IGNORED

Clutch slipping at high speed

hunter 1500

I've noticed my clutch slipping when I shift down to pass a car and get on to it in 3rd gear it seems to slip a little bit and then kicks in. Is this unusual for a bike with 28k. I have towed a trailer for some of that.

I don't really notice any other time.

My RSV has 45K on it and last week I noticed the clutch slipping for the first time. When I down shifted to 4th to pass a truck and full throttled it, the clutch slipped badly. I ordered the clutch upgrade kit from Skydoc17. I hope to get in put in this week.

Earl:thumbsup2:

Had the same thing happen to my 07 last month. Ordered the clutch kit from Earl (Skydoc17) and installed it in 30 minutes. Totally changed the clutch feel and performance. Love it.

Earl is super helpful. Trust me, if you can change your own oil, you can do this job.

Hello Everyone: I am not having any issues with my clutch as of yet. But we do ride two up most all of the time. After talking with BigLenny on the phone yesterday. Seeing this post last nigt and emailing Skydoc17 I just ordered my upgrade kit as a precaution. Thanks.:)

Are you using car oil in the bike? I put Castrol in my bike and the clutch starting slipping. I changed to Rotella and within 2 oil changes the chutch stopped slipping and I now have over 60,000 on it and going strong.

Been using Shell Rotella T6 for years in my bikes.

Hunter, Did you order just the spring, or the clutch friction plates too. I highly recommend doing the plates too.

Just started slipping so I ordered just the kit with the spring from Skydoc. That was what from reading I figured I would need.

When you take it apart just measure all of the friction discs.

A new disc is 3.00mm (.1181 inch) thick. The wear limit for a completely worn out disc is 2.80mm (.1102 inch) thick. not much of a difference there. When I did mine at 45K miles, all of the discs measured 2.95mm (.1165 inch) thick so I put them all back in. I fixed mine after the very first slip, if you are slipping for a while it is possible to have completely worn out the clutch.

If the discs are good then the steel plates should also be good. If the discs are worn then you need to also check the steels for wear.

When you take it apart just measure all of the friction discs.

A new disc is 3.00mm (.1181 inch) thick. The wear limit for a completely worn out disc is 2.80mm (.1102 inch) thick. not much of a difference there. When I did mine at 45K miles, all of the discs measured 2.95mm (.1165 inch) thick so I put them all back in. I fixed mine after the very first slip, if you are slipping for a while it is possible to have completely worn out the clutch.

If the discs are good then the steel plates should also be good. If the discs are worn then you need to also check the steels for wear.

Thanks. I will pick up a micrometer and check them. Been wanting to get one anyway.