IGNORED

Intercom Use

Cowboy67

I'm looking at buying a RSV and have read the owners manual on line. One thing it does not explain, and the salesman at the dealership couldn't tell me either, is how the intercom works. The manual only tells how to adjust IC volume. I'm used to the GW and HD where you can use it as PTT or as open mic. How does this one work?

The stock intercom works on the Hot-Mic principle where both mics are always open. One quirk is that it only works if at least ONE of the radios are on. The volume of the IC is completely independent of either radio. The volume of the radio can be turned to zero, but if both radios are turned off, the IC is dead.

Goose

I just bought a couple of "in-line mic mutes". I have to turn up the IC volume so much to hear the wife I allways had a "swosh" sound going on, and after a couple hundred miles it wears on me. So I opted to try these instead of the much more expensive mic mute you wire in. Have'nt had a chance to try them out yet though. No matter what you do this sytem is better then the old tap on the shoulder yell and hope they hear what you actually said. :whistling: Amazing how at 70 mph how "I got to pee" sounds like I"ll be OK.

In addition to the above info, when you talk it will mute the radio or cassette or whatever you are listening to.

This is not accurate on an RSV - the IC does not mute anything. The CB radio will mute the main radio, but the IC does not.

Goose

That is one more thing that makes the 1st Gen the better bike, everything mutes when you talk on the IC on the 1st Gen........................:stirthepot::stirthepot:

This is not accurate on an RSV - the IC does not mute anything. The CB radio will mute the main radio, but the IC does not.

Goose

Goose

Goose, I don't know about yours, but when we talk it mutes the radio. Maybe if you are listening to the speakers it may not, I don't know, but we always listen thru the headphones and any time we speak it mutes the radio, just like on the 1st gens do...

A hot-mic intercom NEVER mutes the radio - it would be an unbelievably irritating feature, as any ambient noise (even breathing on the mic or wind gusts on a motorcycle) would be CONSTANTLY muting the radio! It is conceivable that one could be designed with a mic sensitivity control in a weak effort to reduce the irritation, but I have never encountered such a system - even as an avionics technician in the Air Force.

Goose

Are you using the PTT button when you want to talk on the intercom? If the CB were turned on and you hit the PTT, then, and only then, would the radio be muted. (on a stock system).

Bad thing there would be that anybody on a nearby CB on the same channel would hear your conversation.

sp!ke

Goose, I don't know about yours, but when we talk it mutes the radio. Maybe if you are listening to the speakers it may not, I don't know, but we always listen thru the headphones and any time we speak it mutes the radio, just like on the 1st gens do...

Are you using the PTT button when you want to talk on the intercom? If the CB were turned on and you hit the PTT, then, and only then, would the radio be muted. (on a stock system).

Bad thing there would be that anybody on a nearby CB on the same channel would hear your conversation.

sp!ke

This is, basically, what the Mic Mutes (the system you wire in) the guys are talking about does. As I understand it, if you want to use the IC you press and relese the PTT button and the it opens the mics on the IC only. Repeat the process to turn the mics back off. If you want to talk on the CB you toggle the mics on them press the ptt button down as usual.

Someone, with Mic Mutes, correct me if I'm wrong.

Link to Freebirds installation.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=992

Edited by gibvel

Didn't have any problems on the first gen without mic mutes and the second gen works the same as my first gen did ( Only the back seat driver can't control the radio on a second gen ). The bottom line is while wearing your headset , if you don't have mic mutes, when you want to say something, just talk. Radio on , off, cassette, ipod, cb on doesn't matter. Want to talk on the cb, push the button and talk.

Talk when you want, listen when you have to . . .

Ours doesn't mute either on the intercom when we talk.

OK now you all have mewondering!! I have to admit I haven't ridden since Americade and going into the hospital. Maybe I AM thinking of my 1st gen!! The more I think about it, it IS an agrevation having to turn the volume down every time the wife wants to say something to me!! Yes, I am starting to remember now that's one more thing I don't like about my 2nd gen! No delay VOX on the audio circuit!!

Sorry to all, I'm getting a little senile in my old age...