IGNORED

Rider killed in Sioux Falls SD

bj66

A rider died today in Sioux Falls. The accident happened last night, there were 5 vehicles involved. The driver that caused the accident tried to run and was caught. He spent his 21st birthday in jail today. The driver was doing 60 mph (in town) and texting when the accident happened at an intersection, and the biker was caught up in the accident. Sad sad day in Sioux Falls. As of right now 10:00 p.m., over 100 people are holding a candlelight vigil in the intersection as I am writing this. The police are still trying to get all the evidence together before reopening the intersection.

PLEASE be careful out there people.......I am tired of watching and reading about things like this. I just wish people in cars were as careful as we are.

Someone ought to put his phone where it dont get service anymore. Ya got to wonder, where in the heck did he need to go that was that dang important? And di he really need to send a message then.

Guest scarylarry
Someone ought to put his phone where it dont get service anymore. Ya got to wonder, where in the heck did he need to go that was that dang important? And di he really need to send a message then.

No where and no he didn't....

They should make it a federal law that no cell phone works when inside a moving vehicle and force the cell phone companies to make them that way, no one, not even the police need to be on a cell phone while operating a vehicle, thats what the radios are for.........I am sick and tired of seeing all these people texting and reading text while driving. I dont drive and talk on the cell phones any more, I let the caller go to voicemail, when I stop, I check it and if its that important I will pull off the road someplace and make the call back. Common sense isn't all that common with some folks..............I have almost been hit several times by people on the phone or doing something else while driving while we are here in Fla for our family vacation.

Wonder how many people have to die before they make the phone inoperable when your car is moving? The program is available and can be disabled if the GPS shows the car moving.

They should make it a federal law that no cell phone works when inside a moving vehicle and force the cell phone companies to make them that way, .

But what about passengers?

you can't legislate against stupidity.

People still drink and drive.

But what about passengers?

you can't legislate against stupidity.

People still drink and drive.

I will trade making it inconvenient for the passenger to save a life. My daughter lost here best friend due to texting while driving. It was such a waste and needless. You do not need a phone at every instance of your life. People are more important than you being able to use your phone. It is as simple as that. Make the phones so they can not text while the car is moving. Japan has already used that technology. When texting and driving hits a persons home and they have a loved one die because of it, it will change the way a person looks at it. It has become an epidemic on the road and is costing lives and it is time to stop it.

PS when I say you I do not mean you specifically

I am a sales rep for the largest industrial sales company in the world. I travel by vehicle about 3000 miles per month in a territory that extends out about 100-150 miles from my home. I have an extensive client base that keeps me busy on the phone with them constantly, and my email and text counts on a daily basis are at a ridiculous level sometimes.

Having said that, I no longer text and email (my email comes to my smart phone) while my vehicle is moving because I had a near death experience a couple years ago because of a texting incident while I was driving. I was on the freeway traveling at 75mph when I received a text from one of my clients. It was an important matter so I decided to read and respond with a text. As I was reading the text, I had let myself take my eyes off the road too long, and I glanced up to see a highway police car in my lane nearly stopped in front of me. I had just enough time to yank the stearing wheel to the right, and if i missed his right rear by an inch, thats all I missed it by. My vehicle left the freeway at probably 70-75mph and very luckily for me, stayed upright and just slid sidways for a long ways down an embankment that was on the side of the freeway. After my vehicle stopped, I was actually able to slowly drive it back up to the freeway surface and stop on the side. He pulled up behind me and I actually was freaking so bad that I got out of the car and my knees buckled. I uncontrollably started apologizing to him. He got out of his cruizer and was so shook up, he just leaned and sat against the hood of his car and was shaking. He asked me what the hell I was doing, and after I explained, he proceeded to chew me out like I was his son, and informed me that I was headed down a road to certain death, or even worse, killing someone else. He and I asolutely knew that we had just experienced a situation that very easily could've killed at least one of us, and probably both. It would've been a horrific collision that most certainly would've made the news that afternoon. The reason he was going so slow was because he was creeping behind a paint truck that was going real slow painting new lines on the freeway. He even had his flashers on, but because i was focusing so much on the text, I didn't even notice them.

Before that moment I had a strong confidence in my ability to drive and multitask, after all, I was used to doing it because my car is my office. Not so anymore. I now will stop on the side of the freeway or anywhere else if I need to respond to a text or email. And to tell you the truth, I very quickly learned that 90% of most text and emails don't need an immediate response anyway.

Actually talking on the phone is something I will do if its critically important to my business. I have helped things in the talking area by purchasing a vehicle that has Bluetooth so everything is hands free. I do believe that talking on the phone is very dangerous too, but no where near as dangerous as texting and emailing on the phone. You have to look and stare at the phone to text and email and I will not ever go back to doing it.

I see people all day long while im on the road that are texting while they are driving. I just wanna pull them over and tell them what I know. It's an epidemic that needs to stop.

The thing is, this is going to get worse. How many 10 to 15 years old do you see texting constantly? Unless something is done, these same kids are going to be driving soon and we will see even more people on the road texting. To some of these kids, it is as necessary as breathing and this is the way their parents are raising them. As long as the kids are quiet and not bothering them, thats great.

I guess we will have to let Darwin take care of it and we will just be the collateral damage.:backinmyday:

RandyA

My sincerest sympathies the the family.

In the old days 'car phones' had hands free where a microphone was on the sun visor. There were kits you could buy to accomplish this with early cel phones. You plugged your phone to a cradle in the car. It seems unless you get some sort of blue tooth and wear earphones or worse yet a headset this technology has drifted away. It would seem fairly simple to require a common interface on all cel phones (think usb) which would allow auto manufactures to build hands free into the cars.

Mike

I guess I consider taking on a hands free phone the same as talking to a passenger.

first it is rare for me to even answer a phone while driving. If I do it is just 1 button push to answer and have it on speaker phone. I then drop the phone in my shirt pocket and can talk hands free as if the person were next to me in the vehicle.

I do know some people that can not talk to a passenger and pay attention to the road at the same time.

I have different ring tone for those that I might actually want to talk to verses all others, If it ain't the right ring, I don't even look to see who it is. If it is important they will leave a message. If some one died, they will still be dead when I next stop. If they are critically sick, don't call me call 911.

I have seen people texting while driving a bike. When on the bike I do not even turn the phone on.

I think the no-texting law here has made things worse around here. Its illegal to text or use your cell except on a hands free device. and the fine is steep at about 250 bucks, and its a safety violation so a surcharge gets added to your insurance the following year. But as a result people are holding the phone in their lap and still texting so now instead of taking your eyes off the road and looking at the steering wheel they are now looking way down low in the car making response times even slower.

I got hit from behind while stopped at a red a while back and could see the girl looking down at the phone in her lap for about half a block before she hit me.I was trapped in a lane and couldnt go anywhere, good thing i wasnt on the bike.

Brian

They should make it a federal law that no cell phone works when inside a moving vehicle and force the cell phone companies to make them that way, no one, not even the police need to be on a cell phone while operating a vehicle, thats what the radios are for.........I am sick and tired of seeing all these people texting and reading text while driving. I dont drive and talk on the cell phones any more, I let the caller go to voicemail, when I stop, I check it and if its that important I will pull off the road someplace and make the call back. Common sense isn't all that common with some folks..............I have almost been hit several times by people on the phone or doing something else while driving while we are here in Fla for our family vacation.
Be careful what you wish for, You have very few freedoms left as it is. When will the gooberment have enough control of your life? As soon as the phone won't work while moving the geeks will have an app to bypass it. I would rather die at the hands of an idiot than have a politician tell me what I can eat how big my coke can be and how many squares of toilet paper I can use per day. Some things are worse than dieing.

Be careful what you wish for, You have very few freedoms left as it is. When will the gooberment have enough control of your life? As soon as the phone won't work while moving the geeks will have an app to bypass it. I would rather die at the hands of an idiot than have a politician tell me what I can eat how big my coke can be and how many squares of toilet paper I can use per day. Some things are worse than dieing.

Not when Innocent children are dying. There are a few things the government should get involved in and a bunch they should keep there noses out of. I believe this is one thing that would be worth giving up to save lives. Especially if that life is one of my loved ones who did nothing wrong except being in the path of some idiot who thinks texting a message to his girlfriend about something is more important than someones life. We may as well give everyone a pint of jack and send them down the road.

Not when Innocent children are dying. There are a few things the government should get involved in and a bunch they should keep there noses out of. I believe this is one thing that would be worth giving up to save lives. Especially if that life is one of my loved ones who did nothing wrong except being in the path of some idiot who thinks texting a message to his girlfriend about something is more important than someones life. We may as well give everyone a pint of jack and send them down the road.
Sadly innocent children have been dieing sense the beginning of time and a million laws later they are still dieing. The kid that did this should go to jail for years and loose his drivers license for years or life. But don't tell me I should give up my rights because he did it. Just because someone did something stupid with a motorcycle today should you have to turn yours in tomorrow? Its a matter of personal responsibility not a new law.

Talking on the phone and texting on the phone while driving is not a right anymore than drinking and driving is a right. I hate the government just as much as you and do not want them in my life and I also do not want to give up my liberties for safety but sometimes the right thing to do is the right thing to do. A person does not need a phone while driving for any reason. The program I am talking about will let the phone work for 911 and if you can give me a good reason why people need to die so someone can text or talk on their phone I can be convinced it should be allowed but I really see no reason that people dying is a good swap just so I/we can use a phone. Should people be allowed to use a computer or watch TV while driving?

Talking on the phone and texting on the phone while driving is not a right anymore than drinking and driving is a right. I hate the government just as much as you and do not want them in my life and I also do not want to give up my liberties for safety but sometimes the right thing to do is the right thing to do. A person does not need a phone while driving for any reason. The program I am talking about will let the phone work for 911 and if you can give me a good reason why people need to die so someone can text or talk on their phone I can be convinced it should be allowed but I really see no reason that people dying is a good swap just so I/we can use a phone. Should people be allowed to use a computer or watch TV while driving?
Talking on the phone is my right I have had a mobile phone sense 1994 I ran business on a mobile phone. I have made and taken thousands of phone calls while driving and never killed anyone. I could not have done what I did without talking while driving I did it responsibly I didn't answer a call if I didn't think it was safe I have ended calls because the road required my full attention at the time. Using your rational owning a motorcycle is not a right no one needs a motorcycle. If the man who died had been in an armored personnel carrier he would still be with us. An innocent person was killed somewhere today on a motorcycle so motorcycles should be outlawed. In the infamous words of Earl Pitts wake up America.

Condolences to you Daryl... from us

We have enough idiots on the road.... so thank goodness we have laws regarding the use of mobile phones while driving. If it saves some of the future users' of this planet [our children] then the gooberment can tell me not to use my phone while driving--and I'm fine with it!!

Aside from texting while driving, the kid was driving 60 mph down a very busy street during rush hour traffic, which alone in itself is plain stupid. After the accident he tried to run on foot, which is just as stupid as going that fast. He is looking at possibly life in prison. 1 count of first degree manslaughter, and 1 count 2nd degree manslaughter. 1st degree's max is life in prison, 2nd is 10 years. His bond is set at 100,000.

Edited by bj66

They(cell phone manfacturers) should make them inoperable unless operated thru blue tooth or hands free technology if your moving. As said before a built in GPS could determine this very easily. excption:911 calls

They(car manfacturers) should also install technology into all vehicles that doesn't allow it to start if your impaired from drug or alcohol use.

They (GOV) have already made seatbelts mandatory. (a good thing)

They (GOV & lawyers)have forced manfacturers to perform recalls for faulty equiptment. (a good thing)

Regardless of wether or not our GOV decides to create new laws on these issues, since they have already made it against the law to drive and text, it will only be a matter of time before the lawyers come out of the woodwork to sue the bejesus out of the nay-sayers/non-compliers. That my friend, will definately motivate the cell phone companies and car manfacturers into making some common sense changes.

:mo money: Talks...

Edited by CaptainJoe