IGNORED

1989 vent. Royale misfire?

SARNA66

If its running good now, keep a fair dose of Sea Foam in the fuel for a couple of tanks and run the engine hard !!

Another item, is Screw the plug wires out of the plug caps, and Nip off 1/4 inch of wire and re-install.

Also, you might want to pull the Two Electrical plugs out of the TCI, and Clean the pins with a contact cleaner.

Do you know if this bike has ever been stored " Outside " for a prolonged period of time ? If so--- You might need to pull out the TCI, and remove cover and dry out any moisture inside. This is a fairly common problem.

Also, check the Two Allen Head bolts that mount the Intake Manifolds to the Cylinder heads. ( they are know to come loose !! ) Any Intake Vaccume leaks are bad on these bikes.

Also, check the Clamps above and below the Carbs, make sure everything is properly " Seated "

• 1 year later...

My problem is with my 1988 YVR. It starts easily and idles on 3 cylinders. And the tachometer does not work. If I add throttle, when it gets to about 1500 rpm the missing cylinder starts to fire and the tachometer starts working. Everything works as it should until I let off the throttle, then its back to 3 cylinders. What gives? Where should I look, do, pray for? HELP.

I have never heard of Berrymans, so I am assuming it must be some sort of Seafoam type of additive? I have good dose of Seafoam in it already. One thing I forgot to mention is, it is the left front cylinder. I don't know if that would be significant or not. I was told to take it out on the road and just run the beejeesus out of it but there are no high speed highways in the Grand Tetons National Park. I know the chief law enforcement ranger, but I don't want to stretch the relationship. Most of my riding up here is low speed and short distances. This problem just started and it was running good one minute and missing the next. Thanks for all the help. I will look for Berrymans.

I have never heard of Berrymans, so I am assuming it must be some sort of Seafoam type of additive? I have good dose of Seafoam in it already.

Berrymans is a problem solver.

Seafoam is a problem preventer.

Guys, I have never understood the comment "run it hard".

What is that supposed to do that running it normal wouldn't do?

Berrymans is a problem solver.

Seafoam is a problem preventer.

Good answer Ray.

I guess running it wide open gets cleaner into everything as much as possible. When I do this I run it at all speeds. Up and down. Seems to me this would get it into all of the carb it could.

It is the #2 cylinder dropping off. (left front) This morning it sounds and feels like all are firing, but still no tach. I have always understood that running an engine hard will shake or vibrate any gunk loose and clean the engine up a little. Like trying to burn up carbon stuck in the cylinder heads. An old wives tale? If I keep running it, and it is the TCI, what will be the result. Dead engine? Thanks for any all help. It is really appreciated.

Now I really don't know whats going on! This morning I fired the bike up and it's running on all 4 cylinders and I have a tach. What gives, is this typical of a TCI going out? Or, could I have an intermitant short. I hope not, I hate trying to trace shorts. However I did enjoy the smooth ride, hope it ztays this way.

Guys, I have never understood the comment "run it hard".

What is that supposed to do that running it normal wouldn't do?

Ray,

When many of us say run it hard, were talking about keeping the rpms up higher. This will help to clear out any carbon build up issues and will run more fuel through the carbs which will hopefully clear out more crud from them. I usually will get on a freeway and run the bike up to 80 mph or a bit more, making sure it gets to proper operating temp and keeping it there for 40 or 50 miles.

Every Japanese bike I have ever owned seemed like it ran better when I ran the hell out of it. I had an '86 Venture that never ran so good as after we ran it 80 to 90 mph due to being late for a M&E. The bike ran spotty before we left, but purred after I "Ran it hard" due to being late....this is what many of us are talking about concerning that statement :2cents:

Sounds like TCI problems. Have you done the Bake&Dry? Requires removing TCI opening up and baking in oven. Scared yet??

Bake at 100 f for about a hr I think is what most say. I did this with hair dryer but baking is probally better. Someone will jump in and tell you how to bake,look for bad things inside there and sealing it back up. We may have a thread for that its been a whike since I was in there. If you get it out most don't put it back where it is but on top of air box. Stays drier and easy access.

I baked a coil for an old outboard motor once. A friend dropped it in the Long Beach Marina for me. It seemed to work for a while, but then I bought new coils and it ran much better. Living in a motorhome full time, I don't have a shop to tear this thing down in. It has to be outdoors and disassembling it that far just scares the whatever out of me. I'll do something. Thanks

I would think that the coils, resting where they do, would always be operating at temperatures greater than 100 degrees. Therefore, what good would it do to bake them in an oven at 100 degrees for an hour? Somehow it just does not make much sense to me. Now that the weather has dried out, I am not having any trouble with the bike. Could it have just had some water some place it shouldn't have been?