IGNORED

Looking at purchasing a new royal star venture

Cowboy67

I've owned a Gold Wing and am currently riding a HD Ultra Classic Limited. Wife hates the ride of the harley. Spoiled by the Gold Wing I guess. Considering a Royal Star Venture. Any feedback on how this bike rates compared to the Ultra or the gold wing would be appreciated (engine performance, handling, suspension). Also what do your passengers think of the seat comfort.

there are several members that have both GW & RSV on here, they can give you better insight. But i can tell you the bike is awesome. I always thought I wanted a GW, but after 9 months & 13,000 miles I nor my wife wants anything else....Now I'll admit i'd like to have ABS brakes, FI and a CD player...but other than that I'd leave it as it is....

PS I'm starting to work at our local dealership as a salesman the 30th and they have 2012 RSV .. would love to see if I can save you some $$... :Venture:

Is the rear suspension adjustable on the venture?

Yep, mono air shock. Run it 0-50 lbs (use a small Harley zero loss pump)

PS: We were in Romney, WV a few weeks ago. The big dealer there was $17,950 on a new 2012 midnight, where the other dealer in Winchester, VA was sticker at $20,200, same bike.

That's probably only a few hours for you.

Welcome to the site. As far as power goes the Wing will always beat out both the RSV and HD. The RSV will always beat out a stock HD. Kind of rock paper scissors thing..LOL. If you like the riding position on the HD you shouldn't have a problem with the RSV. I can't handle the riding position on the Wing due to knee problems and my wife prefers the back seat on the RSV. Comfort of the seat is a relative thing. Some butts like some don't. Seat height on the RSV is probably higher then the HD so if you're height challenged that could be a problem but fixable. Hope this helps a little. Let us know what you decide.

Cowboy, even if you don't buy a RSV, pay the $12 to join here you will NOT find a better bunch with a wealth of information about a lot of bikes.. you will find that there are RSV, GW, HD, Kawasaki and other bikes on here...and they will gladly help anyway they can...Enjoy and WELCOME to the site!!

Welcome to the site. As far as power goes the Wing will always beat out both the RSV and HD. The RSV will always beat out a stock HD. Kind of rock paper scissors thing..LOL. If you like the riding position on the HD you shouldn't have a problem with the RSV. I can't handle the riding position on the Wing due to knee problems and my wife prefers the back seat on the RSV. Comfort of the seat is a relative thing. Some butts like some don't. Seat height on the RSV is probably higher then the HD so if you're height challenged that could be a problem but fixable. Hope this helps a little. Let us know what you decide.

Like you, I didn't like the seating position on the wing. Love the seat position on the HD. Wife has a bad back so she's a bit picky. I have a test drive set up for this weekend, so we'll see how it goes.

there are several members that have both GW & RSV on here, they can give you better insight. But i can tell you the bike is awesome. I always thought I wanted a GW, but after 9 months & 13,000 miles I nor my wife wants anything else....Now I'll admit i'd like to have ABS brakes, FI and a CD player...but other than that I'd leave it as it is....

PS I'm starting to work at our local dealership as a salesman the 30th and they have 2012 RSV .. would love to see if I can save you some $$... :Venture:

Would love for you to save me some cash, but I dont think I'd be able to make it down that way any time soon. Thanks anyway.

Yep, mono air shock. Run it 0-50 lbs (use a small Harley zero loss pump)

PS: We were in Romney, WV a few weeks ago. The big dealer there was $17,950 on a new 2012 midnight, where the other dealer in Winchester, VA was sticker at $20,200, same bike.

That's probably only a few hours for you.

Thanks. That's what I was hoping. I've also noticed a big difference in prices on new bikes too. Just across the border over in Indiana I can get one for $17,900 too. In Ohio they advertise for over $20k.

Guest tx2sturgis

I also own an HD ElectraGlide and there are many things to consider. If you are 'plugged into' the Harley Crowd you will get some negative feedback from some of your riding buddies, but most of it will be just kidding around. However, a few of those riders might take it as a reason to snubb you as a friend. So be it, you didnt need them anyway. Just my 2 cents. If you are at least average size, then the Venture should be managable. If you are a larger male, then the Venture will fit you even better. If your wife is small to average sized, she will get lost in the back seat area, since there are about 2 inches more passenger room. If she is a bit larger than average, then the Venture copilot seat should be a lot more comfy than the HD passenger seat. Power is there but you have to dig into the gearbox to find it. Drop a gear and you will easily pass most stock Harleys. Your riding buddies will get familiar with your tailight. The goldwingers, well, you will still be playing catch-up there. But the Venture can run faster than the HD's, pull the grades better, pull a trailer better, tolerate the summer heat better, and STILL 'fit-in' with a row of Harleys at the local watering hole, where the GoldThing never will. So everyone has a preference. Its a major purchase, but if you want something that kinda combines the best of BOTH worlds, then you wont be sorry.

I also own an HD ElectraGlide and there are many things to consider. If you are 'plugged into' the Harley Crowd you will get some negative feedback from some of your riding buddies, but most of it will be just kidding around. However, a few of those riders might take it as a reason to snubb you as a friend. So be it, you didnt need them anyway. Just my 2 cents. If you are at least average size, then the Venture should be managable. If you are a larger male, then the Venture will fit you even better. If your wife is small to average sized, she will get lost in the back seat area, since there are about 2 inches more passenger room. If she is a bit larger than average, then the Venture copilot seat should be a lot more comfy than the HD passenger seat. Power is there but you have to dig into the gearbox to find it. Drop a gear and you will easily pass most stock Harleys. Your riding buddies will get familiar with your tailight. The goldwingers, well, you will still be playing catch-up there. But the Venture can run faster than the HD's, pull the grades better, pull a trailer better, tolerate the summer heat better, and STILL 'fit-in' with a row of Harleys at the local watering hole, where the GoldThing never will. So everyone has a preference. Its a major purchase, but if you want something that kinda combines the best of BOTH worlds, then you wont be sorry.

You know I don't care what a person rides, BUT what is it with some HD riders.. they will cuss Japanese bikes but drive Japanese cars...Some seem to have a holier than thou attitude. I just don't get it...

Thanks for the viewpoint and the info. I'm 6' 200lbs, wife is 5'4" and 110lbs. She was cramped on the HD until I installed a tour pack relocator and moved it back a few inches. We do a lot of trips on the bike so I gotta keep her happy.

You know I don't care what a person rides, BUT what is it with some HD riders.. they will cuss Japanese bikes but drive Japanese cars...Some seem to have a holier than thou attitude. I just don't get it...

I hear ya. When I had the wing I always got snubbed by HD riders. Used to pi$$ me off. I dont care what anybody rides.....just ride!

Cowboy I think you'll love the RSV what with your experiences on the Wings & Harley. Plenty of power, really good seats compared to most bikes, plenty of room for you and the Mrs. and still have that cruiser look. Lots of storage room in the trunk and bags for those trips you like to take too.

With the V-4 engine it runs almost as smooth as the Wings do at all speeds and rpms.

The only real drawbacks are the fact that Yamaha has neglected to upgrade the bike over the years. ABS brakes, FI, better audios would be nice improvments to have. On the other side of the coin you can find parts very easly not that these bikes need much. It's not uncommon to see them with 100k on the odometer and more and still going strong.

Another good plus is Yamaha's warranty at 5yrs and unlimited mileage.

And do stick around here regrdless of brand you do decide on. Great bunch of people here.:thumbsup2:

Larry

Guest tx2sturgis

That attitude is also shared by SOME Goldwing riders...I have known a few who believe that the GW is the ultimate motorcycle, period. Some of them are quite cocky about it.

Certainly not all of them, or even most of them...but a few.

You could find the same attitudes among some Lexus or Hummer owners, or Peterbilt drivers, or....ahem....Apple computer owners....

:whistling:

That attitude is also shared by SOME Goldwing riders...I have known a few who believe that the GW is the ultimate motorcycle, period. Some of them are quite cocky about it.

You could find the same attitudes among some Lexus or Hummer owners, or Peterbilt drivers, or....ahem....Apple computer owners....

:whistling:

Yes I agree... I to have seen a few stuck up GW riders.. but more so HD...IMHO

its mostly hd riders here and though my RSTD is down and havent gotten a chance to ride it yet im already getting snubed by the hd riders excuse me the holyier than thou riders. guess they are mad at the fact they will have to get familiar with the looks of my tail light when its on the road come september :whistling::whistling::rotf::rotf: cowboy if you decide the 1 dollar a month is worth it welcome to the family

Why buy a new one when you can get a low mileage used one that still has warrenty for a bunch less. they have a 5 year warranty so if you got a hold over or 08 and newer you will have warranty left. same bike since 1999 no difference.

hush up over there you ride RSTD not a Venture:stickpoke:

You could find the same attitudes among some Lexus or Hummer owners, or Peterbilt drivers, or....ahem....Apple computer owners:whistling:

....first gen owners:stirthepot:...just kidding. :stickpoke: who love ya baby:innocent:

Like you, I didn't like the seating position on the wing. Love the seat position on the HD. Wife has a bad back so she's a bit picky. I have a test drive set up for this weekend, so we'll see how it goes.

Take a towel with you to stuff between the rear seat and the trunk as there is a gap there and some women find that by putting something in there it is more comfortable. Also, if she finds it a little cramped, there is an extra set of holes and the trunk can be moved back about an incxh. A small amount of McGuiver'ing is necessary foer the rear holes, you need some spacers for them...