IGNORED

Question for our southern friends

steamer

Guest tx2sturgis

If you dont mind a lower cost of living, :happy34: you might look into Southern New Mexico.

Certainly it is warm in the summer, and winters are very mild, since it's a desert climate.

Las Cruces, Deming, Lordsburg, Truth or Consequences, Roswell, Hobbs, and Alamogordo all have similar climates. There is a state income tax, but its offset by low property taxes, depending of course on where you settle.

For seniors living there, its a well kept secret. And oh yeah, they DO take American money! :D

Good luck on your search.

This is my brother's property in Florida. It is very close to the Gulf (3 or 4 miles) and in very good condition. I know he would entertain offers. I can get you some more pictures if you are interested.

I would suggest where ever you decide to go that you rent there for a few months first before you buy.

http://www.alligatorpark.com/homesforsale.php?view=details&cat=2&id=1

BOO

um... isn't Punta Gorda the place that got wiped off the face of the earth a couple years ago????:confused24:

I've lived in SC for 40+ years. Lived on the coast in Beaufort and midlands, east of Columbia. With that, and that you might like motorcycles, I's suggest looking towards Greenville, SC.

I don't know about mobile communities but suggest the area.

Pleanty of stuff to do, town festivals regular. Newer growing area with the manufacturing (BMW). AND>>>> MOUNTAINS are 30 minutes away!

Mike G in SC

Since you seem to have a few years left I'd take some trips to the different areas you might like and go from there. Money aside you might like to pick a place that suits you the best. We could all give you plenty of reasons to move near any of us, but it's your final choice. As far as hurricanes we get em down south, but nowhere is immune from any sort of possible natural disaster.

Margaret

Guest scarylarry

Mini is right but with a hurricane you have time to leave in a tornado you have time to duck for cover hopefully...

Tenn and Ala has been real bad for tornados in the past 3-5 years...

Me? I would take Florida do a 5th wheel in a CG and pack that thing up and leave when a hurricane moves towards me, but that is me...

Yea Punta Gorda is the place that got wiped clean. @ ways to look at this. 1) everything there is realtivly new 2)If its still stnading from then its built pretty dang good. Oh and whats the possiblity that one will hit exactly there again in near future? Hey I lived in southwest Oklahoma (tornado alley) for 20 yr while I was in the service in amobile home (we dont like to call them trailer houses anymore :stickinouttounge:) But yea every spring I would go on the roof and make sure someone didnt paint a target on the roof for a tornado. I'll take the hurricanes any day.

I guess I was mistaken about Ga not having a income tax.

Here is a list of no state incom tax from ehow.

The states with no income tax are Alaska, New Hampshire, Tennessee, Florida, South Dakota, Washington, Nevada, Texas, and Wyoming.

you need to come over here Steamer..... Over 55 communities are very popular here. We live on the coast, and have quite a few around near us. Everything provided within the community E.G: clubhouse, gym, pool, BBQ area, tool shed for the men, storage compound for 5th wheeler or boat, etc.

Come on over :big-grin-emoticon::australia:

um... isn't Punta Gorda the place that got wiped off the face of the earth a couple years ago????:confused24:

Punta Gorda certainly didn't get "wiped off the face of the earth" but it did take a pretty good hit from "Charley".

I would guess about a third of the homes in this community were damaged or destroyed. It was kind of strange, two homes across the street from my brother's was blown into the next county but my brother had very little damage.

The community did get a very nice new clubhouse out of the deal.

Seems like anywhere you live there are issues of some kind.

Anyway it's an option,

BOO

Don't know about the other states but NH makes up for no income tax with Real Estate taxes. The other states my be similar. They gotta get the $ from somewhere.

sp!ke

Yea Punta Gorda is the place that got wiped clean. @ ways to look at this. 1) everything there is realtivly new 2)If its still stnading from then its built pretty dang good. Oh and whats the possiblity that one will hit exactly there again in near future? Hey I lived in southwest Oklahoma (tornado alley) for 20 yr while I was in the service in amobile home (we dont like to call them trailer houses anymore :stickinouttounge:) But yea every spring I would go on the roof and make sure someone didnt paint a target on the roof for a tornado. I'll take the hurricanes any day.

I guess I was mistaken about Ga not having a income tax.

Here is a list of no state incom tax from ehow.

The states with no income tax are Alaska, New Hampshire, Tennessee, Florida, South Dakota, Washington, Nevada, Texas, and Wyoming.

Medical insurance isn't a problem, being retired military. Thats one of the smarter things i did in my life.

There is a VA hospital on the north side of Atlanta which is easily accessed.

If you are interested in the north Georgia mountain area, Camp Merrill (Ranger Camp) near Dahlonega has a good PX/commissary I'm told. Also a good medium size hospital here and 2 larger hospitals within 25 miles. Weather here is just about ideal. summers aren't as hot as either the midwest or Texas or Florida. Very little snow in the winter, in general.

There aren't any pre-built communities, but you can buy a lot and have a pre-built put up on it. I'd look at buying used as the market is depressed a little right now.

Georgia doesn't charge state income tax on pensions. I would call Georgia very veteran friendly.

Some counties in GA have reduced property taxes for those over 65. Varies by county.

The wife and I are retired military. All the time we lived in Georgia we had to pay state income tax on our retired pay.

to clarify what I said:

Georgia starting in 2012. You may exclude $65,000 of retirement income if you're over age 62 or you're under age 62 and totally and permanently disabled.

Previously the amount was $35,000.

And also just did away with the ad velorum taxs on vehicles, now you will pay a higher tag fee(7%) I think upon the initial purchase. The income thing sucks, I am retired, but because I am younger than 62, get taxed........discrimination i think!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being retired military I thought I was going to have good health care for my wife and I when I got out. This new health care will treat us like we never had any.

Back to the subject, something we looked at when deciding to stay our time in the military was "retiring" early so to speak. Still pay federal tax on retired pay dont guess you could expect to get out of that, unless your a congressman or something. I Fort Myers there is a VA hospital and it has a good network of comunity based clincs around the area. Thats and option. Some of the Dr around here accept Tricare and atleast know what it is.

Nope, nothing we can do about fed taxes. But every little bit helps, so living in a state that doesn't tax mil. retirement is a good thing, unless its NY. witch does not tax retirement, but you can't afford the property and school taxes here. Forget about heating bills, this alone will kill you.