IGNORED

1st Gen MKI Driving Light Lens

Folks, (On Kevin's recommendation below, let's call it: Right Front Turn Signal)

My 84VR MKI had an unfortunate "garage crash" the other day for no apparent reason (aside from the sudden escape of front fork air). I had a 1x4 under the side stand (so she doesn't lean so much). I'm getting ready to replace the tires, and she'd been sitting for a couple of days since our last ride. So when I say "for no aparent reason" I mean I bent down to see just how bad the tread was on the front (cracks between the tread), and as soon as I tapped on the tire, the front end dropped 3-4 inches (air pressure had dropped to zero while she was sitting-obviously another issue), and because she had that 1x4 under the side stand, she dumped over on the right side, and crashed against a ladder hanging on a rack. The impact cracked the lens cover on the driving light, and the right mirror post.

So getting on with my question: I've searched all of the service and parts manuals and can't find anything about a replacement lens. The only reference I've been able to find is a diagram calling out "driving light" ... with no parts breakdown or service procedure. So I don't know if the lens is available, or if I'm looking at replacing the whole light. Either way - no part numbers are called out.

Is there a part number for the lens? And where can I find a replacement? Anybody got a used one they're willing to sell? Would also like to replace the mirror - although I can live with it for now.

Any input is much appreciated.

Edited by Rickaroo
Referred to the wrong part

Yamaha used to list them as an assembly only if I remember right. Crazy price.

But take a look on eBay. They are listed quite often. Mostly lens. Prices on them are usually quite reasonable.

But then again, one of these guys might have one laying around to. Ya never know with this bunch. I can't help ya on the front. All I have is the rears.

Glad it wasn't any worse. I've come close to that happening a couple time. I use a 1 1/2" thick piece of plywood with a handle to keep mine close to level so it don't lean too far into the wall. Sometimes it's a lil too close to level ya know what I mean. :rotf:

Good luck.

Mike

Rick,

Calling the front turn signal a "driving light" is confusing. I understand that is what it was called in the reference you cite, but in the Yamaha Venture parts catalogs the component you are seeking is called the right "front flasher light assembly" or for the rest of us, the right front turn signal.

The front flasher light assembly, PN 26H-83320-70, lists for $183.63, discounted (?) to $143.07 at boats.net.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1984/VENTURE%20-%20XVZ1200L/TURNSIGNAL/parts.html

Apparently it is still available from Yamaha. The lens is not sold separately.

Your best bet is to seek one on eBay. Here is a pair, for $40:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Venture-1200-XVZ-XVZ12-Used-Original-Fairing-Turn-Signal-Pair-1983-M3-/110933545555?hash=item19d4279253&item=110933545555&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

I have glued the pieces of a lens back together last till I could get a proper replacement. It worked quite well. I used a foam safe CA glue along with an accelerator, from the local hobby shop.

Regular CA glue (ie Super Glue) is closely related (chemically) to Loctite and we all know what that does to plastic.......

Folks, (On Kevin's recommendation below, let's call it: Right Front Turn Signal)

Rick, I wasn't trying to be anal or nit picky about the nomenclature, it was just that the thread title asks about driving light lens and most readers would think you were speaking about the auxiliary lights we often call driving lights and thus might not open the thread to learn what you were really seeking was the turn signal lens.

I was just trying to help.:duck:

Hi Kevin,

No problem. I didn't take your info any such way. I'm glad we got the part named so folks will recognize it. The odd (and perplexing) thing is that going through all of the manuals and parts sheets I've got, the only vague reference I could find was one line drawing pointing to it as a driving light. None of the fairing drawings shows it ... none of the lighting breakouts shows it. But nevertheless - we've identitifed it now with part number & possible replacement sources.

Everybody's been great in chiming in with input - and I really appreciate it. Hopefully KIC will locate his spare & get back to me. In the meantime, I superglued the 3 larger chunks of the breakout back in as a semi patch - and the rest are basically crumbs.

Thanks again,

I'll play the part of the jerk (even though I'm really not one)... I had no trouble finding the turnsigs called out, including part numbers. It's an entire assembly, as previously mentioned. It's under the TURNSIGNAL subsection...

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1984/VENTURE%20ROYALE%20-%20XVZ1200DL/TURNSIGNAL/parts.html (link may or may not take you directly there)

26H-83310-70-00
FRONT FLASHER LIGHT ASS''Y 1
$183.63$143.07

26H-83320-70-00
FRONT FLASHER LIGHT ASS''Y 2
$183.63$143.07

No worries. A vast number of us have found boats.net (among other sites) to have very good part information at times. It's worth bookmarking. Furthermore, if you have a good relationship with your local stealership I'd suggest seeing if they will match the online pricing that boats.net shows- I've saved quite a few dollars over the years by this method. :080402gudl_prv:

Looks like my blonde 84 has the right side on it. It is stored at my dad's. I will try to go by in a day or so...got jury duty tomorrow, so it might be Wednesday..

If not,:080402gudl_prv: I am sure I have one he can have.:cool10:

Bilko

870-350-0365

OK... finally got over to get it off the parts bike. Here are the pictures of the right side lens. There are two little "cracks" but it is solid. Below are pictures. Let me know if you want it, it's yours, and I will go get one of those Postal Service boxes to ship it.