I Cross Cut the Caseing of both the E-2 and the old Bridgestone.

Hmmm , found something interesting. ( I used a hack saw, took a bit of work )

The Caseing of the E-2 measured almost 1/2 inch thick.

The Caseing of the old Bridgestone measured only 1/4 inch thick.

In both case's I was NOT, including the thickness of the Tread. Only the

caseing thickness.

Point--- You get a lot more rubber with the E-3's

If anybody has a bunch of Used, Rear, take off's, would be interesting to cross cut

all of the most popular brand Rear's that most of us use on these bikes !! Just to compare

the caseing thickness of them.

Or, simply put them all on a Scale, and compare the Weights, of the Tires.

i have worked in junk yards all my life im 47 , my favorite place, i took an old set of dry rotted tires bias ply off a 66 olds luxury sedan ,dry rot so bad you could see cords in side wall, nylon, these were new an left to set , ,,well i laid them in the sun still on rim took old used motor oil out of shop an poured it on it ,left it ,over night, dudes all were amazed next day all cracks were gone, oil softened up rubber and it took them off on a tire machine .put em on my truck an got all most 2 years out of them ,sold truck with them on it,, its an idea for you,,all i did was wash tire regular after i got them on my truck ,never had a problem, didnt even make it slick, weak truck wouldnt spin a tire with oiled tires,have done it to a lot of tires since ,it works

dthomso1 & SemiRetired in all seriousness motorcycle tires in excess of 8 years should be changed EVEN if they look pristine. Rubber breaks down with age. Motorcycle tires, unlike automobile tires, are under many stresses while riding (not to mention there is only two of them keeping you in balance) A blowout in a car is bad enough, on a bike...well.

In my old age I've come to realize that the $420 cost of new E3s is nothing compared to the cost of injury or worse.

Using old tire is like playing Russian roulette.

I have an 11 year old Metzeler on the front of mine. It looks new. I finally got 'er running and put 40 miles on. The Metzeler is now showing cracks much like dry rot. I suspect the rubber has hardened. I'm not riding any more till it is replaced.

I have E3's on the '99RSV and no complaints... however the '07 came with a set of fairly new Metzlers and the first time I rode it the front end felt like I was in mud... E 3's will be replacing them as soon as the bank account recovers..... :mo money:

My E3's were only $278 for the set, from Jake Wilson.

I have had several sets of E3s, on both 1st and 2nd gen. They are great tires, and ride very well. They are a little noisy in the curves, but not enough to bother me.

I did not realize the E-3's have been out 10 years in a size that would fit the 1st gen. I remember having to wait on the front tire being released.

RandyA

You are probably correct - my rear tire shows a manufacturing date of 2003 while the front is a 2005 vintage.

I have E3's on the '99RSV and no complaints... however the '07 came with a set of fairly new Metzlers and the first time I rode it the front end felt like I was in mud... E 3's will be replacing them as soon as the bank account recovers..... :mo money:

Havn the same issues with the Bridestones on the 03, although playing with pressures in the rear shock has helped out quite a bit with the feel of the bike. I don't know if I am going to be able to wait to wear out these tires, I may be swappin out when the wallet recovers.

Brian

• 4 weeks later...
My E3's were only $278 for the set, from Jake Wilson.

I have had several sets of E3s, on both 1st and 2nd gen. They are great tires, and ride very well. They are a little noisy in the curves, but not enough to bother me.

Monty aka Pat,

Thanks Bro ya just saved me some Big Bucks :cool10: Stealer wanted @$217 + $90 to mount just the Front.... Front is $134.xx and Free Shipping, Other Dealer only $50.xx I KNOW I should have done this MD-2013 :whistling:

Charlie & Tess

Monty aka Pat,

Thanks Bro ya just saved me some Big Bucks :cool10: Stealer wanted @$217 + $90 to mount just the Front.... Front is $134.xx and Free Shipping, Other Dealer only $50.xx I KNOW I should have done this MD-2013 :whistling:

Charlie & Tess

I picked up a set of E3's due to absolute neccessity right after buying the '99 a couple of years back. Total from JW was around $215 on the door step . Everything is digging into the pocket book more these days.. My local Y dealer mounted both tires for $90 bucks...on the bike!! Rode in, walked to breakfast, came back, and rode out 2 hours later... The good ol' days!!!