IGNORED

oil on my kickstand

hunter 1500

I found the same thing, but only during a recent cross-country trip. Normally don't see it. I also assumed it was from the breather tubes.I keep my oil at the 1/3 to 1/2 level in the sight glass.

Edited by TwoStars

Over the past two days I've noticed the same thing on my '09 RSV. A drop of oil on the flat part of the side stand. Haven't had a chance to trace it down yet. Planning on looking at it tonight after work.

Doesn't happen when the stand is down. Seems to happen while riding and when I put the stand down.... there it is.

I found oil on my kick stand after switching to synthetic oil. It was a very small leak around the wiring grommets. I changed to Rotella-T, as recommended on this forum, and have not seen any oil since.:duck:

My 89 started same thing, around 25,000 miles, I re-sealed the rear case cover, several times, replaced the Brass O-Ring on the bottom, bolt, checked everything several times, and around 35,000 I just gave up on it. Its still leaks, the same at 89,000 miles as when it started !!!

Best fix, is just forget about it, and go for a ride !! :whistling::whistling:

My 89 started same thing, around 25,000 miles, I re-sealed the rear case cover, several times, replaced the Brass O-Ring on the bottom, bolt, checked everything several times, and around 35,000 I just gave up on it. Its still leaks, the same at 89,000 miles as when it started !!!

Best fix, is just forget about it, and go for a ride !! :whistling::whistling:

You must have a YamaHarley... :stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

Put it up on the jack last night and it comes from the breather tube. Seems to happen more on long warm rides. Thanks for the reply's, even the smart ones.

If so you may be over filling the crankcase. Never fill over 1/2 way of the sight glass with the bike sitting level.

This is mostly normal - it comes from the crank case breather via the air plenum drain tubes, and I have covered it in great detail in several of my older threads.

A couple of quick points - if you overfill the crankcase, it will do it much more. But any 2nd gen will show this after several days of hard long riding, even with the perfect amount of oil. Over time, you will also tend to see lots of oily dirt collecting around the #1 carb - it is from the same source, and it caused primarily by a design flaw in the placement of the drain in the left plenum.

Goose