IGNORED

HELP! I want to build a safe trailer.

Monsta

I'm in the middle of building a Harbour Freight trailer, I bought a large diamond plate truck toolbox from JCwhitney. Ordered LED trailer lights to reduce load on the electrical system.

But for around $500 you can build one.

Alot of people have gone this route and after looking at the trailer it appears to be very safe to me.

:080402gudl_prv:

Ken,

I have built several of them, 3 this year alone, here are a few pics. I have used the harbor freight kits and they work out very well.

Here's the trailer that I have used to build the bases, just cut them down to the size you need them to be.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90153

I have also used a car topper and sold that one to one of our members here. Your choices are as limitless as your imagination :happy34:

BTW the trailer in the pics below I have logged better than 20000 miles on with absolutely no problems.

We just picked up a new fiberglass trailer off of ebay for $460. I'd show you pictures but it's in pieces right now with the painter waiting to be painted black cherry to match the bike. My husband was discussing the inside of it this week and plans to fabricate some kind of tie down system inside it so when it's being pulled by the RSV that every thing in the trailer be secured. We happened to see a crash last month that the bike took a curve too fast and his load in the trailer shifted - was not a pretty site.

We just picked up a new fiberglass trailer off of ebay for $460. I'd show you pictures but it's in pieces right now with the painter waiting to be painted black cherry to match the bike. My husband was discussing the inside of it this week and plans to fabricate some kind of tie down system inside it so when it's being pulled by the RSV that every thing in the trailer be secured. We happened to see a crash last month that the bike took a curve too fast and his load in the trailer shifted - was not a pretty site.

I put a floor and tie-downs in my PiggyBacker. Used 1/4" plywood over a 1x4 frame and covered it with indoor-outdoor carpet. Attached the tie downs where the screws would go through the plywood into the 1x4's. Replaced the original bolts holding the tub in place with longer ones through the new floor, tub, and frame. Picture in my gallery.

Doug

:rotf: :rotf: Obviously BuddyRich 's wife doesn't get on this site or he would be dead dead dead.

A buddy of mine built a single wheel trailer which attached to the bike's receiver with a U-joint coupling. He used a front wheel from a 400 suzuki and built a box and frame. When the bike leans so does the trailer and it follows the same track so if you avoid potholes etc with the bike the trailer misses them too. He went across Canada with it in July and put on 19000km with no problems.

A rider from here lost his Gold Wing and trailer last June in Maine when the trailer slid out in the rain and pulled down the bike. He wasn't hurt too bad but the bike was severely damaged.

I guess my point is for safety look into a single wheel design. I think there was posts here before with pics of this type of trailer.

Rick

• 2 years later...

i made this trailer .. ordered me a hf trailer and got me a old car top carrier and this is how it came out ... made it into a space ship thought it would look cool.. car top looked like junk when i got it ,, but look at it now ... just have to have a little imagination... here are some pics[ATTACH]28879[/ATTACH][ATTACH]28880[/ATTACH][ATTACH]28881[/ATTACH]

Hey Jeeper,

This is a nice loking trailer!! I have the same HF trailer and Sears Cargo top that I'm getting ready to tow behind the bike. I was looking at the combo behind the bike and it sure looks big. Does you bike (Venture?) pull it and stop it okay?

Thanks

Josh

Where/How do I start?

My question where are you going to go. The big island is still pretty small to need a trailer. LOL

Harbor Freight is the place to start. So many box styles to choose from. Pick one and go for it!

Good luck

Bubber

This is the trailer I built,using a H>F> trailer kit and I cut down a truck cap and put it back together you can do anything you want.The trailer is 200LB. empty and towes fine. Jerry M.

Nice Job!! Is the plate for the cooler? Where did you get it!

well i used a harbor freight trailer and a friend of mine gave me a old car top. well i decided that i was going to make it into a space ship so my mind kinda started wondering and this is how it came out ... thought that it looked cool and will carry about anything that i would want to carry.. i think that i have a todal of about 500.00 dollers tide up in mine ... but it was well worth it .. tell me what you think about it .. here are some pics:322:[ATTACH]29243[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]29244[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]29245[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]29246[/ATTACH]

Guest Yamahawg
150 unloaded.

With wife 5000 lbs loaded

without wife 400 lbs loaded

ROFLMAO... Bet you will pay for that comment...

• 2 weeks later...