IGNORED

Anyone no anything about hand gun's?

star4772

Looking to buy a decent hand gun. Something easy to carry with a good punch. Not looking to spend 500 dollars something maybe 2-300 or so. I'm in AZ and want to pick up something. I got my AZ ID so buying is no problem 5 min in and out with back round check and all. I don't need a permit to carry unless I go into a place that sells boozes. But might as well get one cuz its good in 37 states.

So any idea's on which to look at?

Joe

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it depends on how familiar you are with handguns. Revolvers are more reliable, yet semi-automatics are easier to carry because their generally slimmer, yet with more moving parts can be less reliable unless you pay attention to them. But to answer your question, my two favorites are .38 special and .40 Smith and Wesson. Both are great stoppers without being hard to hang onto. Another popular one is 9mm which is probably cheaper to shoot and practice with because of their popularity.

Oh and as for cheap....there aren't any right now, just remember you kind of get what you pay for .... yes there are some affordable new handguns, but again, reliability comes into play with a cheap new gun. Not saying they aren't going to be there if you need it, but my personal opinion is to find a good used quality name gun rather than a cheaply built new one.

:thumbsup:

Creole.

Guest tx2sturgis

What Creole said :happy34:

My personal favorite is a small lightweight revolver...unlikely to EVER jam when you need it. Its a double-action-only revolver.

These aint cheap but they are VERY lightweight. And no exposed hammer to snag on clothing. I sure like mine. Even if you dont buy one, you should at least look at one and hold it at a gun store. It will impress you.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/index.html?r=y

Edited by tx2sturgis

Well I will probably get my a$$ chewed out for this but if your looking for a cheap reliable gun look at hipoint. :stirthepot: You will hear a lot of BS about them coming from people who who have never owned or fired one but heard from their uncles, neighbors, mechanic who had one fail. But they will last forever (they have a lifetime, no questions asked warranty. That they will always stand behind for the lifetime of the gun even if its your fault.) They are not the prettiest but they will go bang every time you pull the trigger. They have pistols in 9mm, .40, and .45. I had the 9mm version and liked it a lot for the value.

Ruger Security Six, 3" barrel., fl. orange sights

357 MAGNUM

Stainless Steel, Ribbed Barrel with Packmeyer grips

Factory hollow points

with 2 speed loaders

Definately packs a punch....LOL

That's what I'd get ...

If... I felt the need for a weapon...

But I don't, I have absolute confidence the police will be able to protect my family and I...:whistling: So why waste the money?

Edited by CaptainJoe

All depends on your personal preference for the feel of the hand gun once you decide on what caliber you want.

I carry a Ruger .45 semiauto but for CCW I'd like a slimmer model. The .40 fit a smaller hand better and don't print as bad. A 9 mm is as about as low caliber as I'd go these days. Stopping power is one thing..... the shooters aim is another. What ever you decide spend time at a range.

Find out what the ammo supplies are like in your area to. Been dry supply around here lately.

Check out www.gunbroker.com for a decent selection of guns new and used for an idea of current price ranges. Very reliable outfit.

Kind of an eBay for guns. Give ya good idea of what's what.

Well I will probably get my a$$ chewed out for this but if your looking for a cheap reliable gun look at hipoint. :stirthepot: You will hear a lot of BS about them coming from people who who have never owned or fired one but heard from their uncles, neighbors, mechanic who had one fail. But they will last forever (they have a lifetime, no questions asked warranty. That they will always stand behind for the lifetime of the gun even if its your fault.) They are not the prettiest but they will go bang every time you pull the trigger. They have pistols in 9mm, .40, and .45. I had the 9mm version and liked it a lot for the value.

I agree. I personally don't know about the highpoint, but I do believe quality doesn't only come from the big name brands. I personally like Llama. It's a Spanish made gun and very well built and reliable yet was affordable as a new gun. However, they are no longer in business. The one I'm familiar with was built on the the 1911 colt design and in. 40 caliber with some interchangeable with colt. Very reliable, lots of rounds fired through it and no problems for years. I wouldn't hesitate to to pick one up if I came across one.

I guess it depends on how familiar you are with handguns. Revolvers are more reliable, yet semi-automatics are easier to carry because their generally slimmer, yet with more moving parts can be less reliable unless you pay attention to them. But to answer your question, my two favorites are .38 special and .40 Smith and Wesson. Both are great stoppers without being hard to hang onto. Another popular one is 9mm which is probably cheaper to shoot and practice with because of their popularity.

Oh and as for cheap....there aren't any right now, just remember you kind of get what you pay for .... yes there are some affordable new handguns, but again, reliability comes into play with a cheap new gun. Not saying they aren't going to be there if you need it, but my personal opinion is to find a good used quality name gun rather than a cheaply built new one.

:thumbsup:

Creole.

I use to a taurus 9mm which I really liked but that was years ago. You make a lot of sence of what you are telling me so I will look into a good quality used name brand and see what is out there.

Thanks

First you need some range time with some handguns. For semi-auto's you need to do some drills ie: press check, tap rack bang, magazine changes. These should be done so when you have a malfunction you correct it without even thinking. Next shoot and shoot some more. Live fire drills where you draw, keep the weapon into your chest and fire. Draw and fire, holster and repeat. Then moving with a weapon, no pointing your weapon in the air, you should be tactical , in the hunt or into your chest but always in control. 9mm, .40 or .45 are all good rounds. In caliber the question would would you rather be hit by a baseball thrown at 100mph ( 9mm) or a bowling ball thrown at 45mph (.45)

Wheel guns are easy to carry and don't have some downfalls that can come with a semi auto, but do have some of their own. You still need to do your range drills and your tactics are similar if not the same. .38 / .357 are standard but a .45lc or .44 are good also. A five shot .38 is easy to conceal and packs enough punch.

Most of the major manufacturers have fine weapons off the shelf, a decent gunsmith can clean up the bearing surfaces and improve the weapon. If you are going to rely on it for defense you want it to be reliable.

Reloads are fine for the range but production ammo for carry or home defense.

What Creole said :happy34:

My personal favorite is a small lightweight revolver...unlikely to EVER jam when you need it. Its a double-action-only revolver.

These aint cheap but they are VERY lightweight. And no exposed hammer to snag on clothing. I sure like mine. Even if you dont buy one, you should at least look at one and hold it at a gun store. It will impress you.

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/index.html?r=y

Thanks for the link those look pretty cool. I will look into them.

It is also a good idea to go to a range that rents guns and try out what you are thinking of buying. If you can not shoot it well it is not of much use.

That is very true as I have been looking around to see what is out here to do just that.

Thanks

It is also a good idea to go to a range that rents guns and try out what you are thinking of buying. If you can not shoot it well it is not of much use.

What Jeff said. I own (more than one) and use each for something different. Carry one all the time. Have some others here and there around the house. I have from 9mm to 45 ACP.

Go to a range and rent something. My full time carry weapon...Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II 45 Caliber ACP, 1911 type. 3" Barrel with built in Crimson Carry Laser in handle. Wife knows at home that all she needs to do is pull the trigger when the red dot is on her target. I practice this with her at the range. No looking through sights.

Just what I decided for me....

This could turn into a post like asking about "OIL". :doh:

All depends on your personal preference for the feel of the hand gun once you decide on what caliber you want.

I carry a Ruger .45 semiauto but for CCW I'd like a slimmer model. The .40 fit a smaller hand better and don't print as bad. A 9 mm is as about as low caliber as I'd go these days. Stopping power is one thing..... the shooters aim is another. What ever you decide spend time at a range.

Find out what the ammo supplies are like in your area to. Been dry supply around here lately.

Check out www.gunbroker.com for a decent selection of guns new and used for an idea of current price ranges. Very reliable outfit.

Kind of an eBay for guns. Give ya good idea of what's what.

FUNNY YOU MENTION GUNBROKER THE SHOP I STOPED AT TODAY told me to check the same site he sells a lot on guns on that site himself. I visited it today.

Joe

What Jeff said. I own (more than one) and use each for something different. Carry one all the time. Have some others here and there around the house. I have from 9mm to 45 ACP.

Go to a range and rent something. My full time carry weapon...Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II 45 Caliber ACP, 1911 type. 3" Barrel with built in Crimson Carry Laser in handle. Wife knows at home that all she needs to do is pull the trigger when the red dot is on her target. I practice this with her at the range. No looking through sights.

This could turn into a post like asking about "OIL". :doh:

Lets hope not. :rotf::rotf:no oil here.

Like Creole said, My 2 favorites are .38 snubbie or a good .40 both are easy carry, although the .38 may be a little small for you Joe. Go to the range and shoot a variety of revolvers and auto's, you'll know what feels right and shoots well for you. Also after you've found what feels right, try it in several different style holsters because if it's not comfortable to carry you'll just end up leaving it home.

:thumbsup2: to Gunbroker , GunsAmerica and armslist.com All great resources.

Seeing as you are so close to the border, you may want to head south and pick up one of those Fast & Furious freebies :whistling:

Looking to buy a decent hand gun. Something easy to carry with a good punch.

So any idea's on which to look at?

Joe

Joe,

a gun choice is basically made by feel. What "FEELS" good ergonomically in your hand & of course reliability. Going to a rental range & test firing will give you practical experience with different cal & gun types.

I have several from S&W K frames. EAA revolver to a .380 Bersa Thunder and a few others.

If I was going to make a recommendation based on low price & knock down punch I would say look into a polymer S&W Sigma 40ve 40 cal. They also come in 9mm which is good because ammo is cheaper, but you said knock down punch. They are basically a Glock 19 knock off. The big problem they have is a very heavy trigger pull 12Lbs. I found a video on You Tube to remove the pigtail spring & extra trigger spring (easy fix) both were added after Glock sued S&W for patent infringement. My Sigma now has a 4lb trigger pull. Also the cost of accessories are inexpensive. I put a Crimson Trace Laser for $149 on it which blends right in. Leather holsters on Ebay go for $35. It's pretty much the Chevy of guns. The Gun itself was Just over $300 NEW & comes with a lock, case & 2 magazines. I'm sure you can find a used one at a pawn shop cheap. Pretty much a work horse gun, lightweight & indestructible.

Here's a few pix from the net

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2010/12/07/74737_02_smith_wesson_sw40ve_sigma_w_cr_640.jpg

http://cdn2.armslist.com/sites/armslist/uploads/posts/2012/12/13/715236_01_s_w_sigma_sw40ve_40_cal_640.jpg

I have a Ruger SR9C 9MM really like it, easy to carry. $400 when I bought mine.

I just looked at one the other day. It was priced at 420 bucks. Same price as it was before all this craziness started. I wouldve bought it, but I dont have any ammo for it, and we all know how scarce the 9mm stuff is.

Another idea for you. I know that every now and again some dealers can come across Police guns that have been taken out of service. For some reason or another the police change models or something and the old guns are taken out of service. You might be able to come across a nice weapon for a decent price.

:sign yeah that:

except mine is an Ultra CDP 11 w/laser grip in 9mm