IGNORED

Gun Club

Sailor

I know this is off the subject of bikes but since guns seem to come up here frequently I just thought I would post this. Please do not feel obligated, it is our battle but your e-mail would help.

On Saltspring we have a Rod and Gun club. A developer has bought the property next door and is trying to have the club shut down. We have been blindsided by the local ruling body ( the Capitol Regional District) in that they are about to pass bylaws which would basically shut down our club so the developer can make himself richer. They are doing this without any consultation

with the club or the community. We got notice yesterday ( Monday, Sept 17 ) that they were going to consider this bylaw on Wed Sept 19. This leaves us little time to respond. If you feel like helping e-mail your opinion to the following people.

directorjdf@crd.bc.ca

directorsgi@crd.bc.ca

directorssi@crd.bc.ca

ssirodandgun@gmail.com

Thanks ...Sailor aka Rainman aka Kerry Butler

That has happened a lot of places here in the States too.

Where I live in Georgia the State legislature passed a law 'grandfathering' in all existing gun clubs so this couldn't happen. or even individuals couldn't buy property next to a gun club, then complain about noise or anything else.

good luck.

I have 4 gun clubs within 4 miles of my house, all have outdoor ranges. I have been a member at 2 of them. Like was already said, they are grandfathered in (protected by state law) which protects them from local noise ordinances. These clubs operate from 9am till dusk everyday. There are still people who buy homes around the clubs and then try to complain about the noise to the township boards, they are mad when they're told you knew the club was there, yet you still bought the home, you have 2 choices, deal with it or MOVE. :clap2::thumbsup2:

I'd send a message but I don't think me as USA citizen would hold any weight with your local officials.

I suggest you organize all Canadian clubs to press for protection from this sort of thing, do it at a national level so it doesn't happen to more clubs.

Here in America we have a few companies trying to buy up all the arms & ammo makers so they can advance their anti gun agenda. :bang head:

We have this happen regularly around small airports. We get help from a national organization such as AOPA that has a vested interest in maintaining small airports. I would suggest if have a national gun group like the NRA, give them a call. :080402gudl_prv:

bilko1 we do that as well but the cops have it set up with the local antis gunners to call them if they hear any shooting going on even in hunting areas. then the cops sit and wait for you pull you out of your veh at gun point. serch you to see if they can get you for some infraction so they can seaze your guns and permits so you can not get them back or have to take the taining all over if you have not been baned for life/ if juge clears you it makes no diffrens they can and have given juges the finger becouse they can. non of what i am telling you is bs. i have meany storys i know:225: of first hand . we only just got ride of long gun reg. after years of fighting and we are not to sure they will not try it again.

Just got back from the meeting with the powers that be. The whiners were informed that the club is perfectly legal and they could not shut it down (Yea!) but they were also informed that they could apply to have the hours of use severely restricted but not so restricted as to preclude normal use. The meetings on hours of use will continue.

In their great wisdom the Founding Fathers put the Second Amendment only behind the First. They understood the importance of free speech, and knew that without the right to bear arms, there would be no way to protect the right to free speech.

If we lose the Second Amendment, it's likely that we'll eventually lose the First.

There are many who would scoff at this perception and believe it should be the governments job to protect us from all evils, but common sense indicates that this just isn't possible. They think that the risks of private gun ownership are too great, but with great freedoms come great risks.

As for me I'll take what's left of the freedoms and accept the risks.

I could go on and on about this (and many other) issue(s), but I suppose it could be considered political, and I know that's frowned upon in this venue.

Anyhoo, that's my $.02:301:

A few years ago someone bought some property adjoining a local quarter mile drag strip that has been in business for over 50 years. Then they tried to sue the race track because of the noise. The judge ruled in favor of the track and told the people to deal with the noise or move. They knew about the track before they bought the land.