IGNORED

I signed up for a motorcycle training course

Dale124

Well, as I await taking possession of my new RSV, tonight I have officially signed up to take a motorcycle training course. I have not ridden in over 25 years, and several of you folks suggested taking a course. I have heard that you never forget the riding skills you once had, and after a while it is like you never stopped riding, but I don't want to risk my safety and the safety of my wife on that chance. I'm sure this will be an important purchase, not unlike a good helmet. Hopefully the snow will all be gone by the time the course date hits on May 18.

Dale. :322:

Dale, this will be a BETTER investment than even your helmet.

I stopped riding 25 years ago & recently took it up 2 years ago. I took the course basically out of convenience to get my motorcycle endorsement as I had let it lapse.

Not really expecting to learn much since I had 9 years riding experience. Boy was I wrong.

I know I could have passes the tests without the course, but I learned valuable defensive driver tips & practical accident prevention maneuvers that I was not aware of.

It keeps for a more enjoyable & confident ride ESPECIALLY when the wife is on-board!

any course to help you is a worthy investment. read the post " MY DAY WITH RIDE LIKE A PRO JERRY PALLADINO". There's ALWAYS something to learn

I did indeed read that post. I was sitting on the fence about taking a course and that thread helped make my decision. I just don't want to be like the Harley guy, dropping my bike several times.

Dale

I did indeed read that post. I was sitting on the fence about taking a course and that thread helped make my decision. I just don't want to be like the Harley guy, dropping my bike several times.

Dale

I hear ya Dale, rest assured you will gain some valuable insight. You can also wrap the guards and such in the foam stuff for the heater pipes. lets put it this way, although it sucks, I'd rather drop it in a controlled environment then at 50+ MPH in the street

and BTW, I didn't drop my bike :cool10:

I always suggest getting in at least 3 mos to 1 year before hauling passengers. If your going do something stupid, it will probbly occur in the first 90 days... statistically speaking. IMHO

+1. Great advice.. Riding with a passenger requires experience. Also, when you take someone along on your ride be sure to educate your passenger. Riding with an experienced passenger makes a big difference as well.

I always suggest getting in at least 3 mos to 1 year before hauling passengers. If your going do something stupid, it will probbly occur in the first 90 days... statistically speaking. IMHO

I second this, but would say 1 year minimum solo before even considering hauling a passenger. When you carry someone with you, anything and everything that happens to them is the pilots responsibility.

I think you're going to need some time with this bike, before you're comfortable. I can't imagine choosing a Venture as a first bike to ride after 25 years of not riding. The Venture has to be one of, if not the most difficult big motorcycle to ride (especially two up) The slow speed handling of the Venture is....less than friendly. It's ponderous, slow to react with all of that handle bar weight, and way top heavy.

Don't misunderstand, with some seat time the RSV can be a very capable ride. But you have to stay on top of it. Once you get it moving down the Highway, it's a joy to be on. Around town for a less than seasoned rider.....maybe not so much.

Good Call!! You can't have too much training. I also agree that you should take plenty of seat time on the Venture before adding a passenger. All the bikes I owned before this one have been relatively small in comparison. I believe it was 3 or 4 months before the wife climbed aboard.

My wife is gonna take the Ohio Riders Course this spring and is looking for a bike of her own. Has your wife thought of taking the course?? Not just for those who want their own bike but as mentioned in other posts, a good passenger can lend a lot to safety. Good Luck! And keep us posted

Thanks for all the insight, guys. My wife will never be interested in getting her own bike, she is happy to ride along with me. I will get all the practice I can on this big beast. The weight is my biggest concern, so I can see how getting good riding solo would be a must before taking anyone along. One nice thing about this course is that it includes a "practice for life" facility that I will make use of also.

Dale

I hear ya Dale, rest assured you will gain some valuable insight. You can also wrap the guards and such in the foam stuff for the heater pipes. lets put it this way, although it sucks, I'd rather drop it in a controlled environment then at 50+ MPH in the street

and BTW, I didn't drop my bike :cool10:

Exactly right...and they'll show you how to pick the beast up if you don't already know!!

i took a course last year glad i did all the bikes i rode before never had hyd anything. first time front brake was eye opening and clutch and rear brake was too easy. had to learn all over. bike is top heavy. wife told me i had to take her riding drove real slow stopped to fast and she tried to put her foot down. just abought dumped it. had forgotten about shifting position for tight u turns. you made a smart choice.

Good choice in taking the class. I too, like a good portion of this group took the MSF class after a 30yr hiatus from riding to raise my family. One of the best decisions I've made. They say it's worth two year of riding experience. I think the two most valuable things for me were 1) how to ride to be seen, lane position, blind spots, TURN YOUR HEAD and look. 2) countersteering, brake BEFORE the corner, trust your tires going into a corner if too hot. As a new or repurposed rider your tires will grip better than your riding ability will think they will. The majority of new rider single vehicle (you) accidents are going to hot into the corner. Also, be sure to tell your insurance co. you took the class.

I put my name on the waiting list for the advanced riding course.

I am thinking of also signing up for the standard course. I will just have to learn how to ride a little tiny bike. The school supplies 400cc bikes.

The standard course will also get me a break on my insurance.

I've been riding 18 years in October. I try to take the ERC every year. Alot of the folk who take it have been riding over 40 years. I like to hang out and ride with people who are better than me so I can learn and pass it on. It alot of fuN...

I took a msf course through the Air Force safety office on kadena AB Okinawa Japan. The united states did not recognize it for transfer to the stateside license. But one thing you'll have to do is...lay your bike down, and pick it up. I am sure that even the local courses still have you do that exercise. So if you have not picked up a heavy bike in awhile, practice. And good luck