IGNORED

The Wife is looking for her own wheels

Wade 2000

... she has no concept of what a clutch is...

Yeah, Cathy had the same problem. Light turns green, drop clutch, fall over. She got real good at picking the bike up though.:rotf:

Finally I took her out on our street (dead end, almost no traffic) and had her put it in 3rd gear to start out. Her eyes got the size of saucers and she said "in class they said...." and I told her to just do it.

Nothing like a few starts in a higher gear to teach how to feather the clutch. 10 minutes later she was a pro. Hasn't had to pick up the bike since.

My wife started riding her own with a honda shadow vlx600 4 speed. She is now riding a honda shadow spirit 1100. She has loved motorcycling so much she became an MSF RiderCoach.

If she is wanting to ride her own, there is alot of information on the web, my 2 cents worth is check out Roar Motorcycles, they are great people and cater to riders with a shorter inseam.

PS, make sure the bike fits her ( meaning her knees are slightly bent when seated on the bike and flat footed on the ground.... remember, women have a different center of gravity than we men do. A woman should be able to remove the bike from side stand using her leg strength, not upper body strength. )

Rick

My wife who at one time wanted to take up riding but changed her mind was looking at bikes. Now like the rest are saying somewhere in the 650 - 850 class bike is a great starter. While looking for a more permanent type of bike (like there is such a thing) we were looking at the Road Star bikes. She was eying a 2000 one because being only 5' 2" the fit was surprising and it is a 1600 but like I said she opted out of riding going to the passenger now and then.

You're surprised to see so many women riding, I see it all the time. Used to be one or 2 here and there. Now I see whole groups of women riding around. Riding some impressive machines too.

No not women in particular, couples that ride. The women I know that ride are single or just do so by themselves. Most couples I travel with either the wife doesn't ride or is on back

Definitely find something that fits her, and she's comfortable with. I know this is a Yamaha site, but take a look at the Suzuki Volusia/C-50. It's a very well balanced, low bike and doesn't weigh a ton either. I know several female riders that got their start on the Suz and say they're glad they did. Keep us posted on the progress, and good luck!!(to you both)

+1 on the Volusia/C50 as an option to check out. 805cc which means she won't outgrow it quickly, but still low enough center of gravity to be easy to learn on. They also go for ever. I put over 70k on mine without any work other than regular maintenance type things.

+1 on the Volusia/C50 as an option to check out. 805cc which means she won't outgrow it quickly, but still low enough center of gravity to be easy to learn on. They also go for ever. I put over 70k on mine without any work other than regular maintenance type things.

I met a couple guys last summer who were both on C50's and they had been all over the country on them. They both rode 2up w/ luggage. I was impressed. What kind of mpg did you get? Were there any common issues mechanically with it?

Thanks Gil! Yes, Marilyn has her own bike. Those that have ridden with her can say "that girl can ride". I can say "stop and smell the roses sometimes!" She can ride and ride and ride.

She handles her bike very well and has even towed a cargo trailer with it with the daughter riding shotgun.

Her bike is a 1100 vstar. Just the right height and weight and enough power to get her around. Starting off she had a 1000 virago. It was a great little bike but was getting old and was a little light on the highway. She found herself getting blown around a bit.

Now for the the hidden meat of the question me thinks. Is it nerve racking? Darn straight it is...Marilyn normally leads as I have the camper in tow and I read somewhere that the trailers should bring up the rear. It gets the heart going when we see something developing and wondering if she sees the same thing and can she avoid it.... deer, coyote (2-3of them last trip), cars turning. All that stuff. Relax...enjoy the ride together, if its meant to be then it will be.

My ex and I rode for years. She on a Honda 700 Nighthawk S and I on a Honda V65 Sabre. After the divorce I bought the Venture cause the new girlfriend ( now old girlfriend)had no interest in riding her own. New girlfriend wants to ride her own bike and we picked her up a Honda Rebel to start but I also recommend the Honda 750-800 Magna especially if shes short. My lady is 5ft.

I love the Americade because you see so many women riders there.:thumbsup2:

If your thinking of an 1100 as a starter, you could go to a V Star 1300, it is just as low as the 1100 is a better bike, its water cooled and fuel injected. I have one I am trying to sell, if your interested it is listed in the classifieds. All 3 bikes mentioned are very easy to ride and handle. Mine has a batwing fairing, hard bags, and a tour pak.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=4302&title=2007-v-star-1300-tour&cat=9

We've been looking and the Yamaha vstar custom fits her real well. 650 or 1100 I just want her to get something she won't outgrow overnight but still a good beginner bike. I am coming to the IR cant wait!

My son started riding last year at 17 years old. He was 5'7 and maybe 140 pounds at the most. We got him a vstar 650 classic. He really likes it. It has a winshield already and the exhaust has Vance and Hines short shots on it. He likes it alot this way. I just got him crash bars for a birthday present, so he can add highway pegs to stretch out a little. He is starting to grow now, and I am betting that this may be his last year on it. We actually talked about making it into one really cool bobber when he is to big to ride it long distances. He started out really cautious, and we had him take the safety course. And to start with he said it is the perfect bike.

When I met my wife several years ago she had never been on a motorcycle. I asked her to join me on a trip out to Montana for Star Days, she hesitantly agreed . she decided to take the motorcycle safety class with the intent of being a better passenger. when she completed the class she came to me and asked for help in picking out a bike. Her first bike was a 2004 honda shadow, but she was uncomfortable riding it due to the weight. Over the winter we found a Virago 250 which turned out to be a great confidence builder, but was not designed for freeway riding . she rode that for one summer and then the following summer went back to the shadow, last year she picked up a vstar 1100 which she rides now.

now for bennifits. I usually get about 45 mpg on my venture she gets a bit over 50 on her bike so between us we are getting about 95 mpg while we ride......

Get a helmet with a built in blue tooth communications. can be used for bike to bike as well as the usual devices . you can get them from leather up for less than $200 each or better quality helmets for more. there are add on blue tooth systems as well. Personally I would avoid the chatter box systems. with communications you can warn her of upcomming hazzards or turns plan stops etc

if you both have bikes get a pair of good travel bags to strap on behind the driver ahead of the sissy bar for good ballance. hit the road and go for a week or two before you run out of clothes, two bikes increases your range, over everything in one bag. If you are touring with two bikes aqnd one breaks down you don't have to wait for a good samaritan you just double up and go for help.

Maintenance expenses registration, insurance goes up. If you haul your bikes anywhere you will need aq larger trailer bigger truck.

for most it all adds up to more fun as one of you isn;t watching the world go by or the back of a helmet

Al