IGNORED

Roadside assistance

Kirby

Sunday morning I was on my way back from Key West when my wife and I stopped in Port St Lucie to eat lunch at The Cracker Barrell. All seemed well up to this point. I had been cruising along at about 70-80 mph for the better part of the morning. After we finished our lunch we got back on the bike and started pulling out of the parking lot. I noticed that the bike felt kinda squirlly, so I pulled over under a big oak tree in the back of the lot and got off to take a look at the rear tire. It was almost flat. The tire gage wouldn't even register!! I normally run about 42 psi in the rear tire. So, I get out the air compressor and get it to going. The tire pumps up to 50 psi(this is the max cold tire pressure on the side of the Avon Venom). I listen, can't hear a thing. We decide to give it a few minutes(maybe 5) and recheck. The pressure is down to 47 psi. I roll the bike back and forth looking for a nail or something but can't find anything. Hook up the compressor again and pump it up to 52 psi. We get on and go looking for a place to stay and maybe a place to get some help if needed. After stopping for gas along the interstate I check it again and the tire was still holding 54psi ( partly from heating up on the road).

We take off again on the way home and stop in Daytona for the night. I check the tire again at the motel and it has 48 psi but it has also cooled down a little. I took it across the street and topped it off at 55 psi( taking into consideration that the tire is still a little warm). We go back to the motel and go to bed.

This morning before we leave, I check the cold pressure and now it's at 47 psi, so after 10 hours and cooling down completely, I tell the missus "Let's go". We leave Daytona and ride from there home which is about 5 hours. When I checked again at home it has 51 psi in it. So, tomorow , off comes the tire for inspection and possible fix or replacement. The tire has less than 2500 miles of which 1440 were on this trip.

Now for the question. What do you do as far as getting a tire replaced if, like this, it happens on a Sunday and all the shops are closed on Monday? Just stay in a motel until Tuesday?? A hole in a tire, I'm prepared to fix temporarily on the road. But what if the tire is beyond fixing?? I had the Venturerider list, but you know, I didn't the first time think of it!! Haven't looked to see if anyone was even near to where we were. Has anyone had any experience with the roadside assistance provided by Yamaha??

Sounds like it could be a valve stem/core issue. If you didnt find anything and it would be OK then not. On the shops issue, yea I dunno why they are all closed Mondays. I guess because they are open on Sat? Dont know if Yamaha would do anything for being you are darkside on the rear. Glad you made it OK at any rate.

I didn't realize that Avon Venoms were considered darkside tires now.

I was in Joplin, MO on my Roadstar, 2 up pulling a trailer on a Sunday afternoon. Stopped at the Petro while riding from Effingham, IL to Amarillo, TX.

While checking the bike out, I found that the rear tire had worn down to the cords.

We hotelled it for the night. In the morning, I called all the bike shops in Joplin to find they were all closed. Talked to some Petro employees and found out there was a Harley shop at the next exit. I rode up there and dug through their used tire pile out back and found a decent replacement. Went back to the hotel and changed the tire in the parking lot.:cool10::cool10:

Good Idea, never thought of finding a tire in a shops junk pile...but could really get ya out of a jam!!:clap2:

I was in Joplin, MO on my Roadstar, 2 up pulling a trailer on a Sunday afternoon. Stopped at the Petro while riding from Effingham, IL to Amarillo, TX.

While checking the bike out, I found that the rear tire had worn down to the cords.

We hotelled it for the night. In the morning, I called all the bike shops in Joplin to find they were all closed. Talked to some Petro employees and found out there was a Harley shop at the next exit. I rode up there and dug through their used tire pile out back and found a decent replacement. Went back to the hotel and changed the tire in the parking lot.:cool10::cool10:

It sounds like your not even sure if it is even the tire that is leaking. before going to a lot of work and expense I would suggest that you first spray down the tire with soapy water and look for bubbles. Also take off the valve cap and spray the valve stem including the rubber seal were the stem comes through the rim. You could have a bad valve core or stem seal. Put a new core in anyway.

Food for thought, I had that happen a few of times on my 83VR. Come out one day and it would be almost flat, air it up and would hold for weeks at a time, then out of nowhere it would go flat again when parked. Turned out to be a bead leak and if the bike was parked with the tire in a certain position it would leak. Used soapy water to check cleaned rim and no more leaking. Strange but true.

Not entirely sure about roadside assistance from Yamaha, but roadside assistance through the Motorcycle Riders Foundation (MRF) is a great value. If you have looked into AAA's roadside assistance, you'll see that you need a 'recreational vehicle' policy so that it will cover your motorcycle in addition to a regular AAA policy. The MRF Roadside Assistance is about a third (or less) the cost of AAA's plans. The most expensive one ($49.95/year) covers your 4 wheel vehicles as well as your bikes.

http://www.mrf.org/roadside.php

It has saved me several times.

I would suspicion the valve and core first. But as already said, check with soapy water to find the culprit first, then go from there.

I do not know who changed your tire, but is always a good idea to clean that rim and inspect before putting the new tire back on. I know mine had about 12,500 on her when I did my front and rear tire change myself. I did clean the inside of both rims and they where dirty with rubber residue that had to be cleaned off with a light wire bristle brush for cleaning copper line before soldering. Worked great with a little 220 sand paper. I then wiped the inside down with a little light oil on a rag. Hope you find the problem and please let us know.

James

As far as Yamaha Road Side assistance, all they are going to do is get you a tow to the nearest repair shop. If they happen to be closed I am not sure what happens then, probably you would need to work something out with the tow operator. If you are X miles from home they will pay for trip interuption, but there is no guarentee that they will find you a shop that is open, only to the closest shop.

On weekends most Harley dealers are open, it is always a crap shoot as to whether they will work on a metric bike or not, some will, many will not.

Man that was a good idea. I'll have to remember that. Question: If you take off the saddle bags and the axle nut from the left side, is it possible to lay the bike over on the crash bars like they say you can a Goldwing and pull the tire off?

You passed bye my house and didn't even call, I feel so unloved. :shock3:

Hey Tom, Man I couldn't think of anything but getting home. I stayed in a motel that night and walked the floor making sure no one was gonna rip off the bike. The manager told me when I got there his was stolen not long before.

Well I got the tire off today and sure enough, there was a small puncture down in the tread. It looked too small even for a nail. Whatever punctured the tire came out. I quess when it sat a certain way for a while it would leak down. Cleaned it all up, put the patch on the inside , and remounted. Thanks for all the tips on using soapy water. I've done this many, many times before since I change all my bike tires. It worked again today. Now, getting ready for my next trip.

Well I got the tire off today and sure enough, there was a small puncture down in the tread. It looked too small even for a nail. Whatever punctured the tire came out. I quess when it sat a certain way for a while it would leak down. Cleaned it all up, put the patch on the inside , and remounted. Thanks for all the tips on using soapy water. I've done this many, many times before since I change all my bike tires. It worked again today. Now, getting ready for my next trip.

Wonder if Ride-On would have taken care of it? I just put it in the tires on the RSV and my trailer. :confused24:

Wonder if Ride-On would have taken care of it? I just put it in the tires on the RSV and my trailer. :confused24:

Hey Walt, I'm gonna order a couple of bottles tonight. I'm pretty sure Ride On would have taken care of this little hole with ease.