I plan on using permatex to seal the stator cover up along with using a new stator cover gasket, and I need to make sure those rubber peices where the wires run through are also sealed good.

What kind of Permatex should I be using? Theres like... all these flavors!

Edited by JohnMidnight

I plan on using permatex to seal the stator cover up along with using a new stator cover gasket, and I need to make sure those rubber peices where the wires run through are also sealed good.

What kind of Permatex should I be using? Theres like... all these flavors! IT seems to me i tried that once and with out that gasket it pinches the starter drive gears and wont turn over, must have gasket!. someone will chime in soon to confirm or not.:hurts:

You might want to consider using crazy glue on the cloth wire cover that goes thru the gromet. It will keep the oil from wicking thru and cause a leak. Use Permatex afterwards to create a seal between the cover and the gromet. Think of it this way. You have three wires that are bundled, and down the center they will create a small gap. The type that oil loves and will drive you nutz....

So Jack,

:doh: Are you saying that Crazy Glue is the new duck tape????? :duck:

Not really.... More like a sealant. I use this method to secure splices from mono to spectra on my tuna rigs. I thought it might help get rid of the weepage..... Save Ducks!! Use Crazy Glue.... :sign woo hoo:

IT seems to me i tried that once and with out that gasket it pinches the starter drive gears and wont turn over, must have gasket!. someone will chime in soon to confirm or not.:hurts:

No gasket = solid, non-moving gears. But the OP said he will use permatex + gasket so he shouldn't have any binding issues. He's going for the belt & suspenders fix. Must really want to conserve that oil.

-Andrew

Just a note: I'd only use sealant on one side of the gasket. Me, I put it on the case side and stick the gasket to it.

There may be the day you find the need to open the old girl back up. I've done this many times and I get away without replacing the gasket and being able to reuse it several times without leakage. When pulling the cover off there is enough fight from the magnetic pull from the rotor and stator without having to fight the sealant also.

Condors idea on the Crazy Glue sounds like a decent trick to try in the future to seal up that pass through on the cover. I usually pack both sides of the pass through grommet with High Heat Black Silicone and have had great results.

Mike

:sign yeah that:

I very thoroughly clean the braided cover of the wires with brake cleaner to get any oil out of the cloth, and the then massage in the black RTV on both sides. I also use the black RTV to seal all 4 sides of the rubber grommet.

But I use the gasket sealant on the cover side so that if I do have to replace the gasket, it is a lot easier to clean old gasket from the cover than from the engine. Besides the RTV that I use around the wire grommet will make the gasket in that area want to stick to the cover anyhow.

I've got six (6) gaskets for the stator and final drive cover....... I plan to use them.

So Black RTV gasket sealant right? K... clean stator cables that we freshly re-run with brake cleaner (case of this, had sale crc) and then use crazy glue on the cloth, okay. Then Permatex RTV Gasket Sealant? Black stuff right? Right... okay.

Now, its good the sealant goes to the cover side, as I have not drained the oil, the oil is actually quite fresh... (it is also the 50/50 oil, part synethetic part natural) should I drain the oil completely or what?

So sealant and gasket to the cover side. K. I think I've got the right permatex, I'm not sure, its at the house now, I'll post what I picked up. I don't need oil shooting out and coating my saddlebag anymore (or my passenger :))

I use Yamabond or Hondabond (they are identical), but other sealants will work also. I just changed the stator on the 83, and it had been on for about 10-11 years and didn't leak. It was sealed with a Permatex sealant (black). The important part is to clean the wires and grommet with brake cleaner or some other de-greaser before you apply the sealant. The last 2 stators I've installed I used Hylomar on both sides of the gaskets. Hylomar is a non-drying sealant that Rolls Royce uses on jet engines. It was intended to be used without a gasket, but I decided not to chance it and used a gasket also.