IGNORED

Front axle question.

Decided to take my front wheel of myself this time to take it to a bike shop to have a tire mounted on it. Usually I just have the shop do the whole job. So, my question is, what the heck do I have to do to get the axle out? I loosened the allen head pinch bolt, but I can't get the axle to break lose. I'm using a 22mm socket with a medium size breaker bar. Makes me wonder if I should get out the ole impact wrench. This axle is a left hand thread, right?

Thanks for suggestions,

Lynn

Guest tx2sturgis
Decided to take my front wheel of myself this time to take it to a bike shop to have a tire mounted on it. Usually I just have the shop do the whole job. So, my question is, what the heck do I have to do to get the axle out? I loosened the allen head pinch bolt, but I can't get the axle to break lose. I'm using a 22mm socket with a medium size breaker bar. Makes me wonder if I should get out the ole impact wrench. This axle is a left hand thread, right?

Thanks for suggestions,

Lynn

Its been awhile since I removed mine, but Im pretty sure its a normal right hand thread.

Counterclockwise rotation of the nut should remove it.

I wouldnt put an impact on it!

:shock3:

Guest tx2sturgis
The sucker is tighter n a tick on a hounds back! Can't get it to break loose.

You can try a breaker bar, or cheater bar, but I wouldnt put an impact on it...I wonder if it was cross-threaded when it was worked on the last time? I sure hope not.

If your careful with a Mapp Gas tourch you can heat the nut and it will break the bond of any loc tite that was applied.

Let a water hose dribble around fork and inside of axel as the ONLY thing you want to expand is the Nut.

I don't let anyone else work on my bike, especially a underpaid youngun with an attitude and impact wrench.:whistling:

Although... I don't see anything wrong with using an impact "to take something off":confused24:

B4 you heat it I always use the sharp rap trick. Take a blunt flat head chisel and give it a couple of good raps on a flat area of the nut with a nice size peen hammer. This also works on screws using regular screwdrives ...

Edited by CaptainJoe

My question is, what the heck do I have to do to get the axle out?

I loosened the allen head pinch bolt, but I can't get the axle to break lose.

Remove the pinch bolt entirely .......(and use 14 ft lbs of torque to re tighten it)...since your having problems removing your axel then go ahead and spray a little lubricant...it wont hurt it a bit..

.....then lefty loosy....To reinstall, righty tighty..... (and use58 ft lbs of torque to retighten)

Edited by Eck

Go ahead and use penetrating oil. Just clean the threads with brake cleaner prior to reassembly. I also see no problem with using an impact for removal only.

If using heat to try to loosen loctite, it only takes about 360°F (180°C) to break down blue loctite, or about 550°F (260°C) to break red loctite, disassemble while hot. If red loctite was used then see if you can get your longest breaker bar to conform to the head of the person that put it in there.

Do not over heat, at 650°F (343°C) you are starting to risk changing the temper and strength of the forks.

Uh oh. When I took the axle out, it looked like it had some Loctite on the threads. Well, when I was reinstalling it just a while ago, I was threading the axle back in. When I put the torque wrench on it to torque it 56lbs, right before it clicked, it felt like the threads went weak. I think the last person that did it, over tightened it, and then put Loctite on it to make it stay.