IGNORED

1989 vent. Royale misfire?

SARNA66

Need a thin wall 18 mm plug deep socket a u-joint and ratchet.Takes a little practice to get good at it.

Beat me to the Sea-Foam George.

Run tank til it is as low as you dare, add a good dose of Sea-Foam. About 1/2 can. Run til you are sure carbs are full of this mix. Leave sit over night. Add some gas and run it like you stole it.

I would pull the plugs and inspect the color of the electrodes. Look for one that is different. They should be a even tan color. White and she's lean (danger of engine damage), black and she's rich.

You can also check resistance from inside each plug holder to the ignition fuse looking for 24K Ohms... 10K for the resistor in the plug holder and 13K for the secondary of the ignition coil.

Chris,

Some things to think about here...

Have you changed out the plug caps, wires and plugs recently, or at all since you have owned the bike?

Sometimes the TCI's will be intermittent, there are fixes for the circuit board in the TCI.

If you haven't done a tune up since you owned the bike, I would absolutely put one on it. Thats the very 1st thing I do unless I see a receipt that it had been done very recently to me purchasing it. This will be one less thing to have to worry about in troubleshooting a spark issue...:2cents:

• 1 month later...

You could also start it up cold, let it run a couple of minutes, and spray each exhaust pipe with water. If a cylinder isn't firing, it will be cool. It it's firing, it will be hot. If you know which cylinder isn't firing, it will help fix it.

Frank D.

I've got a 89 and I just had something similiar happen in the last few weeks. I had a leak out of one of carbs on the left side ( rear ). I tapped the carb with a plastic screwdriver and viola it has fixed it. It could be that your float valve has a little dirt in it. Seafoam and a few taps on the side of the diaphrams cover. Did it for me!! Good Luck !!

TONIGHT I TOOK OFF THE PLUG WIRE WHILE IT WAS RUNNING... THEY ALL MADE A DIFFERENCE -- SEAFOAM AGAIN?:fingers-crossed-emo

Nahhhh. It didn't work the first time. It wont work the second time either. You are putting too much faith in the Seafoam. :stirthepot:

Check Valve covers. Leaking down back of Cylinder? Don't go cranking on those bolts. They are shoulder bolts and WILL BREAK. You can check them to see if they are snug. Only about 7 lbs tourque!! Very little. Just feel to see if they are loose with a wrench.

AND SEA-FOAM!! As regular Maint. If it get very dirty go to Wally World and dump a can of BerryMans in it but run it out soon. I don't like to leave the Berrymans sit long in carbs.

If it get very dirty go to Wally World and dump a can of BerryMans in it but run it out soon. I don't like to leave the Berrymans sit long in carbs.

Thats a new name. Is that better for a carb that is running poorly.

Do you run it in the gas like seafoam?

yes but like yammerdan said dont leave it in too long run it out fast its a very good cleaner but can eat some stuff you need up i use it in my suburban 42 gal. tank last time i put a new fuel pump in it my tank was nice and shiny on the inside no varnish buildup in tank at all

Thats a new name. Is that better for a carb that is running poorly.

Do you run it in the gas like seafoam?

The product is actually called B12 Chemtool, it's made by Berryman

http://www.berrymanproducts.com/

I have used it for years, but make sure that you dont let it sit over a long period of time as it will eat up lots of stuff like orings. I usually put it in and let it set for a day or 2 and ride the tank out.