IGNORED

You have got to be kidding me?

rickardracing

My bike has been on the lift for the last week. New tires and such. Work on it when I have the time in the evening. I have alot of things that I want to take care of before it goes back on the road. I replaced the front and rear tires, had 22,000 miles on them! Well when I took the saddle bags off, I saw the rear brake disc was pretty well grooved up. Pads are gone. I knew it needed rear brake pads and I was hoping it was not that bad. But it is. So I called the dealer in Brighton. $270 for a disc!!!! I told him I only wanted the disc, not the whole flipping wheel!! He said that was just for the disc! Ummm, nope. Got online and found a brand new EBC disc in California for $132, shipped free..............$270.......THAT is why they are refered to as stealers!

But, did he have it in stock?

RR

No, they never have anything in stock at this dealer. It would not be in until thursday. I will have the EBC by then. Even if they did have it in stock, at that price, the bike can sit a few more days. I don't mind supporting local businesses, but not at the cost of me being fleeced.

My local Yamaha dealer is like this to. 30-50% mark UP of MSRP on all Yamaha parts. It is insane.

This is why I get ALL of my YAMAHA parts from my local HONDA dealer or online... The parts manager at the Honda dealer does price match online stuff, within reason, (although he hardly ever has to because their prices are usually as good or better).

Although within the last year, their prices and service has been on the decline so I am starting to shift my business elswhere... They had some management rearranging happen... Oh well.

As for C&C in Brighton -- the couple of times I got parts from them or tires mounted I got different prices depending on who I talked with. It was the strangest thing -- one would be outrageously high, the other quite reasonable. :confused24: Now I only deal with them when I am up at my parents' (near 23 & Spencer road)...

No, they never have anything in stock at this dealer. It would not be in until thursday. I will have the EBC by then. Even if they did have it in stock, at that price, the bike can sit a few more days. I don't mind supporting local businesses, but not at the cost of me being fleeced.

List price on this OEM rotor is $300. They were giving you 10% off. Bikebandit.com has the OEM rotor for $218. 25% off it appears.

OEM part are normally more expensive than 3rd party aftermarket parts.

For future reference, you may want to check prices on the Internet and then ask the dealer if they can get close. My experience is that they can often get within 5 or 10% (sometimes even beating Internet price). If they can't? Then, no hard feelings.

RR

My local Yamaha dealer is like this to. 30-50% mark UP of MSRP on all Yamaha parts. It is insane.

This is why I get ALL of my YAMAHA parts from my local HONDA dealer or online... The parts manager at the Honda dealer does price match online stuff, within reason, (although he hardly ever has to because their prices are usually as good or better).

Although within the last year, their prices and service has been on the decline so I am starting to shift my business elswhere... They had some management rearranging happen... Oh well.

As for C&C in Brighton -- the couple of times I got parts from them or tires mounted I got different prices depending on who I talked with. It was the strangest thing -- one would be outrageously high, the other quite reasonable. :confused24: Now I only deal with them when I am up at my parents' (near 23 & Spencer road)...

23 and Spencer Rd is about 10 miles north from my house!

Without going into a long dissertation, 40% is generally the retail mark up on most items, but it's getting killed by online etailers. We all like a deal, but think of it this way. The dealer has to pay for overhead... rent, utilities, payroll, equipment, toilet paper... Etailers don't have to. Yes, some do have brick and mortar's, but walk in and see if you can get the same deal the first time through the doors. When a B&M on the east coast sells something to a one time customer on the west coast at 10% over, it's found business. He still has to rely on local business to keep the doors open. Now if you want to blame someone for the high prices try Yamaha. Some of the prices on their parts are insane...

Without going into a long dissertation, 40% is generally the retail mark up on most items, but it's getting killed by online etailers. We all like a deal, but think of it this way. The dealer has to pay for overhead... rent, utilities, payroll, equipment, toilet paper... Etailers don't have to. Yes, some do have brick and mortar's, but walk in and see if you can get the same deal the first time through the doors. When a B&M on the east coast sells something to a one time customer on the west coast at 10% over, it's found business. He still has to rely on local business to keep the doors open. Now if you want to blame someone for the high prices try Yamaha. Some of the prices on their parts are insane...

I used to work at a couple local Yamaha dealers in the parts department. Most Yamaha parts retail was double dealer cost. Some items this was not the case, but most were. Not sure if this still holds true, as my last year on that side of the counter was in '99. Trick is if you can build a relationship with the dealer, most will give you up to %25 discount. Now that being said, I shop around for the best deal on any parts I buy. Why wouldn't you? :confused24:

I used to work at a couple local Yamaha dealers in the parts department. Most Yamaha parts retail was double dealer cost. Some items this was not the case, but most were. Not sure if this still holds true, as my last year on that side of the counter was in '99. Trick is if you can build a relationship with the dealer, most will give you up to %25 discount. Now that being said, I shop around for the best deal on any parts I buy. Why wouldn't you? :confused24:

OK so they are Keystoned.... I do shop, but I don't try to find the cheapest dam price known to God like some do. Keep it up and you'll be dealing with Yamaha directly. I do order things through one of my local Yamaha dealers for convience, and they do give me a discount because of it. One of the things I do is to make sure I have the part number in hand of what I want. Takes very little time to wait on me.... unless we BS for a while.... :)

23 and Spencer Rd is about 10 miles north from my house!

A few years back I lived in Pine Valley Estates there in Hamburg... One of these days we'll have to meet up for a meal, ride or some ice cream [or some subset therein].

Jack -- I understand all of this, but really 40% up on MSRP/List? I totally understand 50 to 75% above dealer cost... Not to mention the HONDA dealer that I get my YAMAHA parts from sells to me for somewhere between 20 and 30% below MSRP/List price. They still make money, keep a customer happy and continue to earn my business.

If my local Yamaha dealer wants to charge the way they do, that is their prerogative just as it is mine to chose which local dealership to take my business.

Guest Swifty

...yeah right, and then there's my story of buying an engine online from Pinwall, driving 5 hours to pick it up, and they have no record of any such engine despite all the evidence, numbers and video they used to advertise it!!

:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

A few years back I lived in Pine Valley Estates there in Hamburg... One of these days we'll have to meet up for a meal, ride or some ice cream [or some subset therein].

Jack -- I understand all of this, but really 40% up on MSRP/List? I totally understand 50 to 75% above dealer cost... Not to mention the HONDA dealer that I get my YAMAHA parts from sells to me for somewhere between 20 and 30% below MSRP/List price. They still make money, keep a customer happy and continue to earn my business.

If my local Yamaha dealer wants to charge the way they do, that is their prerogative just as it is mine to chose which local dealership to take my business.

Actually I used to have a Yamaha wholesale price list from a few years back, and the MSRP's were all Keystoned. I also agree that if a dealer is gouging go find another. However, I never mentioned anything about the MSRP and it being marked up 40%. I did talk about 40% markup. I just figured everyone understood 'over cost'.... For not being explicit I apologize.

I just got to thinking. Maybe not all folks are familiar with the term 'Keystoned'. In the retail or wholsale business the term means the the item is marked up 100% over dealer cost, or..... the retail is discounted by 50% to the dealer.

Edited by Condor

We will have to do that. Let me know next time your in town.

Actually I used to have a Yamaha wholesale price list from a few years back, and the MSRP's were all Keystoned. I also agree that if a dealer is gouging go find another. However, I never mentioned anything about the MSRP and it being marked up 40%. I did talk about 40% markup. I just figured everyone understood 'over cost'.... For not being explicit I apologize.

No worries Jack -- I guess I missed the ambiguity in your response (40% 'mark up' from cost vs 40% over msrp) and interpreted it incorrectly based on the wording in my initial post.

I could have been more clear as well.

:group cheers:

We will have to do that. Let me know next time your in town.

You're on. I am usually up a few times every year.

Ok, so had to chime in.:scratchchin:

In 2002 we owned a small dealership in Oklahoma. I can tell you first hand, whether you are dealing with Yamaha, Honda, Kawi, Suzuki or others, the dealer is charged based on what "level" he is with said brand. One star thru five star. Heck, they will make you pay COD until you are approved at a "level". Level's are based on SALES. Nothing more.

So, for instance, we have the oldest Yamaha dealer in the United States about 25 miles from us. http://www.knmotorcycles.com/p/About-Us-12 Bought bikes and parts there when I was a young-en. Also where wideopenrod worked. Even tho they started in California in 1957 or so, moving to Ok in 1971, based on their sales, they pay more than a "Mega Dealer" for parts, bikes, etc. because they just dont move that much parts/inventory compared to mega dealer and markup and out the door prices are up to them.

Another example: Our friends own a Honda dealership in Stillwater Ok. It is a midsized dealership but not a Honda Supercenter, as Honda has opened in the last few years. 50 Miles away in Shawnee, Ok someone opens a supercenter. Supercenter gets 8 F6B's and Stillwater can't get one from Honda around the release date for the bike.

I say all this to say, we are moving to the "big box" dealerships that are given significantly better pricing than your mom/pop dealerships, like it or not. And what one dealer pays for parts is not necessarily what another pays. Discounts are strictly up to the dealer. MSRP's are per the manufacturer.

(Had to edit to say, it is not that the smaller dealers are charged more, they are charged full wholesale. The mega dealers are charged a discounted wholesale, based on a rating)

So shopping dealers in the case of this thread may turn up different prices and of course different discounts.

Ride Safe,

James

Edited by deepforkriver

The Internet is a modern day fact of life. It is not going away, no matter how much some retailers want it to. Consumers now have a way to verify how much something should cost and how much they are willing to spend. Smart retailers have learned to deal with it. 10% profit in the bank still beats 40% of a lost sale. At the end of the day it is really hard to deposit a point. Most banks require bucks.

Mike

Using a used rotor from a damaged bike is in my eyes risky business. Would never take the chance - you can wind up with a deformed dish and find out at a critical moment. Brakeparts I would always buy new.

Of cause you can get lucky and get a part that is O.K. but the risk is to high in my eyes.